Tesseracts, 36HP Boiler, the sawmill... and me. >.<

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Hello people of the internet and fellow Beastfeeders.

I wanted to upgrade my liquid LP boiler to a 36HP solid fueled boiler (seeing that I literally drown in oak logs from my SC's woodfarm). Twist is, my treefarm is a tad bit away from my base. Solution: The new item tesseracts are a fine way of transporting them to my base. Hooray. But.

I am at a loss how to get a system, that prevents my sawmill from overflowing (we're talking about thousands of oak wood waiting to be sent to the mill) or even worse, spill the wood out of the pipes.

Anyone got a clue how to either manage the flow of wood or might have experience just about how many sawmills I'd need in order to keep up with my woodcrazy logging-cart?

Any help appreciated. =)

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft gates, assuming you are using pipes and not tubes, should allow you to regular the input using redstone (or pipe wire) to pull logs into the sawmill as needed. You could time them using a timer, as well.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a line of sawmills with diamond pipes inserting logs, ending in a void pipe. They'll try to insert in each one down the line and won't drop on the floor if there's no room.

Reactions: Freakscar

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Use the wireless redstone, chest (for buffer), structure pipe and bc gate.. just play with them..

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
At the moment, I am trying the following:

2013-02-20_23.01.53.jpg

Right handed is the boiler, having a chest next to it where the logs end up in. This chest is connected to the sawmill, (which, for the sake of this setup, is powered by some HV solars and an electrical engine), which then again has a pipe to a buffer and finally the receiving tesseract. I switched from a golden one to the diamond/void pipe version (which works like a charm, THANKS for that!) and on top sits a cobblestone structure pipe checking the inventory of the buffer ("has space, send pipe wire signal"), which ends up at another gate wich emits the redstone signal (had to move it away like this b/c the buffer else would be powered always, not spitting out wood but being kinda "jammed") to a wireless transmitter, with has its counterpart at the left side, where you can see my "test chest / fake sc treefarm". It has a wooden tp-pipe with an autarchic gate set to "redstone signal on - energy pulse", leading to golden tp and into the tesseract.

Am I somewhat on the right path? Or will this end up in a bored boiler and a frustrated me? I don't mind building more sawmills, if it helps? *le sigh*

Thanks for your help so far.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using three routers and two tesseracts for this. No overflow ever and no RP2 lag.

Router 1 is attached to my barrel network. It has an item filter set to pull oak logs, a machine filter (optional) set to barrels only, and an ejector upgrade dumping into a sending tesseract.

The second tesseract receives. It's connected to Router 2*, which has machine filter (tesseract only) and an ejector upgrade. It ejects into Router 3.

Router 3 has a machine filter set to sawmill only (I actually use powered furnaces, probably should switch), which feed the boiler.

* Just realizing Router 2 may be unnecessary if the tesseract automatically ejects into an attached inventory - didn't try it.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Well freakscar I was in roughly the same boat you were. SC treefarm way overproducing and wanting to start up my max size boiler. Well I can honestly say I found a really simple answer. Relays. I have a tesseract set right up to relay right into another relay right into the sawmill. This gives a buffer of 18 with no pipes or tubes. I have the other tesseract recieving from a sorting machine pulling from an upgraded barrel. As long as the barrel doesnt run out (only if the cart gets stuck or jamed) I'm set.
Also on a bit of a side note. I found after a few epic fails that one sawmill has a bit of a hard time supplying a 36 HP boiler while its heating up. Its pretty simple to kink the tesseract to the side of the last relay and and another relay/sawmill combo to help the boiler out at start. Oh and dont forget that you dont have to pipe or tube the planks from the sawmill to a chest by the boiler. Just place the sawmill right next to the chest.
Hope this helps :D Enjoy the POWA!

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
The more I think about it, you could easily feed your boiler with just one router and two tesseracts, feeding as many as two sawmills.

Router pulls, ejects into tesseract.
Tesseract 2 ejects into sawmills on either side OR has items pulled out by Buildcraft pipes. (I really need to figure out if tesseracts eject or not).

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The more I think about it, you could easily feed your boiler with just one router and two tesseracts, feeding as many as two sawmills.

Router pulls, ejects into tesseract.
Tesseract 2 ejects into sawmills on either side OR has items pulled out by Buildcraft pipes. (I really need to figure out if tesseracts eject or not).
Yeah, it's gonna be similar once I get around to rebuildin' my boilers. I'm gonna do boiler-sawmill+sawmill-boiler etc - to make sure that all of the machines are touching somehow, and I'm gonna go two sawmills per boiler. This way one tesseract and one router will keep the whole thing filled. (Machine+bandwidth a/o speed)
Tesseracts will eject into pipes, but not tubes.
Which means it ejects into inventories also. Neat, my plan will work! No overflow! Just pure green energy!

AND LOADS OF IT.

Heck, I think I'm going to do 4 SC E-shape farms. This way I can put the manager so that all of 'em touch one router which will send everything into the tesseract. Well okay, two routers and two tesseracts, I'll send the apples and sapplings trough a different path.

Do you think that the ejector upgrades ejects into tesseracts as well? That would be so sweet that I wanna cry.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Time for some redesign in Zwijburgh too ... :)

Throw a relay into the mix and a few pneumatic tubes and you can feed as many sawmills as you want.

Also, if you're looking to save a diamond and some time, the item filter is actually optional. Start the router extracting, then take out whatever it pulls first and replace it with logs. It will keep pulling whatever's in there until it runs out, and it should never run out (especially if you have a speed upgrade).

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Zwij you might want to be careful using a tesseract/relay/tube design. Even with a short amount of tubing I found that the relay could spit a whole lot of entities into that tube before something bounced back and jammed it. Much to my annoyance at having to pull several dozen stacks of logs and apples from my biofuel production. Which could of course be solved by some filters or paint, but still you could end up with some lag issues from overworked tubes.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Eh diamonds are a dime a dozen once you've got your wither skeleton farm going.

Relays are great and I've got more of those than I've got tubes in my world, but I don't think... hm, maybe if I put the relays before the tesseract? I used to love the barel+filter setup, great for buffering, but I picked up an antipathy for timers since.

Zwij you might want to be careful using a tesseract/relay/tube design. Even with a short amount of tubing I found that the relay could spit a whole lot of entities into that tube before something bounced back and jammed it. Much to my annoyance at having to pull several dozen stacks of logs and apples from my biofuel production. Which could of course be solved by some filters or paint, but still you could end up with some lag issues from overworked tubes.
Don't use tubes :p.

Especially if you're going for hard backlog buffering and front-end overflow control.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I personally wouldn't use relays, I'd just use another router and a machine filter. But a relay is way cheaper. I'm mostly thinking of the heat-up phase of the boiler when it needs tons of fuel. After that the tesseract-to-sawmills route is all you need.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I personally wouldn't use relays, I'd just use another router and a machine filter. But a relay is way cheaper. I'm mostly thinking of the heat-up phase of the boiler when it needs tons of fuel. After that the tesseract-to-sawmills route is all you need.
That's why I wanna use two sawmills per boiler. Should be enough for a cold start even. I just gotta make sure that there's enough logs. Which is why I'm thinking about relaying the tesseract instead.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. I would have figured you'd need at least 3 ... but like I said I'm using powered furnaces (just didn't think of sawmills at the time and haven't fixed it). It took me six powered furnaces to make enough charcoal to reliably keep the HP boiler in fuel as it was heating up.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using barrels + rp2 filters at my tree farms and using the new railcraft trains to bring all of the logs to a central storage and processing plant that turns the logs into wood plates that then gets sent on another train to the boilers all the movement is done with rp2 filters to be an easy failsafe way to prevent spillage. Needless to say I based this whole setup around the new trains which are really cool lmao.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, for now I got it working. I use 6 sawmills (this might be quite overkill in terms of wooden planks, but hey, I can always remove a few, once that boiler is cooking on highest temperature and I prefer to be rather safe than sorry^^), 4 tesseracts and my already in place SC tree farm. So far, I (obviously) produce far enough planks to keep the boiler running - I have not yet decided if it is doable to power a second 36HP from the farm, so building a second, or to reduce the sawmills.

Heres an image of the saw-room.
boiler-saws.jpg

Just one last question - as I already have a 27LP boiler in place, can I just pipe the HP-steam into the same liquiducts in order to power my machines, or does this not work / cause any trouble?
And thanks for everyone helping me out. =)