Thank you MeteorCraft for ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
That was more - as I believe it is called - the "weird part of the internet".
Very much so. But at least it wasn't troll physics...

trollcar.jpg

Reactions: Pokefenn

killrbladez

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, if the meteors are "weaker"* than the wither to your standard, I'd say to make Obsidian immune. I can't think of anything other than that which would make sense for blocking meteors with blocks.
*Weaker as in the damage is not as strong as a Wither destroying blocks.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika, if the meteors are "weaker"* than the wither to your standard, I'd say to make Obsidian immune. I can't think of anything other than that which would make sense for blocking meteors with blocks.
*Weaker as in the damage is not as strong as a Wither destroying blocks.
I rather doubt they are weaker. Does the wither destroy a 10x10x10 area and send the blocks flying across 6 chunks? Does it instant-kill every mob within 12 meters? Does it destroy all glassy materials in 20?

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
There's no troll physics, you can't fucking stop a bus-sized meteor moving several million mph, period. Action - Reaction. Please direct all further questions to Newton, Einstein, and the dinosaurs :p If anything their impact area should be 10x bigger.

Also DC electricity is not some ancient mystery..

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Can't resist :p Kilteroff has a good sense of humour so he'll appreciate it :) What about an asteroid that's not as big as a bus? Or one travelling much slower than "several million mph"?

You just provided the M (mass) and A (acceleration, more or less). F (force) is therefore correspondingly smaller. Eventually we can discuss whether a few meters of UberRepulsionSteel (designed by me circa 2085) can repel an object the size of a football coming at terminal velocity.

DC Electricity isn't weird at all. DC Electricity via perpetual motion (it never stops running under any circumstances so long as it has a "signal") is a bit odd. Naturally one can argue that the signal provides the fuel. So I would just argue in reverse that the signal is being powered via a similarly mysterious noodly appendage. That, of course, is not Reika's problem.

Reactions: kilteroff

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
heehee :D Well fair enough, this is assuming they're all of an appreciable size and speed. Reika did say their velocity is random so perhaps he put in a lower limit so we don't have silly slow meteors.

People don't realize how thoroughly we've mastered electricity; even in your daily life for example like your car. Your cars battery is DC, which cranks your motor to get your alternator firing and producing AC, which gets rectified back into DC to run many of your cars electrical systems like your lighter...where a lot of people install inverters to get back to AC to run their fax machines and coffee pots @_@

killrbladez

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika That is why I said yo your standard. It could be debatable that the wither is the strongest thing in the world of Minecraftia. Though other mods add bosses that can make a wither seem like a creeper. It was only a suggestion, and I don't blame you for how you choose your mod works.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Can't resist :p Kilteroff has a good sense of humour so he'll appreciate it :) What about an asteroid that's not as big as a bus? Or one travelling much slower than "several million mph"?

You just provided the M (mass) and A (acceleration, more or less). F (force) is therefore correspondingly smaller. Eventually we can discuss whether a few meters of UberRepulsionSteel (designed by me circa 2085) can repel an object the size of a football coming at terminal velocity.
This is actually a question of kinetic energy. As most people (hopefully) remember from elementary school,
11e6fc84bb2641d36b09c5a6359f7c08.png

That then means that for "a bus sized meteor" (about the size of the MeteorCraft ones), moving at realistic meteor speeds (40000 m/s or so, or about mach 120), the kinetic energy (16 terajoules) is equivalent to a nuclear weapon capable of levelling Manhattan.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is actually a question of kinetic energy. As most people (hopefully) remember from elementary school,
11e6fc84bb2641d36b09c5a6359f7c08.png

That then means that for "a bus sized meteor" (about the size of the MeteorCraft ones), moving at realistic meteor speeds (40000 m/s or so, or about mach 120), the kinetic energy (16 terajoules) is equivalent to a nuclear weapon capable of levelling Manhattan.
Thank you Meteorcraft for reminding me not to go to Manhattan.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't recall them teaching me that before high school, honestly. Rather, I think it was even not taught there, but from my independent research. Mind you, I was the smartest person in my Science Class, Teacher Included. I was learning about high energy particle physics while the rest of the class was struggling to understand the difference between acidic and alkaline substances, and the separation from these and corrosive substances.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I don't recall them teaching me that before high school, honestly. Rather, I think it was even not taught there, but from my independent research. Mind you, I was the smartest person in my Science Class, Teacher Included. I was learning about high energy particle physics while the rest of the class was struggling to understand the difference between acidic and alkaline substances, and the separation from these and corrosive substances.
This is a topic for another thread, but I never cease to be horrified by how bad many schools seem to be (some even have high-school curricula featuring multiplication, spelling, and grow-your-own-bean-plant projects).

Reactions: Padfoote

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
The science is pretty solid and has been for decades. It's just hard convincing investors to bother with something that might take their entire life to see a return on.

I just wanted to point out that there has to be a different reason here. Investors ROUTINELY invest in things that take a lifetime to see a return: they are called Governments. For example, South Korea (or... one of the small countries in that area I forget lol) had a company that wanted to produce steel. But that country had almost none of the resources for producing steel. Private investors thought it was a bad risk, etc. The government ignored 'free market' ideas/neoliberalism, etc. and instead invested in this company and propped it up for years.

That company is now the top, or one of the top companies in the world that produce steel. (edit: I think it is this company.) Toyota was the same way. The first toyota car was a huge flop. Quality was horrible, few people liked it. The goverment kept propping up toyota well after it would have gone bankrupt on its own, and eventually we have the toyota company that we all know today. This is one of the aruments against neoliberalism. If all investment is only done through private investors, you won't see companies invested in that might take a decade or three to mature and show a return. This is also why the biggest countries push free market/neoliberal ideas.

Unlimited power? Governments would invest in this. We are living in a Peak Oil world, fossil fuels are getting harder and hard to come by. Ever wonder why oil companies drill 5 miles under the ocean for oil? The amount of oil in that reservoir that caused the Gulf spill a few years ago was tiny compared to reservoirs that people found 50+ years ago. And back then people put a pipe in the ground in texas and the oil just shot out of the ground. Now we are fracking for natural gas. Why? Those old oil reservoirs are all long gone. We picked all the low hanging fruit. This is why Iraq gets attacked but not NOrth Korea, even though N Korea kills people in gulags and also has weapons of mass destruction. But no natural resources. :)

Anyway, just trying to point out, if govenments are not investing in fusion it is because there is no possibility of return at all or some risk is just too high. It has nothing to do with time.