The moment of truth has arrived...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What are your initial responses to "Microsoft Minecraft"?

• I'll take a look at it

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • It'll never work

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • meh

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I'll throw my hand into the " wait and see " pile. Given Microsofts transessions into other markets (surface pro failing miserable compared to ipads and such comes to mind), and the recent innovation of the holo-lense that they have been showcasing Minecraft on, I will, be for one, waiting to see whether it will be another XP/Se7en or will it be a Vista. Only time will tell and until then I'll just sit and wait.

I think MS failure there is due to the fact their apps are sooooooooo bare and featureless. I have been very drawn to a pad using Win 8, but after my experiences with their apps on my win8 comp I steered shy. However, in the context of your comment, if they follow the same philosophy with MC, bare and featureless, as I voted, meh.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I'll throw my hand into the " wait and see " pile. Given Microsofts transessions into other markets (surface pro failing miserable compared to ipads and such comes to mind), and the recent innovation of the holo-lense that they have been showcasing Minecraft on, I will, be for one, waiting to see whether it will be another XP/Se7en or will it be a Vista. Only time will tell and until then I'll just sit and wait.

I think the new CEO has significantly changed the company direction. They are focusing on what they are strong in and gaining community support. With a bit of luck the traditional "our software is perfect every 2 versions" will stop.

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
The only real hope I have for this is that it will run better, and not be the terrible thing it is right now. If they actually optimize the game so it runs better then hey, I could see it have potential. The 7 people thing confuses me, because I don't understand if it means a server is limited to that many players, or if you can invite up to 7 to a single player world for free without hosting a server? I doubt they will give us free servers, but you never know, maybe they will incorporate the server file into a single player world. Or maybe they will let us run servers through online proxies, which would just induce lag.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I think the new CEO has significantly changed the company direction. They are focusing on what they are strong in and gaining community support. With a bit of luck the traditional "our software is perfect every 2 versions" will stop.
Well, Windows 7 is nowhere near perfect, then again I don't think any software is :p

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I want to play with it, if and only if they add in keyboard and mouse support. From what I've been told, it's currently for controllers (I saw something that contradicts this). I've always thought it would be fun to explore MCPE more thoroughly if I had decent controls to do it with, because playing on a phone is just painful. I tried to run it on PC before through Android emulation but the graphics emulation was the hitch.

MCPE is pretty nice, and has a lot of features that the PC version simply doesn't. To be honest it comes across as being much more professional compared to MCPC. It's not because of a lack of developers on the PC version, because they keep overhauling that one significantly, just never really in the areas that matter most to players. I mean there's still no crafting reference, for crying out loud. We're beyond the point where you can guess how to craft things. The wiki is a requirement to play this game, which is a bit ridiculous. It wouldn't even be hard to add a basic in-game crafting guide, they just don't.

As for whether this will replace desktop Minecraft, I personally think the answer is clearly "yes". Not for a while, but definitely yes. They even said that MCPE is about to get a lot of new features as a result of this. They just have way too many versions of this game, and all of the others are written in C++. Maintaining one in an entirely different language means zero code is shared. Eventually I think they're only going to hang onto it for legacy reasons, and to ensure that people on other platforms will be able to continue playing it. It might still get bug fixes by whatever residual Java dev team members they keep on, but that's probably it.

Keep in mind that Java is a direct competitor to .NET. You might remember that one of the first things that happened after Microsoft's buyout was that Java was embedded into the launcher and completely hidden from the eyes and minds of players. It's still good for users too, but obviously wasn't a priority until then. They bought this game purely for promotional reasons, it's the only way to justify the price tag, and that's exactly where they've been directing their efforts. Windows Phone, tablets, Surface, Hololens, and now Windows 10. A while back I honestly thought that they might give it away with Windows 10 to encourage adoption, but that's obviously not going to be the case now. Hell, they're giving the entire OS away now, so that's incentive enough I guess.

I still want to try it, and I want to try modding it to run on older versions of Windows first and foremost (I'm not jumping to Win10 just for Minecraft), but we're going to have the Windows app store DRM to deal with on top of it, most likely. And we can only hope that they leave some debug symbols in the exe, or modding it will be incredibly hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss and Hambeau

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that the way Minecraft modding works, by decompiling, making changes, and recompiling (although most mods don't do this, only Forge) allows anything to be changed.

But any API only allows you to change things that the API creators thought to allow you to change.

Edit: That said, I think this is a good thing if it forces the modded community to stay on the last Java version.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind that the way Minecraft modding works, by decompiling, making changes, and recompiling (although most mods don't do this, only Forge) allows anything to be changed.

But any API only allows you to change things that the API creators thought to allow you to change.
True...
Edit: That said, I think this is a good thing if it forces the modded community to stay on the last Java version.
Hey, Java 8 adds some awesome stuff ;)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The only real hope I have for this is that it will run better, and not be the terrible thing it is right now. If they actually optimize the game so it runs better then hey, I could see it have potential. The 7 people thing confuses me, because I don't understand if it means a server is limited to that many players, or if you can invite up to 7 to a single player world for free without hosting a server? I doubt they will give us free servers, but you never know, maybe they will incorporate the server file into a single player world. Or maybe they will let us run servers through online proxies, which would just induce lag.

At a guess, since they said the 7 player thing will be added soon, and they already have Realms (if this is a full port) I'd say we may be looking at a peer-to-peer implementation... That's the only thing I can think of that many other tablet/phone apps have although they will also be adding XBox Live access.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
True...

I think he means the last version of MC to be based on Java, not the last version of Java itself. However, keep in mind that Google just lost a Supreme Court decision claiming that Oracle's Java APIs were public domain property and they were free to use them despite implementing a commercial product (Android) with them. I know Android isn't directly a commercial product, except that their search engine and other services that Google requires to be included have to be paid for by device manufacturers.

Reactions: RedBoss

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I think he means the last version of MC to be based on Java, not the last version of Java itself.
Ahhh, that makes more sense
However, keep in mind that Google just lost a Supreme Court decision claiming that Oracle's Java APIs were public domain property and they were free to use them despite implementing a commercial product (Android) with them. I know Android isn't directly a commercial product, except that their search engine and other services that Google requires to be included have to be paid for by device manufacturers.
ouch, that could hurt a lot of MC-related things

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
True...

Not that kind of Java version, silly. The last Java {version of Minecraft}.

However, keep in mind that Google just lost a Supreme Court decision claiming that Oracle's Java APIs were public domain property and they were free to use them despite implementing a commercial product (Android) with them. I know Android isn't directly a commercial product, except that their search engine and other services that Google requires to be included have to be paid for by device manufacturers.

I can't see how that has anything to do with Minecraft.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Not that kind of Java version, silly. The last Java {version of Minecraft}.

I can't see how that has anything to do with Minecraft.

It all depends on how Oracle chooses to proceed if the challenge to this decision fails. It's quite possible (but unlikely) that Java might become an uneconomical tool to develop free mods with. In that situation, does Mojang change their license to allow devs to charge for their mods or do people stop developing in Java?

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
Just a hypotheses.. Minecraft moving from Java to C++? Could this mean.
Does that mean Minecraft 2 is confirmed?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

The power that the decompiled/deobfuscated code provided over the game, combined with the flexibility that Java provides for runtime modification, is unlike anything that most of us have probably ever encountered prior, even those who've poked at game guts for a while. I'd say we're pretty spoiled by it.

Reactions: ljfa

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to quote Michael Stipe when I say "Light a candle, light a votive, Step down, step down, Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, This means no fear cavalier, Renegade steer clear! A tournament, tournament, a tournament of lies, Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline!"

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just a hypotheses.. Minecraft moving from Java to C++? Could this mean.
Does that mean Minecraft 2 is confirmed?

No, but Half-life 3 on the other hand... :D

Potentially yes. If that's the case, then Minecraft 2 is based on Pocket Edition.

I think they're using MCPE as a convenience, since it was already written in C++. Also, MSoft already had it in-house for Xbox and Windows Phone so the PC version should already be compatible with those versions if not other console versions. Writing Minecraft from the ground up in C++ would probably still be a project mostly in the planning stages.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
News from Minecon, acquired via MCF, states that there are no mods yet on MC: Win10 Edition. :(
Ah, well. At least they don't appear to be opposed to mods. They're not screwing themselves over, but they also aren't very impressive on that front. :p

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
News from Minecon, acquired via MCF, states that there are no mods yet on MC: Win10 Edition. :(
Ah, well. At least they don't appear to be opposed to mods. They're not screwing themselves over, but they also aren't very impressive on that front. :p

Who would be writing these mods you expect for a platform that has yet to release?

Reactions: RedBoss

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Who would be writing these mods you expect for a platform that has yet to release?

If you missed the Modder's panel at MineCon livetweet this morning, a youngster asked the panel about the new version's effect on modding. Lexmanos answered that there is no shim like Forge available yet, but that MSoft engineers were "following him around" asking him questions about Forge :D