The rebirth of IC2 ?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, actually, it is. If you want to not lose 75% of your energy in your transformer, you need 4x output cables attached to it. This is how it works, both in theory and in practice (having used it in Resonant Rise to experiment and come to factual conclusions).

No it's not. I already tested this specifically before, but sure, I'll do it again for you right now. Just rebuild this setup - one CESU each outputting through a LV transformer into either one or two CESUs - and flip the lever to start the transfer at the same time. Then observe how fast the single CESU fills compared to the pair. You will find that the single one fills exactly twice as fast. Also, both outputting CESUs output at exactly the same rate.

A transformer in step-down mode is a throughput choke, nothing more, nothing less. It acts as a cable that will let through no more than its "down" rating, but is safe from explosions up to its "up" rating. It's like a machine that can accept more than it can actually use - exactly like, you know, 95% of all other IC2 machines. Attaching cables to multiple output faces splits the throughput between those cables, exactly like all other IC2 power emitters with multiple output faces (all generators, for example). You do not get extra throughput. Four cables on a EV transformer in step-down mode will receive 512 EU/t each, not 2048 EU/t each.

And a stepping down transformer does not waste a single EU, either. They never did in the past and they never do now. You can also test this in your test world by doing MFSU -> HV transformer -> MV transformer -> LV transformer -> recycler. If what you claim is true, then the MFSU would be outputting at up to 2048 EU/t, because that's what the HV transformer accepts on the "up" side, and all transformers in the row loose all power they do not transmit (or at least, 75% of it). But the reality is that the recycler consumes 1 EU/t, and the MFSU transmits 1 pulse sized 2048 EU every 2048 ticks - that is, every 102.4 seconds. Go on, try it. There is no energy loss in transformers.

Now, when the transformer is stepping up, then yes, you are supposed to attach four lower-rated cables to its multiple input faces in order to sum up the throughput and get the full rating of the "up" side. However, that functionality is currently redundant, because simply attaching four low-rated cables to a high rated cable (they do connect fine) will perform the same function. After all, all packets in a cable in a tick are summed up into one single pulse automatically right now. Cables have infinite step-up transformers built-in, if you will. This will probably change later-on when the e-net gets its full rework. Until then, don't bother building transformers for stepping up, and set all down transformers into fixed step-down mode to avoid errors.

Actually, the bigger roadblock is that you can't generate over 8192 EU/t from a single source, or set of multiple sources, period. Nothing can accept higher than that, the transformer simply truncates more than that, and there IS no higher tier.

Of course you can generate more than 8192 EU/t from a single source and still use it. As demonstrated above, a power source with multiple output faces splits its output between all faces that have receivers connected, and all generators can output on all their faces. So you could have one single generator outputting 32k, and attach glass fiber to 4 individual faces of it (making sure the cables don't connect), and then power 4 individual upgraded massfabs.

Nuclear reactors are predestined for this because they have a ton of output faces so you can easily connect several cables without getting into space issues. The larger (and thus more powerful) the reactor becomes, the more faces it has available.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I guess we've just to learn with it that IC2 is dead and IC2 exp is just a whole new mod, which is a combination of the old IC2 and Gregtech.
so comparing IC2 and IC2 exp isn't a thing you should be doing anymore... I do hope though that instead of constantly nerfing things and adding more tedious things, that they'll also add some new things that actually help a player instead of making it just harder, and harder, and harder and then some more harder

Reactions: MigukNamja

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I guess we've just to learn with it that IC2 is dead and IC2 exp is just a whole new mod, which is a combination of the old IC2 and Gregtech.
so comparing IC2 and IC2 exp isn't a thing you should be doing anymore...
the way i see IC2 is a cadaver and IC2 exp is a zombie. they have some similarities but very different.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
so comparing IC2 and IC2 exp isn't a thing you should be doing anymore... I do hope though that instead of constantly nerfing things and adding more tedious things, that they'll also add some new things that actually help a player instead of making it just harder, and harder, and harder and then some more harder

It'd be better to say old IC2 and old Gregtech. New Gregtech adds more discrete technological tiers, moving first through a bronze age of steam before getting to electricity and beyond.

Reactions: jokermatt999

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Are the end-game recipes just assuming that people are going to be chunkloading Quarries/Tunnelbores/ArcaneBores/LaserDrills? I remember playing IC2 back in 1.2.5 on a server that didn't allow quarries and it took me quite a while to get the diamonds needed for the MFE and MFSU.

Either some very dedicated spelunking or some form of automatic resource generation, yes. Quarries, MFR laser, miner, bees, Arcane Bore, etc.,.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
the way i see IC2 is a cadaver and IC2 exp is a zombie. they have some similarities but very different.

IC2's dead body lies on the ground, and IC2 exp zombie comes by and starts eating the dead body of IC2

Zdmd1dh.jpg

IC2 exp zombie slowly starts munching on the body parts and organs of IC2, and IC2 exp zombie's body seems to be absorbing the flesh of IC2.

It'd be better to say old IC2 and old Gregtech. New Gregtech adds more discrete technological tiers, moving first through a bronze age of steam before getting to electricity and beyond.

I haven't played with gregtech since unleashed... well, I also haven't played with IC2 since unleashed, but it's nice to know there's actually some order of ages in gregtech...

Reactions: Loufmier

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
IC2's dead body lies on the ground, and IC2 exp zombie comes by and starts eating the dead body of IC2

Zdmd1dh.jpg

IC2 exp zombie slowly starts munching on the body parts and organs of IC2, and IC2 exp zombie's body seems to be absorbing the flesh of IC2.

I haven't played with gregtech since unleashed... well, I also haven't played with IC2 since unleashed, but it's nice to know there's actually some order of ages in gregtech...
IC2 becomes zombie and attacks IC2 exp zombie. GregZombie then helps IC2 exp zombie by attacking IC2 zombie.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
And a stepping down transformer does not waste a single EU, either. They never did in the past and they never do now. You can also test this in your test world by doing MFSU -> HV transformer -> MV transformer -> LV transformer -> recycler. If what you claim is true, then the MFSU would be outputting at up to 2048 EU/t, because that's what the HV transformer accepts on the "up" side, and all transformers in the row loose all power they do not transmit (or at least, 75% of it). But the reality is that the recycler consumes 1 EU/t, and the MFSU transmits 1 pulse sized 2048 EU every 2048 ticks - that is, every 102.4 seconds. Go on, try it. There is no energy loss in transformers.

The new system is still a lot clumsier to use than the original power system. In the past, if you had 128 EU in available, then you would still have 128 EU after an LV transformer. Just now in 4 packages a 32 EU, which meant you can run a lot of machines off the same line.

With the new system you have 32 EU, period. If you would use just a few overclocked machines, then they would run out of power and at the same time you have 96 EU still unused. The only possible solution to this is, to leave the power in the cable at 128 EU and give each machine its own transformer or transformer upgrade(s).
And as soon as you make a mistake and route some additional power into a line, then it won't add it as a new package anymore. It will simply increase the overall power and your cables and machines will blow up. Welcome to TransformerCraft 2.0, so much fun ...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Just seems odd. I was always under the impression that auto-miners were glowered upon by those of the "Hardcore!!!!!" philosophy.

It depends on how the "auto-mining machine" is added to the game
Material Cost to setup
Energy needed to power it
How fast does it go
How much can it dig in one cycle
How easy is it to setup
Also on how much damage it does to the world.

Thaumcraft bore, RP, RC and SC tunnelers, IC2 all have some very neat stuff that takes a little skill to really master.
Buildcraft you just slap it down and boom- insta hole. (I kinda preferred them before they had a massive speed buff)​

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Mekanism mining. Simple, elegant, and intelligent. Not to mention the fact that, should you upgrade it (and honestly, who DOESN'T upgrade their machines?), it becomes a way to clear entire chunks (or more) of their goodies...provided you give it enough power.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer Mekanism mining. Simple, elegant, and intelligent. Not to mention the fact that, should you upgrade it (and honestly, who DOESN'T upgrade their machines?), it becomes a way to clear entire chunks (or more) of their goodies...provided you give it enough power.
Too bad that FTB's probably never gonna use Mek...

Reactions: RedBoss

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I am now loving the mods after I tried my hand at compiling private packs myself. I can choose what I want to play with.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk