Tech Mods: Missing the Point

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Slippery slope to prove an argument is a logical fallacy. Not to influence policy. Indeed, it is one of the foundational pillars of the legal system.
Still, leaves a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Though, that may be because I've spent a rather long time watching people use that very argument to rationalize damn near everything, no matter how stupid.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I always find it funny when people call Rotary Craft iron hungry. Especially since Reika went to all the trouble of ensuring that you get bonus Steel from the Blast furnace if you fill it completely with iron. (All 9 slots, not 9x64, although that helps as well.) Of course, one wind turbine and a worm gear will run a grinder without issue. Not terribly fast, but it will do it.

Anyway, I get mDiyo's point, but at the same time, I think he's wrong. True, there's very little progression in some mods, and lots required in others. Can you skip? Sure. The problem isn't with the mods themselves. Instead it's with the balancing. Unless they are required to have another mod, such as Forestry requiring Buildcraft, or GregTech requiring IC2, all mods have to be balanced at least initially against Vanilla. It's only once they're in direct comparison to other mods that most of them have a problem. Each one is almost it's own game.

Can you skip balance points? Sure. I can skip the annoying part of IC2 ore multiplication with a TE Pulverizer.

Reactions: trajing and 1SDAN

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I always find it funny when people call Rotary Craft iron hungry. Especially since Reika went to all the trouble of ensuring that you get bonus Steel from the Blast furnace if you fill it completely with iron. (All 9 slots, not 9x64, although that helps as well.) Of course, one wind turbine and a worm gear will run a grinder without issue.

But was it really necessary to invent his own "better than your steel" steel?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yes, given the ease with which it's made it originally would have completely invalidated every else's steel making processes because it was such an integral part of RoC. Which I suspect is why it was not OreDict to begin with. Someone saw Steel and HSLA Steel and figured there was no difference and thus kicked progression in Monster completely out of whack.

Reactions: 1SDAN

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes, given the ease with which it's made it originally would have completely invalidated every else's steel making processes because it was such an integral part of RoC. Which I suspect is why it was not OreDict to begin with. Someone saw Steel and HSLA Steel and figured there was no difference and thus kicked progression in Monster completely out of whack.
I asked Eyamaz about this; his answer was that mod material intercompatibility was more important than the production systems in the other mods.

For what it is worth, the option in RC only exists because it was designed for a GT environment, where many recipes have their iron requirements replaced with steel, often making simple things stupidly difficult and/or tedious to accomplish.

Or redesign vanilla to better suit one's mod.

Mods that do this are in a class of their own, as they tend to be fundamentally incompatible with anything based off of "vanilla vanilla" ( :confused: ). Additionally, many people, myself included, do not wish to modify the base game, as they feel it wrecks the "feel" of the game.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
That makes some sense. Though I'm glad that whatever he did do, didn't affect the RoC Worktable and it's ability to craft RoC steel armor pieces. Otherwise it all turns into Railcraft armor, which is slightly worse than yours.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Looking back on it, the old Universal Electricity mods were ahead of their time, too bad I didnt appreciate what they were trying to do then. A batch of mods DESIGNED to be played together, with a clearly defined end goal (build a rocketship). Where each mod represented its own place in the progression tree. Nobody seemed afraid to admit their mod was just part of a greater whole. Or maybe they did and thats why UE broke up the band, each of the guys just wanted more credit. Maybe it was just boring for some of them to maintain a mod that only did item transport. I dunno.

What I am saying is that if modders could get on the same page and figure out where their place is in the tech tree and agree on some standards, then the modded minecraft tech tree could finally solidify into something fair in terms of time and resources invested.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Looking back on it, the old Universal Electricity mods were ahead of their time, too bad I didnt appreciate what they were trying to do then. A batch of mods DESIGNED to be played together, with a clearly defined end goal (build a rocketship). Where each mod represented its own place in the progression tree. Nobody seemed afraid to admit their mod was just part of a greater whole. Or maybe they did and thats why UE broke up the band, each of the guys just wanted more credit. Maybe it was just boring for some of them to maintain a mod that only did item transport. I dunno.

What I am saying is that if modders could get on the same page and figure out where their place is in the tech tree and agree on some standards, then the modded minecraft tech tree could finally solidify into something fair in terms of time and resources invested.
This is arguably even worse than the "mods should have limits" mentality. You are in effect setting up a rigid hierarchy of mods and their developers, one that not only will import all of the problems of forced standardization, but also of rivalries and a "social order" of mods.

Want your mod to grow into a high-end powerhouse? Sucks to be you if you were decreed to be at some lower point in the tree.

Not to mention slamming the door in the face of new mods which do not yet have a place in such a construct.