Suggest ModPacks for Creation

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
The real challenge is making sure that you make it a different grind than the usual Ex Nihilo + HQM. Maybe without TiCon and using "Vanilla" Metallurgy progression instead.
Metallurgy... Interesting idea. But the thing is, I don't really have plans to have ores. Mostly having Dirt caves for mushroom wastes, Packed Ice for frozen wastes, and Sandstone for desert wastes. But maybe combining that with Magical Crops?

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Metallurgy... Interesting idea. But the thing is, I don't really have plans to have ores. Mostly having Dirt caves for mushroom wastes, Packed Ice for frozen wastes, and Sandstone for desert wastes. But maybe combining that with Magical Crops?
I like Magical Crops, I think it'd be cool to combine it with botania and make it your progression. Maybe you have to mix and upgrade seeds?

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
I like Magical Crops, I think it'd be cool to combine it with botania and make it your progression. Maybe you have to mix and upgrade seeds?
Maybe. I just feel it'll be too much like Regrowth, and so I decided that I would have a fourth wasteland with ore. And I've posted a thread on the thing. Might keep Magical Crops in the back of my head.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe. I just feel it'll be too much like Regrowth, and so I decided that I would have a fourth wasteland with ore. And I've posted a thread on the thing. Might keep Magical Crops in the back of my head.
Magical Crops + Thaumcraft? Blood Magic?

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
Magical Crops + Thaumcraft? Blood Magic?
Honestly, I've just gotten started with this whole modding thing, don't know much about all the mods. But yeah, Metallurgy + Magical Crops, maybe. Perhaps have some way of getting the other metals though.

mathwiz617

Apr 29, 2015
I want to design a modpack kinda like Regrowth, where Botania is the main focus, though there is some tech. One twist: generators from other mods won't be effective, producing little to no power. The only way to get lots of RF would be through Botania's Mana Fluxfield block. Or, perhaps, the generators could take Botania items in their recipies, such as runes or elementium.

The mods will play together more than a regular pack. Railcraft can be used to transport large amounts of mana, via mana carts. The mana can be used to make vis for Thaumcraft through Forbidden Magic, and Applied Energistics will have the Thaumic energistics addon to store essentia. Thermal Dynamics will be missing, in preference of Buildcraft and Logistics Pipes (once the latter updates). Ender IO will replace Thermal Expansion simply for the ender rail, which, combined with Railcraft, will be a replacement for the tesseract.

I was thinking of some possible builds, and came up with: Pump lava out of the Nether into tank carts > Ender rail to overworld > Unload to Arcane Spa from Thaumcraft > feed to thermalilies > split mana between storage and RF gen > fuel Dimensional Trancievers. With luck, some config changes, and some MineTweaker, this could actually be a way to gain RF.

Might have a quest book to get you on your way, but I haven't decided about that yet.

Well, I've refined my idea a bit. It'll be a quest-driven pack, though with unlimited lives. I'll use Custom NPCs and a currency instead of having the player go mining for ores and such. The map will be a small town and its surrounding area, with buildings that serve a purpose such as a greenhouse, an archeological dig, a farm, and a mob arena. The player will be provided with a mana fluxfield, stone tools, a grindstone, and just enough coins to get started at first. Through the quest book, or through trading with NPCs, the player can earn more coins.

Goodness, I have a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Ulfari

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I've refined my idea a bit. It'll be a quest-driven pack, though with unlimited lives. I'll use Custom NPCs and a currency instead of having the player go mining for ores and such. The map will be a small town and its surrounding area, with buildings that serve a purpose such as a greenhouse, an archeological dig, a farm, and a mob arena. The player will be provided with a mana fluxfield, stone tools, a grindstone, and just enough coins to get started at first. Through the quest book, or through trading with NPCs, the player can earn more coins.

Goodness, I have a lot of work to do.
I could help build

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
THIS. THREAD. CANNOT. DIE!!!!! :p

Anyway, what about a progressive magic modpack centered around Aura Cascade?

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
THIS. THREAD. CANNOT. DIE!!!!! :p

Anyway, what about a progressive magic modpack centered around Aura Cascade?
Never played the mod before but I've heard good things, and with HQM it os becoming easy to make a modpack centered around a mod. I like to call HQM the lazy way to balance.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
A galacticract pack with a sky block twist. Basically you spend your time trying to repair your spaceship to return to a space station which also needs to be repaired so you can get to a habitable planet to make getting certain supplies like food and wood easier. And then eventually get a fully functional space ship to travel to your hearts content. This is the space station step was inspired by "The Martian" so you can look that up for more ideas. Basically you have the first "Age" where you are stranded in a capsule/broken down space ship(Like Gravity) food and resources are finite. You need to get to a space station to get more advanced supplies and very limited food production. And then the habital planet allows food production and then an exploration age to get more resources. So a super fun HQM galacticraft pack with a pretty strict story line.

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
So, while everybody was hyped about Infinity Evolved, I was thinking about the things I could do with FTB Tweaks. And I think I just had the best idea for a pack ever. You with me? Okay, good.

A Thaumcraft-themed pack in the sky. Not sky block but around 6 massive islands surrounding a small starting island. Each one would have a kingdom themed after one of the primal aspects in it. The kicker? Thaumcraft aspects have been changed per location via FTB Tweaks and Command Blocks. Nothing else has been (changed per location, that is, recipes have been tweaked worldwide for other purposes), but each main kingdom has different aspects from the same item. Some aspects don't even exist elsewhere by scanning! You'll have to import those aspects from other places and stuff like that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've been thinking about what I want out of a mod pack. I typically end up playing a short world in the latest kitchen sink and then turning off the mods I don't like and adding the ones I do from other packs, and then creating a world. Sadly, there isn't one for 1.7, and it looks as though we're going to be here a while. I've been playing Etho's LP Pack, but it hasn't been updated, and there are other mods I want to play with now.

Mostly I want a pack where teleportation only exists for energy, and flight is something that's very much a part of the end game. Except for something like Modular Powersuit's Jetboots, which is vertical only. (Though gliders mean it's still very fast movement.) Very tech heavy, with one or two Magic mods.

Zartanio

Jul 29, 2019
I would really like to see packs move away from the habit of forcing a player to build down a certain tech tree (and usually over and over down all the paths available). It often seems that the goal is to teach the various mods - which can have value - but I find myself building whatever is is they call for and then throwing it in a chest because I have a different plan in mind. I am also really tired of a hundred quest lines that require the creation of 100,000 widgets. It helps pad the title ("500+ quests!!!) but it doesn't really add anything to the game play. I guess in short I want a really deep, well developed story that gives me logical goals, lets me get there in my own way, and doesn't pad out the quest tree with terrible grinding.

Reactions: immibis

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
SPOILER ALERT!
Myself and team Badlands have been working on a pack like that already. The main thing it revolves around is thaumcraft, botania, and then bees for resources. Only tech in there is buildcraft and logistics pipes then your regular forestry stuff.
Inspired by my comment of not? :p

Cause I had a few ideas for a laid-back Harvest Moon-type skyblock pack with "seasons", each with a theme of a certain aspect. Ordo and Perditio would have holidays. You would get resources through ore berries a la Running Red, and Agricraft would also be available. TC resources would be obtained through Aura Cascade (recipes for TC Aura Nodes) and Botania (petals would be permanent sources of certain aspects). Tech would also be present in the form of logistics mods and then Engineer's Toolbox. 'Twas gonna be saved for Jampacked 3, but you made me spill. Oh well, great minds think alike!

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
---
Its been in development after MINECO 1.0.4 dropped so roughly a month or so before you suggested it. We all threw out ideas in the group chat and the main ones were bees, trees, magic, and very light tech. So its mainly a Frankenstein project with all of our cool idea jumbled together. So mainly its bees for resources botania for early game magic then thaumcraft for later game magic and finally tech for automating it all.
And no FTB tweaks aspect trickery? Cause that was the main idea of mine.

Dwhiteycus

Jul 29, 2019
I had a good idea for a mudpack, but It might require an extra new mod or two, but we have had HQM set in burning worlds (regrowth, crashlanding) and set in no world at all (agrarian sky's 1&2) but what about one that starts you off in an ocean world or better a flooded world and with use of mariculture and witchery and such sinkmods you need to drain the world of the Flood, it can be called, THE FLOOD! *queue dramatic music*

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
THE FLOOD!
Sounds like something I wanted to do that basically required you to pan for basic materials(Seeds, Sticks, dirt, sand), then make a block to get better materials(Metal dust for basic metals, 4 dust makes chunks, chunks are cooked into nuggets) and then upgrade stuff further. But then you add finite liquids.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Just tossing out a thought I've had for a few weeks. May give it a try once I've done my current modpack properly.

Imagine you're on a world that's barren of mineral resources. You have wood, stone, dirt, and passive animals. No hostiles. Sounds boring.

Interestingly enough, there are portals scattered across this world that lead to various resources... and dangerous enemies. You brave enough?

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2