Thank you MeteorCraft for ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NegaNote

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just turn on airbursts?
Maybe you could add the ability for the Railgun to force a meteor to airburst if it is hit with a massive enough projectile? Then you could still protect your base from one before you have the nether stars necessary to make a force field, and you would still be using both resources and power to protect your base before you get a force field, which only uses power, up and running.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Maybe you could add the ability for the Railgun to force a meteor to airburst if it is hit with a massive enough projectile? Then you could still protect your base from one before you have the nether stars necessary to make a force field, and you would still be using both resources and power to protect your base before you get a force field, which only uses power, up and running.
I can certainly make the railgun projectiles destroy meteors, but there is next to zero chance it will hit. Not only does the railgun take a few seconds to lock on, the meteor will be moving so fast that even the railgun projectile will miss the target.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
What about extending that suggestion into a small Meteorcraft-specific module that activates when installed with RotaryCraft, allowing you to construct one or more variations of space rock defense guns, designed for meteor targeting?

Projectile-based and a laser or other energy type cannon, plasma perhaps, for ideas. Maybe even borrow from the Phalanx defensive guns of the US Navy for something or a primed missile system. Could see far more use of Meteorcraft with sufficient counter-measures. :)

Also, Reika have you considered a specialized item or even robot that can clean the fallen space junk, whether egg of doom or popcorn bomb? Or can that robot thing I know nothing about do something about it? :p

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
What about extending that suggestion into a small Meteorcraft-specific module that activates when installed with RotaryCraft, allowing you to construct one or more variations of space rock defense guns, designed for meteor targeting?
Then people are going to start saying "I don't have that machine my RotaryCraft is bugged" and I get spammed with "bug reports".

Projectile-based and a laser or other energy type cannon, plasma perhaps, for ideas. Maybe even borrow from the Phalanx defensive guns of the US Navy for something or a primed missile system. Could see far more use of Meteorcraft with sufficient counter-measures. :)
Targeting of any type is going to be too slow - the meteor entity exists for less than 1.5 seconds, sometimes even less than 0.75 seconds.

Also, Reika have you considered a specialized item or even robot that can clean the fallen space junk, whether egg of doom or popcorn bomb? Or can that robot thing I know nothing about do something about it? :p
Robot thing...?

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
One thought from another Meteor mod is that it had a block you could craft that would stop meteors landing within a certain radius of said block. The twist was, you could only craft it from a special ore that drops from the meteors, so you had to let some hit first before being able to build a protected area.
That would be more performace friendly wouldn't it? You'd be picking a random spawn location, guess from that you know where it hits, compare to where is shielded, if shielded, don't spawn, wait for next chance of spawn.

Since we generally like things "Technical" around here, you could do the same but have it need a power source.

Do you mean this mod?

Edit: Fixed Link.

Warzer

Jul 29, 2019
Are there meteor resistant blocks? Like those from geostrata? How much blast resistance would you need?

Warzer

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the info, but I also like the idea of building surface hardened structures or even outer layers if it's possible.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Find me a material that can resist something weighing as much as a train impacting at Mach 40.

Resist? Not so much, unless you're talking about something like octuple compressed cobblestone or a new compressed heavy element block and lots of them. Get destroyed instead of what's underneath it? Sure. Unless you're specifically testing for material strength and diving through weaker stuff, a sufficiently thick layer of whatever would stop meteors.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Find me a material that can resist something weighing as much as a train impacting at Mach 40.
Find me a fusion reactor today that successfully creates a substantial overall net output of power.

Its not outrageous to allow for a possible technology Reika, you know that better than anyone.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Find me a fusion reactor today that successfully creates a substantial overall net output of power.

Its not outrageous to allow for a possible technology Reika, you know that better than anyone.
How about dozens?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak#Experimental_tokamaks

The thing that hasn't really happened is a country devoting enough resources toward building a unit intended to run continuously. The science is pretty solid and has been for decades. It's just hard convincing investors to bother with something that might take their entire life to see a return on.

Meteors are basically kinetic energy weapons on a much larger scale than a slug thrower or rain gun. Defending against them means doing something with all that potential kinetic energy. If one could design and build reactive armor on the size and scale of an orion pusher plate, one might be able to harden a fixed location. But one would still need to regularly replace damaged portions to prevent a meteor striking in the same place from getting through.

Deflecting a meteor is usually much easier (it doesn't require resolving all of the meteor's kinetic potential), but requires having a significantly advanced detection and interception system. It would be doable with today's tech, but would require an enormous swarm of satellites devoted to the purpose.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How about dozens?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak#Experimental_tokamaks

The thing that hasn't really happened is a country devoting enough resources toward building a unit intended to run continuously. The science is pretty solid and has been for decades. It's just hard convincing investors to bother with something that might take their entire life to see a return on.

etc
Heheh its funny you used wikipedia as your source; I actually go back to that page from month to month because I have a specific interest. Good stuff :)

In the spirit of that argument, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#Other_Issues

I chose my wording carefully. Net output includes everything, even energy to create parts that degrade quickly and need to be replaced on a continual basis. We're not there...yet. But I'm likely gonna see it before I die, and that's pretty darn cool.

Re. stopping a meteor: we'd want to define the size and speed of the object, what its made of, and whether we can argue that the protecting material is doing anything more than absorbing kinetic impact. Reika uses magic (sometimes called magnetics only these ones function via perpetual motion) to explain away a bunch of stuff (DC engines, etc) so we can incorporate a reasonable amount of that sort of sorcery if it makes me right and everyone else wrong.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Heheh its funny you used wikipedia as your source; I actually go back to that page from month to month because I have a specific interest. Good stuff :)

In the spirit of that argument, see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#Other_Issues

I chose my wording carefully. Net output includes everything, even energy to create parts that degrade quickly and need to be replaced on a continual basis. We're not there...yet. But I'm likely gonna see it before I die, and that's pretty darn cool.

Re. stopping a meteor: we'd want to define the size and speed of the object, what its made of, and whether we can argue that the protecting material is doing anything more than absorbing kinetic impact. Reika uses magic (sometimes called magnetics only these ones function via perpetual motion) to explain away a bunch of stuff (DC engines, etc) so we can incorporate a reasonable amount of that sort of sorcery if it makes me right and everyone else wrong.
??