Steves carts treefarm - what components do I need?

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on how you plan to use the products. I am not sure acacia wood burns to charcoal in a coke oven, for instance, and I know I've run into more than one recipe in which acacia logs or planks didn't work. If you want saplings, oak is your best bet by far when compared to the other vanilla trees. Not the small oaks, mind you, but the occasional huge, branching one makes the biggest difference. Even a 2x2 jungle tree doesn't produce as many saplings. For the mod trees, just make sure you can use the products for everything you want to use them for. If you can, FIR. Lots of saplings on those fir trees (but check that the cart cuts high enough, because it might not).

Now I gotta try setting one of this up with some cheated-in silverwood saplings, and then watch what happens with all the nodes. Probably best to do that in a test world.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Ha ha, silverwood tree farm, brilliant idea! Not a great sapling yield though.
They have slightly less than one sapling per tree
So.. :<
Can't run a perpetual silverwood tree farm... >.>

But I have heard that sickles can be enchanted with fortune, and that affects sapling yield.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing for you! The Steve's Carts tree harvester only recognizes the 4 vanilla tree materials as being trees. That means acacia, silverwood, twilight oak, rubbertree, and the tree that grew from any sapling you got through Forestry's cross-breeding feature (even if it's one of the 4 vanilla trees) are not trees.

I did some further testing with our 4 familiar friends. With half a stack of coal coke, identical tracks, one stack of saplings, and one stack of bonemeal, here are the results:
Oak: 25 stacks of wood, 7 stacks of saplings
Spruce: 24 stacks of wood, 5 stacks of saplings
Jungle: 34 stacks of wood, 5 stacks of saplings
Spruce: (ran out of fuel before it built up 1 stack of saplings - didn't seem worth it to keep testing but this might necessitate another attempt)

So, if you want wood, go with jungle. If you want saplings, go with oak.

(edit: I typed ash but meant spruce)

Reactions: PhilHibbs

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Wow. Thanks for that. I am actually running low on wood now since I set up an automatic wood > charcoal > generator rig for my EU supply. I would switch over to electric furnaces to reduce loss but I don't think a Router Machine Filter will recognise them. I know it won't recognise iron furnaces. I could try Blulectric ones I suppose.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Oak: 25 stacks of wood, 7 stacks of saplings
Spruce: 24 stacks of wood, 5 stacks of saplings
Jungle: 34 stacks of wood, 5 stacks of saplings
Spruce: (ran out of fuel before it built up 1 stack of saplings - didn't seem worth it to keep testing but this might necessitate another attempt)
I see Spruce and Spruce... is one of those supposed to be Birch?

And, am I correct in saying Jungle logs >> only 3 planks whereas Oak >> 4 planks? If so, when saw-milling and burning the planks, Oak would be as good as Jungle. But Jungle would win if you're making logs into charcoal.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
And, am I correct in saying Jungle logs >> only 3 planks whereas Oak >> 4 planks? If so, when saw-milling and burning the planks, Oak would be as good as Jungle. But Jungle would win if you're making logs into charcoal.
Unless you're using the Ultimate pack and Greg badtouched jungle wood in the naughty, no. The vanilla woods all work exactly the same last time I used them, with the exception of jungle wood being able to support cocoa. You can sawmill jungle wood for 6 planks just like oak, and both work equally well in a furnace or in a coke oven to produce charcoal.