The most underused starting strategies?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Something not as "efficient" :D

Horizontal, Bog Earth, Water, Bog Earth repeated along. Deployer, piston and block breaker for each row for bog earth. Each row get's it's end broken, pushed forward and fresh bog earth deployed every 3 minutes. Peat to engines, dirt back to bog earth creation system, bog earth back to storage. Use a CC computer to act as a timer, allows easier fine tuning of each element of the contraption.

Got it all setup within a 11x11 "farm" which matches all the other farms in my base, which are all 11x11 with their own little dedicated golems running the show.

On average, this gives me a constant trickle of peat for my engines. Since most of my machines are idle 95% of the time, a REC slowly fills up- even at times I have to turn off the peat engines to save peat.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
quartz grindstone+crescent hammer turtle=exploit, well in my opinion only, it's a vanilla item so I don't expect the developer has much opinion about mod behaviours (unlike, for example, the Clockwork Engine).

What? No vanilla items there. The turtle is ComputerCraft, and the quartz grindstone is Applied Energistics.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I wasn't really awake this morning when I posted that. I was thinking it was something to do with Nether Quartz.

You can make the grindstone with nether quartz. I wonder if algorithmx2 was laughing to himself as he coded that, the most primitive ore doubling machine being made of materials you need to go to the nether for. Well, at least you can still use the certus quartz dust.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
You can make the grindstone with nether quartz. I wonder if algorithmx2 was laughing to himself as he coded that, the most primitive ore doubling machine being made of materials you need to go to the nether for. Well, at least you can still use the certus quartz dust.

When he made that it wasn't something you needed to go to the nether for ;)

But I made one and DAMN it's slow. It's a really cruel joke :D

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
i start the first night by making a gregtech fusion reactor i don't use it i just have it so mobs can't spawn

Hehe, complete with tree farm and ore processing facility:

greghome.jpg

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Something not as "efficient" :D

Horizontal, Bog Earth, Water, Bog Earth repeated along. Deployer, piston and block breaker for each row for bog earth. Each row get's it's end broken, pushed forward and fresh bog earth deployed every 3 minutes. Peat to engines, dirt back to bog earth creation system, bog earth back to storage. Use a CC computer to act as a timer, allows easier fine tuning of each element of the contraption.

Got it all setup within a 11x11 "farm" which matches all the other farms in my base, which are all 11x11 with their own little dedicated golems running the show.

On average, this gives me a constant trickle of peat for my engines. Since most of my machines are idle 95% of the time, a REC slowly fills up- even at times I have to turn off the peat engines to save peat.
Screen shots?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Screen shots?

Ok. Not really that impressive, due to a small setup, and mostly all hidden underground. (Also, using a texture pack, which might confuse what you are looking at)

Above ground view, no sign of any automation:
Peat 1.jpg

View one underground. Dirt and Sand supplied manually, fabricator on a XYtank valve to create the Bog Earth. Filter pulls out 6 Bog Earth when pulsed.
Peat 2.jpg

View two underground. Computer controls everything. Pluses the Right side first to activate the block breakers, peat filtered to the chest, bog earth should end up in the fabricator. This pulse is done 2 times, to ensure that the blocks are broken (bit of server lag resulted in some blocks not being broken, pushing the peat blocks into my house...). Then it pulses the left side, which activates the pistons, then it pulses the top, which activates the deployers and the filter attached to the fabricator.
Peat 3.jpg

Gives me enough power to get started, have just now built my 3rd redstone energy cell and 3 bio-gas engines to up my power generation, as my next project is a BC assembly table and lasers, for gates. So I've gone now from max 4mj/t to 19mj/t.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
I always start with turtles. Got a few diamonds, redstone, and iron? You have an instant quarry. All you need to worry about is fuel (Lava is great) and chunk loading (Immibis' is p. cheap, Additonal Pipes' is cheaper, AFKing is free).

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
I like using traincraft steel to quickly launch myself into mid game. Most people ignore it because it isn't supported by NEI but you can get 8 steel from 3 iron and you can completely skip the blast furnace.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I like using traincraft steel to quickly launch myself into mid game. Most people ignore it because it isn't supported by NEI but you can get 8 steel from 3 iron and you can completely skip the blast furnace.

To me that seems kind of cheety. I try to avoid such things.[DOUBLEPOST=1372387526][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ok. Not really that impressive, due to a small setup, and mostly all hidden underground. (Also, using a texture pack, which might confuse what you are looking at)

Above ground view, no sign of any automation:
View attachment 5620

View one underground. Dirt and Sand supplied manually, fabricator on a XYtank valve to create the Bog Earth. Filter pulls out 6 Bog Earth when pulsed.
View attachment 5621

View two underground. Computer controls everything. Pluses the Right side first to activate the block breakers, peat filtered to the chest, bog earth should end up in the fabricator. This pulse is done 2 times, to ensure that the blocks are broken (bit of server lag resulted in some blocks not being broken, pushing the peat blocks into my house...). Then it pulses the left side, which activates the pistons, then it pulses the top, which activates the deployers and the filter attached to the fabricator.
View attachment 5619

Gives me enough power to get started, have just now built my 3rd redstone energy cell and 3 bio-gas engines to up my power generation, as my next project is a BC assembly table and lasers, for gates. So I've gone now from max 4mj/t to 19mj/t.

Looks nice, what is that texture pack by the way?

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Not to you, but rather to the guy that necro'ed some time ago.
He revived the thread that had been dead for 3 months and it got back, nonstop.
That's kind of cool, really.

Meh, it's a nice thread. People care about starting strategies. If people care about the thread, it's good to necro.