Taking it elsewhere; a request for some NON-TiC based packs

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to resource acquisition the main point of balance, for ores at least, is more likely to be cofh core or metallurgy. Mods like Tinker's construct just give more ways to exploit the materials put there by cofh etc. Hopefully it does this in a fun way. In Resonant Rise, default ore gen is very generous, and half an hour to an hour with a decent hammer and an ender pouch will get you plenty of resources, but its mainly because of high ore gen, ore doubling and a slightly reimplemented vanilla fortune mechanic. When I am mining with my TiCo Hammer Ragnarok (I thought mjolnir was too cliche) I do feel very powerful, but it is mainly because I am playing a pack that throws resources at you (at least in default mode).

Also, in 1.6, I don't think Tinker's Construct has been quite the dominating force it is being made out to be. Powerful tools have been found in many other mods and its not like they are being ignored. Dartcraft, Redstone Arsenal, Thaumcraft + addons, Blood Magic etc. They have existed alongside Tinker's Construct in many of the packs I have seen (not just FTB) and people are playing with their tools too. Also, mods like Open blocks and Liquid XP, while not adding tools themselves, improve the enchanting system so much (just remembered so does Thaumic Tinkerer). This buff has made the enchantments, that bring other mod's tools up to the same standard (or higher) as fully upgraded Tinker's tools, much more accessible and fun.

I'm sorry if that sounded a bit aggressive Keybounce, and others. I am highly caffeinated after a marathon Lua session.

tl:dr There are plenty of alternatives already in existence alongside Tinker's Construct. Balance points do not reside in the tools, but in the scarcity of the resources they harvest.
Im... At a loss of words
Just... This. All this.
This is my entire mind

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
After reading your reply, I've got just four words for you.

:)

P.S: :) Was it compcraft lua? Is it shareable?
The stuff I wrote before midnight GMT is shareable. The stuff afterwards is an abomination.

It is computercraft Lua. I am trying to finish up some programs before I release a world download of my Arendelle World.

I have been doing code cleanup and adding some new features to some APIs that I am writing to make the whole job easier. One feature I am particularly proud of is a way of using the arrow keys to navigate through a menu. Its not quite finished and it isn't fully documented, but you can have a look if you want. (The first three functions are pretty much finished, although they rely on a couple of other functions that I am still tweaking. Functions that are still being tweaked will have a --tweak comment next to them).

http://pastebin.com/kGTK5vBL

Here is a little example script I wrote to test it out. The api is stored in a file called terminal, make sure you do the same so it works properly.

Code:
os.unloadAPI("terminal")
os.loadAPI("terminal")

local menu = terminal.constructSelectionMenu()
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Bonnibel")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Esmerelda")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Megera")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Kida")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Anna")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Elsa")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Aurora")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Belle")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Ariel")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Tiana")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Rapunzel")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Merida")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Cinderella")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Mulan")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Pocahontas")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Snow White")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Jasmine")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Charlotte")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Giselle")
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Leia")

term.clear()
term.setCursorPos(1,1)
term.setTextColor(colors.white)
print("Menu Test\n")
local x,y = term.getCursorPos()
local selected = terminal.dPadMenu(menu, 3, nil, 5)
term.clear()
term.setCursorPos(1,1)
term.setTextColor(colors.pink)
print(selected.." is a very beautiful Princess!")
I like to do Princess themes for my test programs.

If there are too many options to fit in at once the program splits all the options up into pages which are fully navigable. constructSelectionPart also takes an optional third argument. If left blank and that selection part is selected by dPadMenu then it will return whatever is in the second argument. However, you can customize the return using the third argument. So if you edited the Charlotte option like this

Code:
terminal.constructSelectionPart(menu, "Charlotte", "Everyone")

selecting Charlotte will print everyone is a beautiful Princess instead of Charlotte is a beautiful Princess. This has many more useful applications and I am going to implement it into several of my programs soon.

It may not be the most efficient implementation of this idea, but it works well enough. However, I have since tried making a similar function that uses mouse clicks to select many options at once. The only reason it is not on fire is because I can't afford to replace my computer.

Anyway, like I said I plan on sharing this properly soon, so I don't mind people looking at the stuff that works in advance. Obviously I wouldn't stop you from using it either, although I can't guarantee it will work flawlessly.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Have to agree, I personally find ore generation too generous by default. There's actually no need to multiply your ores via whatever process. So has an experiment, my personal pack on my server is running with 4x less ores (roughly) and various other tweaks to make resources more scarce.
It's been quite enjoyable so far. Everything you do has to be carefully planned to avoid waste, and building anything at all is a bigger sense of achievement.
It's also putting less "emphasis" on automated mining, with players focusing on other options within the pack to gather resources.

So, in a nutshell, it's not always the mod that looks OP, but the world generation.

Reactions: glepet1962

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Other mods that add tools should just go ahead and copy some of Tinker's more useful features so we dont always have to make the same tools every time we play. Specifically the Hammer, thats pretty much the only tico tool I have been spoiled by and cant give up.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
You guys do know that there's other launchers out there right? I don't really know if the other launchers (multiMC, ATLauncher, MagicLauncher to name a few) will be as ready for 1.7 as FTB but they will be nor are they as robust as FTB but hey are options if the new FTB packs seem inadequate.
Also with the 1.7 ID change the headache of ID conflicts is somewhat diminished (I still think conflicts could still occur, how does it handle items/ blocks with the same name?). All you need to know then is how to install forge (which is only difficult if you use a separate instance launcher), maybe how to use a MC instance handler and how to find out which mod just plain old don't play nice together.
So it should be a smidgeon easier to make your pack, distribution will be the same though unless you aren't shy with stepping on modders toes with permisison. (I suggest people try to respect modders wishes though, if not out of a sense of decency, then to avoid the modders wrath)

One tip with MultiMC (in 1.6.4) it doesn't like it when you heap on mods at the start, you end up with memory troubles and mods don't initialize properly if at all (at least that's what the console said). If you add them and run them one to three at a time it tends to work.
Either way if you are making a pack totaly from scratch this will be what you have to do anyway to avoid conflicts at least as at now (1.6.4).

FTB are awesome, but you are not beholden to them.
They cant have rhe same name unless the mod authors are being weird... The format is Mod:Item/block So, IC2:Tin is seperate from TE3:Tin

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
They cant have rhe same name unless the mod authors are being weird... The format is Mod:Item/block So, IC2:Tin is seperate from TE3:Tin

If the pack has been properly constructed the two Tins, in this case, are linked in the ore dictionary.

Reactions: null123

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, this information is outdated. As of... probably 1.5.5.5, the redstone modifier gives more and more speed depending on the amount of times you use it, so the maximum speed a Cobalt+Paper+Thaumium pickaxe with two extra modifiers could get is 60. You'd get a speed above that 39 with five full haste modifiers. AND there's also how you can add a third modifier, by using a block of diamond and a Notch apple, bringing that first pickaxe to 71 speed (gasp).

Now if only Thaumic Integration was out so I could have that void touch modifier :(

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, this information is outdated. As of... probably 1.5.5.5, the redstone modifier gives more and more speed depending on the amount of times you use it, so the maximum speed a Cobalt+Paper+Thaumium pickaxe with two extra modifiers could get is 60. You'd get a speed above that 39 with five full haste modifiers. AND there's also how you can add a third modifier, by using a block of diamond and a Notch apple, bringing that first pickaxe to 71 speed (gasp).

Now if only Thaumic Integration was out so I could have that void touch modifier :(
Did we factor in metallurgy metals?