Terrafirmacraft Coming to FTB!?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUSGrizzly

Jul 29, 2019
Need an excuse to play TFC again, without needing to go through the difficulty in setting it up...

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Never heard of terrafirmacraft before now, what does the mod do exactly? Does it just try to make the game more realistic (what I gather from people's posts)?

If that's the case then you shouldn't be able to make diamond tools at all :confused:

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, precisely... it's a total conversion mod that changes the survival game mechanics to be more realistic. You can in fact not make diamond tools at all, and I don't think that the nether or The End are accessible.

If you're curious, just watch the video linked in the opening post of this thread.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, precisely... it's a total conversion mod that changes the survival game mechanics to be more realistic. You can in fact not make diamond tools at all, and I don't think that the nether or The End are accessible.

If you're curious, just watch the video linked in the opening post of this thread.

What's the point of diamonds then? Unless you can make diamond-tipped/edged tools.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
There's currently no point to gems at all, as far as I gathered. TFC is far from done.

But, you have to keep in mind that you also don't find diamond ore anymore. Finding gems is an ultra-rare bonus drop from certain ores and minerals.

Seriously, just check the wiki - there's two dozen kinds of stone and 14 different ores. ;)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
TFC is fun to play, but it changes so much that it even changes the world gen. A lot.
Based on this, I am not sure if other mods, like RedPower, could add their own stuff.

Also, I never found a single NPC village in TFC, and as far as I know, the whole treasure chests is completely different, so some mods like Mystcraft would compatibility have problems (read "would not crash, but would not work either").

That said, I really encourage anyone that didn't know about it to give it a try.
It is hard, and the first few days really focus on survival, scavenging for food and not having a proper place to hide at night.
At least, it makes it very difficult to even envision digging on your first day, and even cutting a tree needs a tool.

The bad part is that you basically need to have a guide open on the side, to know what to do, but that's a fun experience nonetheless.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
TFC is fun to play, but it changes so much that it even changes the world gen. A lot.
Based on this, I am not sure if other mods, like RedPower, could add their own stuff.

Also, I never found a single NPC village in TFC, and as far as I know, the whole treasure chests is completely different, so some mods like Mystcraft would compatibility have problems (read "would not crash, but would not work either").
TFC is not designed or intended to run with other mods. So of course there's going to be plenty of incompatibilities. Your biggest problem would be a lack of the item 'cobblestone' which is required for many recipes. Not having any 'wood planks' which are recognized by other mods would be another major problem. This would keep most mods from working with TFC, as you wouldn't be able to make anything in any of them.

That said, I really encourage anyone that didn't know about it to give it a try.
It is hard, and the first few days really focus on survival, scavenging for food and not having a proper place to hide at night.
At least, it makes it very difficult to even envision digging on your first day, and even cutting a tree needs a tool.

The bad part is that you basically need to have a guide open on the side, to know what to do, but that's a fun experience nonetheless.
You say this like it is a bad thing?

Honestly, I like the early tools and their uses.

Reactions: Mooseman9

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Yay, I read about this mod a while ago and found it interesting, but I failed repeatedly when trying to install it. I'll definitively give it a try as soon as it's in the launcher!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
TFC is not designed or intended to run with other mods. So of course there's going to be plenty of incompatibilities. Your biggest problem would be a lack of the item 'cobblestone' which is required for many recipes. Not having any 'wood planks' which are recognized by other mods would be another major problem. This would keep most mods from working with TFC, as you wouldn't be able to make anything in any of them.

You say this like it is a bad thing?

Honestly, I like the early tools and their uses.
No, what I say is bad is the fact that you need the wiki at hand at all times.
It would be great if it had at least the basic infos in the game.

As for planks, the regular ones used to be craftable (4 months ago, at least), but required 4 "planks", so they were incredibly expensive.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
not as expensive as the holy planks of sengir XD
A bit OT, but what the heck is the point of the holy planks anyway? :eek:

And I tried some TFC in a much earlier version. Such a different experience but at the time I sampled it's goodies, a LOT of things hadn't be implemented yet and it felt kinda scrambled inbetween too often for me. Cobble still worked for tools, etc. I'll have to try it out again when it hits FTB. :)

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't realize TFC was Forge compatible.

Actually, it requires Forge (and Player API.) ;)

(I'm guessing you weren't, but just in case you were, you may have been confusing it with BetterThanWolves, which, from what I gather, has a similarly-designed tech tree, other than obvious major discrepancies such as automation and mechanical power. However, the survival aspects of the two are very different.)

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
Just an easier way to install. ;)

Good enough for me, I got kinda frustrated about getting beaten by a single mod after having successfully put together packs with 50+ mods... :confused:

Any chances of getting it in the launcher tomorrow (as Monday is the official update-day)?

Status
Not open for further replies.