The rebirth of IC2 ?

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
This wasn't Greg though, he's still only doing backend work.

So it's exactly what some of us wanted, some of the GT stuff is being rolled into IC2, but none of the super-tedious stuff. I can't wait to try it
I can't understand what's so great about needing plates to make everything, then needing hammers or a machine to make those plates (and needing extra steps to make cables as well). Seriously, everything was fine enough as it was before, and please try to not mention realism in a game where everything is a cube. Change for the sake of change, just because IC2 was stagnating, is not a good thing, especially if it's this kind of change.
I don't think I'll want to touch 1.6.x or this IC2 update any time soon, so I'll just continue watching Dire's videos to see if the new machines are really worth all the Gregification.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I can't understand what's so great about needing plates to make everything, then needing hammers or a machine to make those plates (and needing extra steps to make cables as well).
Well, the hammers and plates weren't the part of GT I wanted brought in, but the machines I'm excited for. IC2 feels lacking in machines, there isn't anything above the basic processing line other than throwing upgrades in to speed them up. Now we'll have some more advanced processing (sounds like it'll be similar to factorization but faster).

And I don't think needing plates for machines will be so bad. It's not really any different than making invar or electrum for TE, or RC plates and steel. The main gripe when GT introduced hammers for plates was needing them for basic vanilla tools.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I just don't like how low the durability on the new tools required for the new steps are.

80 durability on a hammer? What the boop? I regularly use hammers that are over a century old. Hammers just don't break that easy unless you get one with a bad handle or something. This is just pointless complexity adding in pointless resource bleed.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I just don't like how low the durability on the new tools required for the new steps are.

80 durability on a hammer? What the boop? I regularly use hammers that are over a century old. Hammers just don't break that easy unless you get one with a bad handle or something. This is just pointless complexity adding in pointless resource bleed.
This is by you-know-who. And your century old hammer is OP, too bad he can't nerf that. ;)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not liking the hammer/wirecutter addition. Just looks like having a Resource Sink for the sake of having a Resource Sink. Making it a stopgap measure until someone can make a new machine to make the plates/wires is a very GregTech-like way of doing things. "This machine fulfills a need that we artificially created in the first place!"

At least it's something contained within IC2 instead of spilling over to the rest of the game like with GregTech's plates.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This is by you-know-who. And your century old hammer is OP, too bad he can't nerf that. ;)
He can bloody well step into my forge and try, if he thinks he can get away with it. Sure, I might just be a 'hobbyist' smith, but I can still turn out workable pieces. Hobbyist or not, no one touches my tools without my permission.

Ahem... anyways... if the hammer didn't have such a laughable endurance, it might almost have an inadvertent point.

By making a copper plate with a copper ingot and a hammer, you are using a different Item ID. While this can be bad for conservation of ID's, it is good for the purposes of being able to have similar recipes with different items producing different results. So if there comes a time where they want to make something different, but wanted it to basically be the same recipe as something already existing, you can apply this principle.

I just have a knee-jerk reflex opposing disposable tools. Particularly ones which are used exclusively as sub-combines.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It's not really any different than making invar or electrum for TE, or RC plates and steel. The main gripe when GT introduced hammers for plates was needing them for basic vanilla tools.
Those alloys are needed because all the engines have the same basic recipe but with different metals. Need a new engine? Need a new alloy. I usually make my alloys in stacks of 64 so it never bothered me too much apart from the first time I have to make a few bronze.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I've never been much of a speculator. I'd rather see how this turns out in an offical release before I make any judgements on a dev build.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be appropriate if I posted stuff I've learned about this new version thru decompiling the public, deobfuscated JAR that they've got at the link that was posted in the OP? Some of it seems...pretty interesting.

(For those wondering, I'm merely decompiling it for learning purposes, I'm not stealing anything!)

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
...This seems a lot like change simply for the sake of change, which is never a good thing.

Not that I actually use IC2 at all anyway, but I'm not sure whether this makes me want to start using IC2 stuff again or just straight-up remove it from my instance. I've only used something from IC2 once in the last several worlds I've had, and that was actually one of the solar panels from an addon, which I used to temporarily power my AE system while upgrading my MJ generation from coal-fed hobbyist steam engines to ethanol-fueled combustion engines.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Quick honest question.

We're a community that knows people, and failing that some of us have been fans watching (stalking) certain folk long enough that we like to think we know how those folks think.

If IC2 dev team came to the maintainers of advanced machines (Either, or, both forks) and asked, do you think they would accept being merged into the main mod?
probably. If I made an ic2 addon and the dev team asked me that, as long as I would be credited I would definitely say yes.

Sent from a rich kids phone that I stole. (I'll regift it soon)

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be appropriate if I posted stuff I've learned about this new version thru decompiling the public, deobfuscated JAR that they've got at the link that was posted in the OP? Some of it seems...pretty interesting.

(For those wondering, I'm merely decompiling it for learning purposes, I'm not stealing anything!)

You'll get a warning for that

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I have done some testing on the experimental IC2 version, and some of the changes are good, some are neutral, and others are a bit Greggy, but they aren't too bad resource wise tbh. they just add steps when not using automation. the hammer is there as an early access to machines tool, as soon as you have your basic set going you have a machine for making the plates. yeah that part is a bit greggy, but it's not full on bad. it actually reminds me a lot about how redpower handled the cable thing. i won't say anything more about this part.
now to the part i like:
backend changes to the power network. they have made it so that all power suppliers are synchronized together on the same line. this means that if you put too many on the line they will blow up your machine, but guess what. you can just put a transformer at the end of the line to downsize the packets at the other end. the transformers take one packet in, and spaces them out over time in order to feed the machines the correct packet size. the old ic2 power network lag has been greatly reduced. they have also removed electrocution and cables exploding. this might be added back in, but in the current x version cable type and length does not cause any type of energy loss. (it's a work in progress, so this i seriously expect to change)

Reactions: Seraph089

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
the hammer is there as an early access to machines tool, as soon as you have your basic set going you have a machine for making the plates. yeah that part is a bit greggy, but it's not full on bad.
how come that mechanic that is pretty much copied from GT, can only be a bit greggy?

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
how come that mechanic that is pretty much copied from GT, can only be a bit greggy?
I think what people tend to think of 'gregifying' and 'greggy' as is more "TURTLES IS OP NO CC IN MY PACK RAAAAAWR" thing that he pulled. Personally I'm fine with plates and hammers, as long as they don't touch my vanilla tools, which is what config files are for. :D

Sent from a rich kids phone that I stole. (I'll regift it soon)

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019

But people don't want it when mod makers bring realism in the game !! (and some more extra !!)