The most underused starting strategies?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I just noticed you asked about the first 2 hours of my game. I usually get a full set of iron and make a quartz grind stone. Then I go mining. I don't ever use Slag Furnaces, they seem like a waste of time since the grindstone requires 0 energy/fuel to duplicate ores.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
Only 1 person has said this: TConstruct Smeltery. I used this in my last start, and it's surprisingly easy to get. All you need is a couple of shovels, some furnaces and coa- EXCUSE ME - CHARcoal. The only downside is that you can't smelt silver. >.>'

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started a Resonant Rise game. I'm trying to get the TC Smeltery up and running at the moment, to find out how it works. I think the first actual tech tree I'll go down is probably UE, as I've never used it before.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
I've just started a Resonant Rise game. I'm trying to get the TC Smeltery up and running at the moment, to find out how it works. I think the first actual tech tree I'll go down is probably UE, as I've never used it before.

If it's just smelting something like iron, it doubles, if it's smelting alloys such as bronze or manyullyn then it's not as simple. For example, 4 iron ores will get you 8 iron ingots, while 3 copper ores and 1 tin ore gets you 4 bronze ingots. It's something I'd use to get other ore doublers such as the pulverizer. That said, for the latest version of TC you have to smelt metals in the smeltery and cast them into the tool pieces, rather than cast them into bars and then use wooden stencils. However, you can smelt ingots as well as ores, so it's not much of an issue to use the smeltery alongside something such as the pulverizer.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019

Speaking of RR, is IC2 in it? I'm seeing addons like GregTech, and nuclear control, but can't seem to find IC2.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a post somewhere recently that mentioned using the factorization solar boiler attached to a hobbyist engine. It works pretty good. I found a vein of silver, and was able to make 7 mirrors initially. You get .2MJ for every mirror. I have 8 at the moment and 1.6MJ continually during the day. "Free" MJ for the win. Of course it only works during the daytime, but attach a couple chutes to the top of the pulverizer and you are good to go. Put this in with the new conductive pipes in buildcraft, and you have a nice easy no maintenance energy network. Great for slowly processing your ores.

At .2MJ for each mirror, it takes a lot of silver to scale, and there are other better power systems later on, but it's a good start.

Here's a link to the updates on the BC power system. Highlights - No loss of power, no more exploding pipes, the materials used limit the total MJ that can traverse them.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I always seem to setup a peat farm, using RedPower to deploy and break, with pistons and timer (more interesting then a forestry farm). That peat always seems to last me a long time in my base. In my current setup, I have 4 peat fired engines and that runs my entire base.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I always seem to setup a peat farm, using RedPower to deploy and break, with pistons and timer (more interesting then a forestry farm).
What do you do, wait for all the Bog Earth to mature and then hit a button that triggers the block breakers and deploys fresh BE? Or is it more automated than that? I'd be interested to find out, if you move a BE with a piston, does it reset the maturing process? I'm imagining a 3x3 tower of Bog Earth with a column of water down the middle, being pushed down by pistons and harvested at the bottom like a "falling sand" tree farm.