Taking it elsewhere; a request for some NON-TiC based packs

Azagal73

Jul 29, 2019
Simply put: Can we please see an FTB pack that is NOT designed around either "artificial difficulty" of full-out IgT, nor "You're going be a super-demigod with TiC, so lets make the rest harder to compensate", but is based around vanilla tools/weapons instead? And yes, given the current state of mods/packs, I'm expecting this as a 1.7 or 1.8 pack.

You can use FTB Lite 2, it doesn't have TiC in it.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I like TiC tools enough that I fully support this thread just to help cut the umbilical. It kinda bugs me that I value my mining hammer-of-doom way, way more than a freaking mining laser.

Aaaaaarrrrrhhhhh!!! Wear that badge with pride along with the rest of us (*), me heartie ;)

(*) there's one so-and-so that is still carrying his "direhammer" and "direvator" with pride

Edit: to like your reply or leave it as it is, that is my conundrum :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I just remembered this truly great pun from another thread yesterday. It might be relevant here :(
Would you like some cheese with your whine? Or do you prefer grapes?
In all honesty what do you really expect from total conversion packs with TiCo and IgT as a central progression?

What I want is for people who have the skill and artistry to make a good conversion pack to base it around something other than TiC/IgT.

Yes, Agrarian Skies and MF2 rely on it, but I'm pretty sure they technically aren't FTB packs,

Yea, yea, Jaded's modpacks are not officially FTB, fine, but they seem to be very very popular around here :). (EDIT: as mentioned, MF2 seems to be FTB, the others not.)

Re: Levels as a grind: I've never felt that leveling was a grind, at least not since getting XP for mining, farming, fishing, etc. Or are you saying that your automation systems don't give the XP that doing it manually does? (maybe they should pipe liquid XP out to a jar-brain for storage for you?)

Seriously, since 14x, I've never had to wait more than about an hour of actually doing stuff between L30's, and less if I'm trying for a 21 for a bow, etc. And I'm not even a super fast XP gainer.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Simply put: Can we please see an FTB pack that is NOT designed around either "artificial difficulty" of full-out IgT, nor "You're going be a super-demigod with TiC, so lets make the rest harder to compensate", but is based around vanilla tools/weapons instead? And yes, given the current state of mods/packs, I'm expecting this as a 1.7 or 1.8 pack.
I don't understand. What has been made "harder" because of the power of TiCo? I mean, how has the presence of TiCo made using vanilla tools harder?

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like TiC, nor IgT.

I do not feel that TiC is balanced; it allows making significantly stronger / more powerful tools. mDiyo does claim that it is balanced, and says that there is a mathemetical curve/progression that he keeps things in balance to, and says that the large tools reach/touch this limit, without breaking it. So I appreciate that there is an effort to keep the TiC tools balanced with regard to each other, and to have some sense of tradeoff.

But it ultimately feels like running around with TiC tools, or TiC weapons, makes you significantly more powerful than you would be with just vanilla tools/weapons, resulting in less effort/challenge in an already low-challenge environment.

Ideally, TiC tools/weapons would be a choice alongside vanilla ones. Maybe you'd use one, or the other; neither would be completely outclassed. But that's not the case -- except for the very top-of-the-line vanilla enchanted stuff, TiC stuff does better, and even then there are some specialized TiC items that cannot be matched (a tool with 100% unbreaking, or 1 durability left, stonebound, and powered by energy).

IgT seems to be even worse. Yes, it starts by nerfing/weaking TiC stuff, until that stuff improves; but instead of making it so that TiC stuff is comparible to vanilla, so you can be reasonably expected to use both, it usually (by default, and in most modpacks) disables all (or almost all) vanilla stuff. And worse, in the default settings, it turns TiC into a 7-layer grind.

If you don't like them, remove them. The only packs that are really based around them are magic farm, agrarian skies and blood and bones. Other than that you can remove the mod from the pack or just not use it.

I do agree with the idea of not adding more powerful weapons for more powerful mobs though, otherwise FTB will turn into a game that is impossible early game and easy late game.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
(which will only get worse in 1.8 because results are locked until you enchant something)..

How is it worse? Firstly you get a hint as to what it going onto the tool, secondly the cost is 1/10th of what it previously was. If the hint says bane of arthropods, just enchant a lvl 1 book, then the tool will have a different enchant next time you try. Not to mention repairing is also 1/10th of what it was prior. There's no question it's better.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The hint is a good change, but the lapis cost (which might not be that high but is still something) and this seed locking feel a bit annoying, even though I haven't cared enough about snapshots to try it out yet. Needing to enchant something else because you got a bad seed just adds another step to the grind and makes you waste levels when they're at a moderately high experience cost.
At least the change in the repairing cost is great, it took them long enough to make that useful.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
While I find OP's request reasonable I am not sure if there would be many people begging to return back to vanilla style tools...

Also what packs are balanced AROUND TiC? I have not come across any in the FTB launcher. MF2 and BnB use TiC and IgT as a early game progression gate but I could hardly call that balanced around.
Sure, dislike TiC and you are free to ask (in vain) for a pack without the mods, but saying FTB packs are balanced around the mods is an absolute falsehood.
I would make the claim that there isn't one reasonably balanced modpack in the FTB collection, Magicfarm2 comes close and don't even mention BnB... That pack is not balanced at all. It's the antithesis of easy, the total inversion of carebear, ergo not balanced at all.

I just want an intermediate pack, I'm one of those players that has too much ego to choose "I'm a wimp" difficulty but too much of an actual wimp to choose Nightmare.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Um... what FTB pack is designed around this?[DOUBLEPOST=1399516492][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would be extremely surprised if there's currently a single pack balanced solely around TiCo as it currently stands, so your wish more than likely already exists. Yes, Agrarian Skies and MF2 rely on it, but I'm pretty sure they technically aren't FTB packs, and that TiCo isn't the sole balancing point.

You sir are correct. If in the launcher it says anything other then FTB Team as the creator. it is NOT an FTB pack. All 3 packs with a heavy leaning on TiC and IgT are NOT FTB packs. IgT isn't even in any FTB packs.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
What I want is for people who have the skill and artistry to make a good conversion pack to base it around something other than TiC/IgT.

Yea, yea, Jaded's modpacks are not officially FTB, fine, but they seem to be very very popular around here :). (EDIT: as mentioned, MF2 seems to be FTB, the others not.)

So because I have made a couple popular packs. Packs that are not FTB packs. The changelog site is just stuck. If any of my packs were FTB packs they would be in the top of the launcher with the other FTB packs. But I digress, because I make popular packs, that use mods you don't like, I should drop everything to make a pack that doesn't use those mods? Those packs are based on my inspiration. If a mod doesn't inspire me I am not building a pack with it. My personal packs are built on what I love, what inspires me to play. They are not built to appeal to everyone. Ag Skies was built mainly as a joke on a dare from skyboy. If people enjoy it great. If people don't enjoy it play something else. But to demand that I or Eyamaz create modpacks based on what one player likes or dislikes? Really? And before you again go "No I mean FTB" , no the packs you have listed are all NON-FTB packs. Me and @Eyamaz made the 3 packs you listed based on what we want to play. So you are upset because our personal packs don't appeal to you and you want us to make sure the next personal pack we make does.

My contention has always been that the best packs are made from inspiration not by trying to appeal to everyone. Popular packs become popular one of 3 ways:
  1. Have a famous youtuber with a built in audience put their name on it.
  2. Have it be one of the top listed packs in a major launcher
  3. Make a good pack based on inspiration and gameplay and don't try to appeal to everyone and see what happens.
Ag Skies, BnB and MF2 grew popular from number 3. In otherwords we built what we liked and other people liked it too. You not liking it doesn't mean we can magic up a pack that fits how you play and have it be popular. That's not how it works.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
The hint is a good change, but the lapis cost (which might not be that high but is still something) and this seed locking feel a bit annoying, even though I haven't cared enough about snapshots to try it out yet. Needing to enchant something else because you got a bad seed just adds another step to the grind and makes you waste levels when they're at a moderately high experience cost.
At least the change in the repairing cost is great, it took them long enough to make that useful.

You realise you can name your tools and the repair cost gets locked right? That will be gone in 1.8. So overall, the repairing got a nerf bat.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like TiC, nor IgT.

<words>
Let me help you out.

diable.jpg