The Best Power Source

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Excess potentia is great for thaumostatic harness fuel.
I set up a harness refuelling station a couple of weeks ago. It now also hooks into my new alumentum supply for the furnace fuel. That potentia gets used the next time the alumentum supply goes below 999 anyway, and if I used it for anything else then I'd need to flush out the excess ignis.

Reactions: RedBoss

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a harness refuelling station a couple of weeks ago. It now also hooks into my new alumentum supply for the furnace fuel. That potentia gets used the next time the alumentum supply goes below 999 anyway, and if I used it for anything else then I'd need to flush out the excess ignis.
Maybe some RF using a Essentia Dynamo from Technomancy? Assuming @Democretes didn't nerf it too horribly when we broke the system.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not awful, but not good either. Again, better than voiding. I think the worst thing to void is saxum barely putting out 300 RF per essentia.
How much do primals output again? Is it all one number or is it different for things like ignis which are more fuel-ish?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Primals are equal except for ignis. Ignis/potentia are the highest.
I see. So I assume that Terra would output less then 300RF a essentia, yes? If not, the system is still broken, just requires a extra step to make decent amounts of RF from pretty much nothing.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I see. So I assume that Terra would output less then 300RF a essentia, yes? If not, the system is still broken, just requires a extra step to make decent amounts of RF from pretty much nothing.
I think it's barely more. Like, 100 RF more. Haven't looked at the values in a while.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So Saxum isn't worth 300RF, it's worth 400RF if you are willing to run it through an essentia centrifuge first.
Less then ideal IMO. I'd make Saxum either worth 400RF natively(since it's less silly then down-converting it and getting more power from it), or make Terra worth at most 300RF(ideally less then Saxum, but boosting Saxum a tiny bit wouldn't hurt in this case if Terra was downgraded as well).

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I vote for heated redstone generators, powered by destabilized redstone. They're both amazing and crazy efficient, especially if you can produce redstone on your own (or if you're a weird bee person who got that new liquid redstone bee).

Reactions: kaovalin

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Might as well toss it in since I haven't yet... Blood Magic's Lava Crystals.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Only if you run your essence collection off of witches. Anything else I'd say the setup costs and time costs make it fair.
...There are other ways to get my essence on?

EDIT: In all seriousness, though, it's 25 LP a smelt, and you get 4 smelt per heart you feed an orb, and countless ways exist to increase your LP output into the insane-o-zone. Personally I'd be using the Ritual of the Feathered Knife with a good altar covered in self-sacrifice runes with Geostratas' magenta crystal lamps nearby(and a brown one for good measure).

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
EDIT: In all seriousness, though, it's 25 LP a smelt, and you get 4 smelt per heart you feed an orb, and countless ways exist to increase your LP output into the insane-o-zone. Personally I'd be using the Ritual of the Feathered Knife with a good altar covered in self-sacrifice runes with Geostratas' magenta crystal lamps nearby(and a brown one for good measure).

You have a good point about how powerful they are, and it's one of the reasons I use the crystals just for things that aren't used for power, like TC4's alchemical furnace.

For minimal power, the crystals are pretty helpful. Past that though, it does (IMO) become rather impractical to use a large number of these. They can be far outclassed by other generation methods, such as Big Reactors and boilers.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You have a good point about how powerful they are, and it's one of the reasons I use the crystals just for things that aren't used for power, like TC4's alchemical furnace.

For minimal power, the crystals are pretty helpful. Past that though, it does (IMO) become rather impractical to use a large number of these. They can be far outclassed by other generation methods, such as Big Reactors and boilers.
Yet Trickle power is insanely easy to do, and with the Extra Utilities Heated Furnace Generator... minimal power does not cover this.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Yet Trickle power is insanely easy to do, and with the Extra Utilities Heated Furnace Generator... minimal power does not cover this.

I haven't used the XU generators so I can't comment on that, but it also comes down to how you use power. If it's a slow, constant draw, then the crystals will be quite strong. If you use a large amount of power in short bursts like I do (draining the second largest Mekanism energy cube in about 2 minutes), then it's almost useless for power needs. Sure it can help regenerate it, but I wouldn't want to run one of those as my only power method.