Steves carts treefarm - what components do I need?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Something you guys may have missed, if you want to automate the system at all(judging off information I've been told, I'm literally building it right now). Apart from a cargo manager, you need a cargo distributor adjacent to it. That's what you can pipe in and out of, the actual manager itself isn't friendly with pipes.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Okay! Also what is the name of the device to make the machines to make the carts and such?
Cart assembler
Insert your intended hull for the cart first, and it will show you all the slots available you can put modules in.
It also takes fuel to make the cart, not sure what types, but it took coal for me

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Wood cutter, compact solar engine, coal engine, internal chest and top chest, fertilizer as bonus. Tracks like this:

zeQDDvp.png

I just made it so thats why is low on saplings.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
What type of track do I need next to the cargo manager (which is next to cargo distrubitor) for it to drop its stuff off? I see many tracks with detector in it..is it just Detector Track?

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I can't figure out this cargo manager & dis at all! I want saplings go to two places:

The cart & to my fermentor..is this possible?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I can't figure out this cargo manager & dis at all! I want saplings go to two places:

The distributor goes under or on top of the cargo manager. It's hard to explain how it works, on the cargo manager there are a lot of options relating to what happens when the cart stops next to each side of the block. Like empty the storage in the cart, fill the engine, etc.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Regarding engines this info might be helpful...

Coal Engines: 2 types, small and regular one...They're both easy to make and dont take much room so might as well make the regular...It is slightly more efficient and holds more fuel.
Solar Engines: Most people say compact solar engines, but just because it has a higher modular and material cost doesnt mean its better. The ONLY difference between it and a Solar Engine lies in it's placement and energy storage...The compact solars take up side slots instead of the cart's top slot.
Compact solar engine holds 25,000 units, Solar engine holds 800,000.... Even the small solar engine holds 100,000 (but it's less efficient). You don't see this until you've actually installed the thing, and when you set up your cart, just leave it in the sun for a bit to charge up. That gives it a nice battery backup for when it hides under foliage or bad weather / nighttime rolls around.

If you don't use solars, it shouldn't be a logistical nightmare to set up a loop that takes out some wood to make charcoal and pumps it right back in. You can even build that in a small room underneath your cargo manager / distributor so it's out of the way...or if you like the idea of a small hut off to the side with your machinery then that might be interesting too.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
You should not be unloading "all parts" of your cart with the manager. Make sure you are telling the manager to unload just your storage space. The saplings that your cart needs to replant are -not- kept in the storage so they will stay on board your cart.
If you don't use solars, it shouldn't be a logistical nightmare to set up a loop that takes out some wood to make charcoal and pumps it right back in. You can even build that in a small room underneath your cargo manager / distributor so it's out of the way...or if you like the idea of a small hut off to the side with your machinery then that might be interesting too.
For greatest simplicity you can skip creating charcoal - just run the cart with Logs as fuel.
I use one pickup/dropoff rail. Top left quarter of my manager says "unload all storage". Top right quarter of my manager says "load engine". The sorting system that pulls the items from my manager does it slow enough that there is always plenty of wood in the manager to fill my engine before it goes on its merry way back to tree cutting.

Reactions: Zudguard

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I never really got the manager working right, especially when just use one face of it, kept getting logs back into into my engines when I only wanted to use saplings. I now use a corner set up with a manager and distributor and a furnace and it seems to be working fine. I can provide a vid link if you're interested, although I'm sure other people's setups are simpler.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I use a sorting machine to pull out from my system, I set it to full stacks of logs only so that some were left over just in case I ran out of logs in the cart.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I have a pipe directly connected to my cargo manager...which is pulling everything from the chests. How can I tell it to keep some logs for fuel?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I have a pipe directly connected to my cargo manager...which is pulling everything from the chests. How can I tell it to keep some logs for fuel?
I don't think you can. But, assuming BC pipes and a redstone engine pulling the items (?), I can't imagine this unloads all of the logs before your cart finishes unloading and starts pulling fuel items back into its engine... how are you setting it up to be refueled?

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think so..cause I don't understand the cargo and colors and stuff. SOlar is main and I just check and put charcoal in for secondary.

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
The yellow side (yellow hat) is on track side while pipe is blue..how can I set up the log thing that some go back?

in33XHPL8PKex.png

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My cart stops on just one color, yellow. All 4 quadrants of my manager are set to the same color, Yellow.
The top right quadrant I have set to fill the engine with fuel items (click on the chest looking icon until you see the engine icon). The other 3 quadrants are all set to pull everything from the storage (chest icons). Pay attention to your 4 arrows! One needs to point to your cart's engine, the rest should indicate unloading from the storage.

I will try to remember to get a screenshot tonight if someone else doesn't explain this better.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I use a Filter that's set to pull full stacks only of logs, sapling, and apples. It's pulsed every 30 seconds by a timer. That way there's nearly always plenty of logs and saplings to re-stock the engine and tree planter.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
(I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, so I will.)

This cart moves very slowly, so it is the perfect application for which the wooden rails in Railcraft were designed. If you have the wood and creosote and would prefer to use standard tracks made of steel or iron somewhere else, replace them with wooden tracks for your tree farm.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I wonder if acacia trees might be better than oaks, actually. They seem to produce a good number of saplings, and you won't have apples to get rid of. Unless you want to squeeze the apples of course, but I haven't bothered with that yet. Any other suggestions for tree types to maximise the sapling yield?