The rebirth of IC2 ?

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I would at least be ok with IC2's new crafting if the rewards it gave were at least equal to what the other main tech mods (TE3, Mek and EnderIO) gave. That way, while it still may not be the easiest option or for everyone, it at least wouldn't feel like you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by choosing IC.

Look at Railcraft vs. Ender Tanks/Chests. They ultimately accomplish the same thing, but while RC costs vastly more it can also do more thanks to trains.

As it stands IC2 Exp is less powerful and more boring than essentially all other alternatives and in some cases outright unusable (hello, late-game e-net). Nothing IC2 has is unique anymore. EVEN CROPS are going to be replicated, better.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like part of the problem is that we all started our modded Minecraft careers with IC2 and it just feels old and cliche now since we're so used to it.

Very true.

It doesn't help, though, that the changes are bringing it closer and closer to the tedium and grind level of GregTech, a mod that's already highly controversial for it's excessive (IMHO) level of tedium and grind. And all the while it's not really doing anything new. It's just making what we already could do take much longer for what appears, to most of us anyways, to be no good reason.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like part of the problem is that we all started our modded Minecraft careers with IC2 and it just feels old and cliche now since we're so used to it.
It also doesn't help that every other mod is improving with new models, more server friendly machines, and fun new ideas. IC2 just keeps beating a dead horse.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
It also doesn't help that every other mod is improving with new models, more server friendly machines, and fun new ideas. IC2 just keeps beating a dead horse.

IMO many mods' new models don't fit too well with Minecraft (eg Mekanism).

Just because there are new ideas doesn't mean all old ideas are bad (would you remove all ore doubling?).

And [citation needed] on server friendly machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitefulFox

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair to IC2, they have at least updated the textures. I'm still not as fond of their style as compared to, say, Thermal Expansion, but it's definitely progress there.
As for the changes...part of the reason I stopped using IC2 as much was the tedium of crafting in it. Making circuits for everything gets old fast. The fact that they added more steps to everything makes little sense to me. At least when Greg added the assembler, he made things cheaper if you went through the effort (to some degree). More things to automate can indeed be fun, but I don't think that should be the main focus.

The electricity changes also seem to be a step backwards. As someone further upthread said, it's now "transformer craft". So you either hook transformers to every machine or install a transformer upgrade into each of them. Yay, more pointless crafting!

If they wanted to take a page out of Gregtech's book, I think adding in his covers and various automation machines would be a good first step. They'd need some...usability updates, shall we say, but they'd add some nice functionality to IC2. As it is, you still have to use other mods to automate anything, right?

They did buff nuclear reactors though, right? That's definitely nice. It was a huge investment for the return before.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I've been watching Direwolf20 use IC2-ex, but I haven't played around with it too much myself.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Look at Railcraft vs. Ender Tanks/Chests. They ultimately accomplish the same thing, but while RC costs vastly more it can also do more thanks to trains.
right. however when you need to light up a cigarette ender thingies will offer you a lighter while RC will offer you a blowtorch.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
IMO many mods' new models don't fit too well with Minecraft (eg Mekanism).

Just because there are new ideas doesn't mean all old ideas are bad (would you remove all ore doubling?).

And [citation needed] on server friendly machines.
Check TE's code and how well optimized it is.

Reactions: PierceSG

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Check TE's code and how well optimized it is.
Which part of the code should I look at?

Edit: Without looking at the code yet (waiting for KL's permission or not) I would guess that an IC2 furnace and a TE furnace use about the same amount of CPU. In fact, the TE one might use slightly more if there are items in its output slot, since it has to check if it can fit in an adjacent inventory (remember that hopper on FC3?).

Last edited:

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. It's surprisingly lightweight. Get a TE furnace and an IC2 furnace and half a stack of potatos. Dump 16 of the potatos into TE's Furnace and read the console. After that, do the same thing with IC2's furnace.
Now, tell me, where did that red wave come from? 2fort? Dustbowl? Badwater?

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
KL says he saw the results of someone who actually measured it, and the TE furnace was ~5x as fast.

There's no magic that IC2 couldn't do if they wanted to, btw... it just seems they have other priorities (like messing up the energy net)

Reactions: Pokefenn

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
So, I recently saw that apparently IC2 does have upgrades that allow autoejecting now. That's pretty cool actually. If they take those filler machine block things Gregtech used to make "pipes" out of, they could have a unique item transport system. Again, it just needs a little more usable UI. I'm still not sold on switching from TE, but that as at least a useful, functional addition.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
So, I recently saw that apparently IC2 does have upgrades that allow autoejecting now. That's pretty cool actually. If they take those filler machine block things Gregtech used to make "pipes" out of, they could have a unique item transport system. Again, it just needs a little more usable UI. I'm still not sold on switching from TE, but that as at least a useful, functional addition.
The autoejectors have been in for a while. At least since 1.5.x. Note that you can right click them (or shift click) on a block to make them eject in that direction. IE click on the south side of a block to make them eject to the south.

Reactions: jokermatt999