The rebirth of IC2 ?

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Right?!

How does not everyone seeeeee this, it's unbelievable. FCHS everyone's centered on the bloody furnace GUI like it's the holy grail of modding. It's been around since modding and it's not exactly hard to come up with something different and the GUI's are as often as not completely pointless.

So WHY. It's completely incomprehensible for me WHY three quarters of the machines out there are just a furnace interface. Sure, sometimes there's two inputs, sometimes there's two outputs, or four in a cross, sometimes energy is fuel, sometimes it's coupled with a crafting bench. And yes, I know that if you simplify every process know to man, it's just mats + fuel + time = output, BUT that doesn't mean you SHOULD simplify every process into this. You know what I hate? Multiblocks that are in fact just an inflated single block furnace GUI. This goes completely against why building in Minecraft is fun. Building in vanilla minecraft is fun because you have a swath of simple blocks, with simple functionality, which you can connect to make wonderful contraptions. Proof is vanilla mobtraps, piston elevators, piston doors, redstone computers, railway systems - your call. Building a rigid 3x3x4 structure to do something as extremely simple as using coal to turn one iron ingot into one steel ingot at a time and call it a blast furnace feels like sacrilege to me. This could have been so much more fun. Instead of fun we have a big slow furnace everyone hates, bravo *slow clap* bravo.

You know why RP was fun? Because Elo "got it". That's why there were block breakers and block placers and frames and stuff. So that you could move and shape and change by creating and moving and shaping a giant contraption in the world. Because you could see things move and work and just be giddy with excitement at seeing your clockwork baby making its first giant steps.

We really gotta return to this. The tedium of using steamroller-tank-can-opener-sledgehammer single block machines that make your coffee, do your homework and give you a BJ to do the simplest of tasks (like driving a screw) is starting to drive me nuts.

Couldn't agree more being given the pieces and then designing a complex overengineered creation to do what you want was why RP2 still hasn't been equaled sure some parts of it have but the current best Frame replacement just does everything for you, no need to figure out where why and how to cover\strip\wire\connect, it's also why TE is good the machines themselves are great but the ability to customize the i-sidedness lets you build systems to do what you want them to.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
TE has been given a lifespan and not a very long one.
Right, because nobody at all will take up the task of maintaining or adding to TE once King Lemming stops developing it. Because he has refused to allow anybody to decompile his mod or steal any ideas from it.

Oh, wait...
Thermal Expansion License said:
I request that anyone who decompiles Thermal Expansion please ask first. Realistically, I have no way of stopping you and do not plan on being a jerk and obfuscating the code, so fire away I guess, but a courtesy ping would be nice. Also, if you copy any features or ideas from what you glean from the code, I also request that you give credit for said ideas or features.

Honestly, I don't see TE dying out any time soon. The mod itself may no longer be developed once it reaches a certain point, but that doesn't mean nobody will attempt to decompile it and port it up to newer MC versions, or use it as inspiration to make their own mod. Just look at how many Redpower-ish mods started popping up over the past few months.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Liquiducts, Liquiducts, Liquiducts, heh in the scenario I am talking about there are no liquiducts, only BC pipes. Take a look at your base and count the number of liquiducts\redstone energy tubes now remove them, take a look at your ore processing and it's footprint now replace all of that with say 6 smelteries that can handle a large amount of incoming materials with no tesseracts, so no very easy nether lava and no magma crucible, hell no liquid transposer to make filling cells\cans easy either. Very different picture isn't it? picture your boilers (which I am fairly sure almost everyone uses) without AA's to provide water, this is the modded environment I am talking about ... though I do have to admit it sounds like it could be fun to try hmm may have to set up a pack without TE :D

Extra utilities liquid nodes... I don't use boilers..there are a ton of other options for energy, Lava? I can get that with an ender-thermic pump with less lag and can transport using mystcraft and railcraft. I can think of alot of ways to not use TE since I have done it before without TE

Also I can expand my base and use railcraft to handle the transport of ores using enderchests, loaders and unloaders. As graceful? No but can be done

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ah, so kinda like how one has to make casting molds and melt down their metal in the smeltery before making metal tools with Tinker's Construct? It was quite a bit easier before that change, but I do like the new tools that came with it.
Yeah I'm not keen on the smeltery idea. I haven't built one yet, I'm sill using the copper pick axe that I found the headpiece for in a village.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
"Got rid of most refined Iron requirements. Refined Iron is going to be removed soon ,as its sole purpose was preventing Recipe conflicts"
Interesting, will miss refined iron :(

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
"Got rid of most refined Iron requirements. Refined Iron is going to be removed soon ,as its sole purpose was preventing Recipe conflicts"
Interesting, will miss refined iron :(

I guess instead of cooking iron to make refined iron, now you use a hammer on normal iron to make iron plates.

now that makes more sense and is less of an useless step (instead of smelting you use a hammer)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Does this mean the plates and need for styrofoam hammers are just there to get rid of refined iron? Was refined iron seriously an issue for anyone?

No, but it was kinda annoying to have to re-smelt iron, so if you can create the components instantly instead of having to toss them in a furnace again I think it's an improvement. I just hope they either get rid of the hammer durability or improve it a lot because 80 uses is just annoying.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
No, but it was kinda annoying to have to re-smelt iron, so if you can create the components instantly instead of having to toss them in a furnace again I think it's an improvement. I just hope they either get rid of the hammer durability or improve it a lot because 80 uses is just annoying.

Inb4 electric hammer.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

My understanding is that the compressor is used to make plates in default ic2. There's also going to be a metal former, but my understanding is that's for things like battery casings and wires.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
My understanding is that the compressor is used to make plates in default ic2. There's also going to be a metal former, but my understanding is that's for things like battery casings and wires.
and since when compressor is used for creating plates? the metal former thingy, is probably the plate bender of IC2.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
ic2 its getting more "stevecartstified" (or whatever the word should be) in he sense of "you need 4 of this to make 1 of that and 8 of that to make 2 of those and 3 of those that you combine with 3 of it and you get a simple module"

I have the materials to make a galgarodian (however you spell that) tree cutter but I just dont craft it for the giant PITA that it is to craft it

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

Spaceshipable

Jul 29, 2019
The electric wrench is just as rediculous. Wrenches and hammer last longer than most people. Period. *sighs*

Well electric wrenches (Sort of a drill i guess) are for haste as opposed to durability IRL. I think it's a toss up between having the wrench take ages to remove a machine or it just having a low durability. With hammers however there is no real world equivalent to an electric hammer which makes any sense so I would like the hammer to last longer.

I am hoping that some of the greg powergen and utility machines come in to IC because like Poppycocks said it's better to have the components to make something happen than a ready made solution.