The rebirth of IC2 ?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I have done some testing on the experimental IC2 version, and some of the changes are good, some are neutral, and others are a bit Greggy, but they aren't too bad resource wise tbh. they just add steps when not using automation. the hammer is there as an early access to machines tool, as soon as you have your basic set going you have a machine for making the plates. yeah that part is a bit greggy, but it's not full on bad.

It is. It make stuff tedious. They're stretching the crafting part "just because". They ran out of good ideas ages ago and are now adding stuff just to add stuff. That's bad gamedesign. Heck, I think you can say there's no gamedesign involved at all, just random "lets do this because we can" stuff. Just this little change in itself isn't 'terribad' perse but it does clearly show they have no plan or direction to take IC2.

Seriously, there's still loads and loads of potential in IC2, especially when it comes to options and balance regarding power generation. Instead they're just making the wiring part suck even more.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
It is. It make stuff tedious. They're stretching the crafting part "just because". They ran out of good ideas ages ago and are now adding stuff just to add stuff. That's bad gamedesign. Heck, I think you can say there's no gamedesign involved at all, just random "lets do this because we can" stuff. Just this little change in itself isn't 'terribad' perse but it does clearly show they have no plan or direction to take IC2.

Seriously, there's still loads and loads of potential in IC2, especially when it comes to options and balance regarding power generation. Instead they're just making the wiring part suck even more.
that could also show that they plan to expand on it. Remember, this version is just recently built, and buggy/has features to come.

Sent from a rich kids phone that I stole. (I'll regift it soon)

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

Ah, so kinda like how one has to make casting molds and melt down their metal in the smeltery before making metal tools with Tinker's Construct? It was quite a bit easier before that change, but I do like the new tools that came with it.

Reactions: ff255away

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, so kinda like how one has to make casting molds and melt down their metal in the smeltery before making metal tools with Tinker's Construct? It was quite a bit easier before that change, but I do like the new tools that came with it.
the difference is that there is logical background behind such tool creation, while there isn`t much behind addition of plates to IC2.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
To me the hammer makes sense as it adds a way to make plates with out a machine and the plates serve a important propose. As they allow the devs to implement new recipes with out worrying about recipe conflicts. In other words it makes it easier for them to add new and interesting things to the mod along with opening the door to making other recipes a bit easier by adding a machine-less method of making them.

Reactions: xbony2

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
To me the hammer makes sense as it adds a way to make plates with out a machine and the plates serve a important propose. As they allow the devs to implement new recipes with out worrying about recipe conflicts. In other words it makes it easier for them to add new and interesting things to the mod along with opening the door to making other recipes a bit easier by adding a machine-less method of making them.
hammer doesnt make much sense to me, because Steve has perfectly cubic hands and is VERY strong, so hammering ingot into a plate shouldn`t be a problem for him.

Reactions: glepet1962

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
the difference is that there is logical background behind such tool creation, while there isn`t much behind addition of plates to IC2.
Both are more tedious than their previous methods. Whether or not one thinks it makes any sense makes no difference. The real question is do we get additional stuff too that'd justify using the updated version. The new energy net and ore processing sound worth making machines out of plates.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
hammer doesnt make much sense to me, because Steve has perfectly cubic hands and is VERY strong, so hammering ingot into a plate shouldn`t be a problem for him.

What if someone else added a recipe of sticking a single ingot (copper, reined iron, etc.) in a crafting grid to get something?

With out the hammer their would be a conflict between the two mods.

As for the durability, it makes sense that it would break after so many uses as that is how every tool works in default minecraft and even with in IC2. Now the number of uses that could be debatable as it is a bit low currently.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Both are more tedious than their previous methods. Whether or not one thinks it makes any sense makes no difference. The real question is do we get additional stuff too that'd justify using the updated version. The new energy net and ore processing sound worth making machines out of plates.
nope. If the individual change makes any additional USEFUL things then it makes sense to update/enable it. Not if the update has other cool stuff.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What if someone else added a recipe of sticking a single ingot (copper, reined iron, etc.) in a crafting grid to get something?

As for the durability, it makes sense that it would break after so many uses as that is how every tool works in default minecraft and even with in IC2. Now the number of uses that could be debatable as it is a bit low currently.
first of all, that is a crafting recipe. It's called nuggets. Secondly, hammers don't usually ever break. Thirdly, a hammer is a lazy way to solve a conflict, they can just alter the recipe slightly or not do anything for the matter.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

if recipe is shaped, it would require 9 mods, to create an issue, which i find very unlikely, however, it`s possible to make 2:2 or 4:4 (hello RC) exchange, which makes it even less likely to occur.

Reactions: TheLoneWolfling

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Well at least UE is making valuable additions to its mod suite. I seriously recommend checking it and it's family of mods out. It has complexity without tedium and the ability to generate absurd power in a lot of ways. Plus the design is awesome from an aesthetic perspective.

Just like other mods that go a weird way or don't update at all, there's usually an alternative.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
the plates were probably added to allow for more types of machines.
Take railcraft for instance. many of railcrafts machines use plates, and in order to get plates you need a rolling machine and an engine. you are thus forced to make the least efficient engine to power this one machine in order to get access to the better engines.
The hammer replaces the rolling machine/hobbyist steam engine combo in this case, and we already know that since railcraft already have plates, these are going to be dictionary compatible with the RC ones. The hammer is only an entry level item, to be discarded as soon as you get the first machines up and running. you may never need more than one, despite it only having 80 uses before it breaks. the same is probably going to become true of the wirecutter. it won't be useful beyond making the first set of machines. they are basically bootstrap devices, items you have to make in order to break into the mod. Once you have your lab set up you are liable to end up putting them in a chest and never touch them again.

Morrigi

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be appropriate if I posted stuff I've learned about this new version thru decompiling the public, deobfuscated JAR that they've got at the link that was posted in the OP? Some of it seems...pretty interesting.

(For those wondering, I'm merely decompiling it for learning purposes, I'm not stealing anything!)

Sounds like a good idea. You aren't posting any code, so I can't see any problem with it.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a good idea. You aren't posting any code, so I can't see any problem with it.
Well, I found something that leads me to believe that IC2 will be adding 3 new boats to Minecraft, something that's sorely overdue, if ya ask me. Also seeing something called an "obscurator," as well as a "toolbox," whatever that might entail. Maybe IC2 will have its own packs, like Forestry, except they'll carry all your tools...

[ETA]
Also, the only code I'd ever post without first asking for permission is my own. I might have some dumb moments, but I'm not that dumb.

I just hope they make nuclear reactors more worth it when compared to a simple bank of geothermal generators running off hell lava or, if you really wanna be a dick about it, some MFR lava fabricators. I like the idea of nuclear power and the flexibility it offers, but its still a bit...inefficient power-wise, if ya ask me.