Tesseracts, 36HP Boiler, the sawmill... and me. >.<

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, for now I got it working. I use 6 sawmills (this might be quite overkill in terms of wooden planks, but hey, I can always remove a few, once that boiler is cooking on highest temperature and I prefer to be rather safe than sorry^^), 4 tesseracts and my already in place SC tree farm. So far, I (obviously) produce far enough planks to keep the boiler running - I have not yet decided if it is doable to power a second 36HP from the farm, so building a second, or to reduce the sawmills.

Heres an image of the saw-room.
View attachment 2196

Just one last question - as I already have a 27LP boiler in place, can I just pipe the HP-steam into the same liquiducts in order to power my machines, or does this not work / cause any trouble?
And thanks for everyone helping me out. =)
Oh man, I so have to post screenies of my set-up :D.

Once I finish it I mean, I'm still running from what used to be 1k stacks of blazerods.

I've plotted out the SC area today though.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Roight, so this is my setup atm.

This is the plot. 4x E, this should in theory provide the perfect sapling coverage and harvesting speed.
2013-02-22_022200_zpsac8ae18a.png

This is the errrr.. machine setup up close(rer). As you can plainly see, there's no timers, no tubes, no bullshit. This is how I like to design my machines. In case of overflow, the system will simply stop chopping down trees. There's one router, tesseract and two relays for each item type. Routers pull one item type from the cargo managers and eject into relays, the relays buffer the whole system(that's 20 stacks buffered) and feed stuff into the tesseracts. Router upgrades are machine, item, ejector and bandwidth.
2013-02-22_022211_zps77a16023.png
In case you're wondering, the managers are connected to the routers via furnaces :D.

Oh and the lightblocks... I had too much glowstone, okay? You can place torches between the sapplings once a cart plants 'em.

There's no carts yet as I need to build the boilers now first and I kinda don't want the system chockfull before I'm even done with that.

EDIT> Added one cart for testing. Hooked it up to 6 powered furnaces pumping charcoal into 6 blast furnaces. Keeps up just fine.

While testing I found out - to my great surprise - that despite me remembering that the carts should burn the wood they collected - they don't. Added 4 more cargo managers for refueling. Added another tesseract(logs - receive) -> powered furnace -> 0th slot in cargo managers via router. Furnace is powered via electric engine + advanced solar. It's not the best solution as it even keeps one stack of charcoal in the managers which are supposed to only receive cargo from carts, but meh. It works, and it works flawlessly. I could probably move the amanger into the bend, split the sections up etc, but meh.

Moar pictures:
2013-02-22_051712_zps51841f08.png

2013-02-22_051759_zps85bc17d6.png

Reactions: Dark0_0firE

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
This is the plot. 4x E, this should in theory provide the perfect sapling coverage and harvesting speed.
Imma gonna copy that. :D
In case you're wondering, the managers are connected to the routers via furnaces :D.
I was just about to ask. ^^

So.. is it possible to move that machine tower underground? I mean, I do like me the looks of many machines in the same place.. but I prefer that to be in my machine rooms, not out in the wilds. ;)

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Imma gonna copy that. :D

I was just about to ask. ^^

So.. is it possible to move that machine tower underground? I mean, I do like me the looks of many machines in the same place.. but I prefer that to be in my machine rooms, not out in the wilds. ;)
Yeah, sure, hide it underground, make it horizontal, whatever. As long as everything's connected with random machinery, it's goin' to work. You could go with a smaller set-up too, transfer everything with a single tesseract. But then you'd have to filter it out somewhere anyway, so there's really no point. Especially considering that this way you can feed the items into your processing machinery without pipes and stuff.

You know, I think I'm goin' to hide my stuff underground as well :D

EDIT:
2013-02-22_180457_zps55c86cec.png

Rednpd

Jul 29, 2019

2013-02-22_022200_zpsac8ae18a.png

Off topic but, that's a seriously nice building in the background there.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I decided to make a post about my base here.

The two brick buildings are
Factory (school)
Mage guild (church)

There's a few inside shots of the factory in this thread.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
But back to boilers for a second.

The last time I attempted sawmill boilers, I used three. The production evened out at around 200°? Don't remember quite exactly, I was able to create charcoal out of the dust back then though. Keep in mind that it was a creative test aimed at showing someone how to avoid pipes. The person I was communicating with back then assured me that two are more than enough.

Heh, it evened out at 360°C. With three sawmills. Mostly evened out anyway, still having a little bit of trouble with logistics and logs arriving in a timely manner.

Oh how I hate babysitting boilers.

By the way, no wonder that blazerods have been nerfed. Right now it looks like three fermenters can't deal with the output of my tree farm running at half efficiency but eat all of the power from a solid fueled boiler which said farm can't keep up with running. The biofuel output seems... okay, but I'm not even sure if it's goin' to be enough for a single liquid boiler.

EDIT: oh, the sawmills aren't getting enough power. :D Time to remove a still or two.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
This is the errrr.. machine setup up close(rer). As you can plainly see, there's no timers, no tubes, no bullshit. This is how I like to design my machines. In case of overflow, the system will simply stop chopping down trees.

Maybe I missed it, how did you achieve this aspect of your system? Could you go into more detail? I've been trying to figure out a way to ask my Steve's Carts tree farm to just relax when the biogas tank is full. Steve's Carts is not a mod I am very good with yet.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I missed it, how did you achieve this aspect of your system? Could you go into more detail? I've been trying to figure out a way to ask my Steve's Carts tree farm to just relax when the biogas tank is full. Steve's Carts is not a mod I am very good with yet.

On my sugarcane farm, I have a buildcraft pipe checking the status of the tank.

When the tank is full, it outputs a redstone signal that I use to disable the power connection to my farm timer.

I'd think you should be able to do something similar to that, or, perhaps have a track that splits into a "wait" area? I've have yet to really dig into Steve's Cart, but it'll likely be something like that.

Or, perhaps, have the system toggle over to a void pipe/recycler when your system is full?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I just void-pipe my excess of saplings, sugarcane and cactus (all which first go into my fermenting system). I have to set up a void-pipe solution for my charcoal generation too because my single steve's cart farm produces more than my single 36HP boiler needs (I also have a 36 HP liquid boiler). Just want to make damn sure I don't crash the server by spewing entities into the world.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I just void-pipe my excess of saplings, sugarcane and cactus (all which first go into my fermenting system). I have to set up a void-pipe solution for my charcoal generation too because my single steve's cart farm produces more than my single 36HP boiler needs (I also have a 36 HP liquid boiler). Just want to make damn sure I don't crash the server by spewing entities into the world.

Why not set up another 36HP solid boiler to use those excess materials? At the very least, you could use it for two steam turbines to make 200eu/t at the cost of 198 steel roughly every two days, which is a lot of UU matter out of the deal.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Why not set up another 36HP solid boiler to use those excess materials? At the very least, you could use it for two steam turbines to make 200eu/t at the cost of 198 steel roughly every two days, which is a lot of UU matter out of the deal.

I have a powerplant building that only has room for 2, and I currently really don't use any of the 288mj/t I'm producing. But yea, that might be something I can look into.

Regarding UU matter: I have a chest full of the stuff so I don't really need any more. Used a nclear reactor to make it.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I have a powerplant building that only has room for 2, and I currently really don't use any of the 288mj/t I'm producing. But yea, that might be something I can look into.

Regarding UU matter: I have a chest full of the stuff so I don't really need any more. Used a nclear reactor to make it.

Mm, I assume you are on DireWolf20 and not MindCrack then, eh? Well, so it goes. Maybe use some of that extra power for MFFS?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no, it keeps going around. It just doesn't chop anything down. Of course, I could simply put a "if inventory full" gate on the "cargo" cargo manager and an advanced detector rail next to it to achieve just that. But I don't see the point. They're running on solar after all.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Mm, I assume you are on DireWolf20 and not MindCrack then, eh? Well, so it goes. Maybe use some of that extra power for MFFS?

Already have a forcefield system I use to kill withers. So yeah, I don't really have anything to use it on. I had a bunch of quarries but I have plenty of stuff now. :)