The Final Word on Steam Boiler Efficiency

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
It looks a LOT better now, much easier to read and understand. Moving the clear button was a good decision too. You might want to consider if the "jump to bottom" button is necessary any more.
I have 1920*1080 resolution btw, so I don't really know how it would look on smaller screens/lower res though.

Forecaster

Jul 29, 2019
It looks a LOT better now, much easier to read and understand. Moving the clear button was a good decision too. You might want to consider if the "jump to bottom" button is necessary any more.
I have 1920*1080 resolution btw, so I don't really know how it would look on smaller screens/lower res though.

The jump button is was a legacy from when the tick-by-tick process wasn't inside a fixed size scrollable box and made the page ridiculously long.

Even on small screens scrolling down to the result is a breeze. So you are right, it's not needed anymore.

The Simulate button has all the space to itself now : P

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
So I would put 4 next to the x 64, and 44 in the second box to match up 300,000 ethanol the tank shows?

Forecaster

Jul 29, 2019
So I would put 4 next to the x 64, and 44 in the second box to match up 300,000 ethanol the tank shows?

Yes, or just put 300 in the second box. It will have the same effect.

Neither of them are mandatory. The first one is mainly to simplify when you know you have a certain amount of stacks of something.

leminlyme

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to pipe in that someone amounted boring and quarrying of a solid nonrenewable, being an infinite resource; That is false :c Renewable = Infinite, something that creates more than cost, or creates from nothing. Minecraft generation itself is neither infinite, nor is the resources available in it without intervention. The sum may surmount to a number large enough to fill any (Or many of any) hard-drive on earth with data, but it's still not infinite! :D

Generalizing is indeed a sin, it leads to misinformation and deters great curiosity!

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I just wanted to pipe in that someone amounted boring and quarrying of a solid nonrenewable, being an infinite resource; That is false :c Renewable = Infinite, something that creates more than cost, or creates from nothing. Minecraft generation itself is neither infinite, nor is the resources available in it without intervention. The sum may surmount to a number large enough to fill any (Or many of any) hard-drive on earth with data, but it's still not infinite! :D

Generalizing is indeed a sin, it leads to misinformation and deters great curiosity!

And for that you needed to bump an old thread? Welcome to the forums captain obvious.

leminlyme

Jul 29, 2019
I merely posed a correction that had gone uncorrected because some people don't have what you would call "obvious" information. The fact I stumbled on the topic despite it having been buried for a month and read through it means that it's somewhat available for those looking for information, and so why allow misinformation to go uncorrected... Yes if you know almost anything about programming, integers or the like, or really much about Minecraft just generally, you'll eventually stumble upon that obvious information, but it took me a few seconds to post that and I didn't mind to; It did you no harm, did no one else any harm, and stood to benefit someone else possibly.

Not trying to shove it in your face or anything, I just wish you would consider the people who don't already know the majority of information about all the subjects in question and mention... I do like the ideology of RTFM myself as well, but there aren't a plethora of manuals for such niche subjects, so just let information be reprinted over and over again in abundance, the adverse effects are non-existent, and sharing information is always good!

On the main topic; I've never built a boiler for lack of interest or necessity in such verbose power as I usually operate alone and pretty condensed for automation, but looking at all these and assuming I would make an infinite fuel source loop, I think I may start building 36LP's for all that quick efficiency. 5-6hours isn't that painful of a warm up, give it a gargantuan pile to run from and then run it indefinitely, it just seems like the quickest gratification and necessary size for a massive energy system, and as much as I thought I knew FTB, in having avoided a few branches of technology, I never knew there was such a convenient dual-energy system. My friends are jerks, I've talked to them a tonne about it but they always suggest lava generation or pumping to run my EU systems off of my MJ systems. ~_~ And they all have boilers at home. Harhar. Another thanks to the list of thanks, Omni, great topic.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with guide idea is: the time when I decide to build boiler I usually do it for powerhouse, because I have significant amount of resources and efficiency play lesser role. Of course LP boiler is far more efficient in regards of consumption and when dealing with severely limited resources it is likely a good choice, but and this is a big but, HP boiler while costing you more both to build and to run has 1 significant advantage requiring twice less space with same output which means twice less piping and automating and more space for another boiler or else. If you just starting/low on resources/only need temporal energy source, then yeah LP would be a better choice but even then theres easier and probably even more efficient ways to get your starting power (lava, biomass), but otherwise its HP boiler for me.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So long as you're aware of what you're doing and why it suits your use case, namae, the guide has already served its purpose ;)

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be interested to see how the new DartCraft Force Engines compare to boilers. I know they produce more MJ/t than Combustion Engines once fed with milk or crushed ice, so I'm interested in seeing how they fare against boilers in terms of both efficiency and raw output.

I'd do the work myself, but GTA V just came out and I'm lazy. :)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used Dartcraft myself... only from what I've seen described in the mod spotlight, it's broken as all heck. But then I read somewhere else that it got massively rebalanced for 1.6. Frankly, I have no clue.

It all depends on how well force engines do with Railcraft compatible fuels, and which ones. I calculated the efficiency of combustion engines by taking the amount of MJ they produce with 1 bucket (600,000) and divided that by the Railcraft heat unit value of one bucket of fuel (96,000). Similar math can easily be applied to the force engine.

Reactions: MigukNamja

namae

Jul 29, 2019
I'd be interested to see how the new DartCraft Force Engines compare to boilers. I know they produce more MJ/t than Combustion Engines once fed with milk or crushed ice, so I'm interested in seeing how they fare against boilers in terms of both efficiency and raw output.

They are same (afaik) when fed with fuel as combustion engines, otherwise they give 8 mj/t with l.force+water with 80k mj in total, which is pretty awesome but good luck getting stable income of force for them.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
They are same (afaik) when fed with fuel as combustion engines, otherwise they give 8 mj/t with l.force+water with 80k mj in total, which is pretty awesome but good luck getting stable income of force for them.

The Dartcraft force engines allow you to apply the throttle fluid to ANY fuel. So using milk actually makes them produce 7.5MJ/t (750,000 total MJ) and using crushed ice would be 12MJ/t (1,200,000 total MJ).

Also, getting force income isn't too difficult. Force tree logs can be squeezed for liquid force. I was planning a turtle based force tree farm, but I realized that I'd be getting only 16MJ/t rather than 12MJ/t from fuel, with a TON of extra infrastructure needed while I just need one or two alvearies for my refined bees.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

MFR Rancher for milk into Force Engine is 12 MJ/t. MultiFarms recognize Force Tree. OP and broken setup for the Lolz. No boiler necessary and you're getting way, way more MJ/t than any other *intentionally designed* setup.

While not as bad as the MFR Squid Rancher, it's completely unbalanced in terms of the other MJ producers. The MFR Squid Rancher is likely a bug, but 12 MJ/t from 1 engine that scales to 100's of MJ/t per tree farm and a few cows is broken...and that's working as intended.

DartCraft is for lolz.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Have you considered calculus? If you are playing on a server and doing something like feeding a boiler into a mining drill or mass fab then surely on a timescale of, say a year (if the server has been up for that long) the boilers will get so close together that we can say they get to 100% efficiency because otherwise you are left with a tortoise and runner style paradox.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. That's in fact mentioned multiple times in my analysis, and you can see it very nicely in the graphs when looking at the 1LP and 1HP ones, for which this happens early on.

I was just aiming to promote choosing the right boiler for the right situation. If you are playing for so long at that for example the fixed 75 million MJ in difference between 36LP and 36HP becomes insignificant to you, then that's a perfectly good situation to use a 36HP.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
In my playthroughs, I usually use 1 or even 2 different-sized small or mid-sized LP boilers on my power progression climb up to 36HPs. Processing ores, making charcoal, and especially making a starter batch of ethanol requires small engine spam or a modest-sized LP boiler. Trying to build a large HP boiler straight from 1 and 2 MJ/t small engines is probably not the most time-efficient way to go.

Omicron's information was and is indeed very useful for selecting the right boiler for the application.