The Final Word on Steam Boiler Efficiency

Prodigy39

Jul 29, 2019
This is my current setup:
DlqgFl4.png

6 36HP Boilers (Chunkloaded on a server for at least 4 days now)
6 Steam Turbines
Powered by Fuel (8 refineries)

Currently I'm getting 51 UUM/day (GregTech is installed), is there any way to improve the efficiency of my boilers? Or maybe a way to add 6 more turbines? I'd be thankful for any advice on the design.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
If things haven't changed much in the latest versions, you should without any issues be able to connect 6 more turbines to your setup. Each boiler outputs a total of 40*36=720 steam per tick, each turbine only need 320 steam per tick, so with two turbines connected to each boiler you actually still have a slight surplus, enough to fuel 6 industrial steam engines you can use for MJ needs.

That's a lot of steel though... Are you automating steel production in any way?

Prodigy39

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, with an industrial blast furnace and thank you. Now my problem is making it look pretty, it only lets you craft 1 turbine up against a boiler

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
This got me thinking, what other ways of converting the steam you get from boilers to EU? After all, it's not a completely autonomous setup that can run indefinitely if you still have to mine the iron for the steel...

I did some testing(Probably a well known way, but still), and one way is to connect your steam to industrial steam engines producing 144MJ/t, then use this to power 4 thermal generators fed by cobblestone igneous extruders. The lava produced is just barely enough to power 6 Thermal generators, which generates an ironic 144EU/t.

This way of doing things is obviously much less efficient than using the steel turbines. Even in Ultimate 1.4.7, two turbines is 200EU/t, and in 1.5.2 the same setup is 400EU/t, but at least it's a completely closed system which doesn't require any external resources. Are there other ways? I guess it's quite possible to automate steel production instead, maybe by using bees.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, with an industrial blast furnace and thank you. Now my problem is making it look pretty, it only lets you craft 1 turbine up against a boiler

-Redacted- Look below for an excellent explanation for how Liquiducts work :3

Actually, you can just do this, Linky, which is probably the best way for your setup, you don't even need to change anything, just throw in the new turbines at the bottom.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't quite know how liqiducts work, basically, each connection is capable of taking on 80 steam/t, but a single line of liqiduct can throughput an infinite amount of steam. So to be able to power both your turbines at 100%, you need to connect to the boiler at 8 spots, then offload at 4 spots on each of the turbines. As you can see on the image, however, you do not need to stretch 8 individual liquiducts from the boiler to the turbines at all.

EDIT: With some practical testing, apparently it's enough to connect only two liquiducts to each turbine. However, you still need to connect at 8 points on the boiler itself... Don't ask me how that works :x

That's not quite how liquiducts work. There is no limit on how much an unpowered liquiduct connection can input into the system. The 80 mb/t bottleneck in that system comes from the steam boiler itself. Each block face of a boiler actually pumps out 80mb/t.

However, if you power the input connection, then it will suck liquid at a rate of 160mb/t. So if you want to save on connections, you can power the connection to the boiler and only need 4.5 connections instead of 9.

Correspondingly, the unpowered output connection also pumps out 160mb/t. This is why you only need 2 connections on a turbine to get the maximum 320mb/t input. There is no such thing as a powered output connection.

Granted, for the system you describe none of that actually matters, but I just thought it would be good to clarify things in case OP decides to alter the system or mess around with stuff where being more accurate would matter.

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Yes! After some more research yesterday I figured my info was way off, but I couldn't quite figure out the specifics, thanks! I did forget to edit my post though, which I will do now.

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
This is my current setup:
6 36HP Boilers (Chunkloaded on a server for at least 4 days now)
6 Steam Turbines