Steves carts treefarm - what components do I need?

clippjam

Jul 29, 2019
I want to create a tree farm with steves carts, but I dont know what parts I need to build it out of. I have a woodcutter, and a solar engine, but is there anything else I need for it? and once its built, how should I lay out the farm?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to add a second engine to that. I usually add a compact solar engine and a basic coal engine. You're also going to need some internal storage so it can hold all the wood.

As far as laying out the farm, just make a rectangle using tracks. Make on of the tracks and advanced rail and put the cargo manager next to it so you can auto pull the material from the cart.

clippjam

Jul 29, 2019
So, is storage and a woodcutter all you need? Is there anything that plants saplings, or will I have to do that my self?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I use a solar engine and have a coal engine as backup, but I haven't had to use the coal engine, it's just there in case I decide to use it underground. If you disable both engines and leave the cart sitting on the track for a while before you re-enable the solar engine it will build up more than enough energy in the solar engine to keep going when it's under leaves.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest compact solar, coal engine, woodcutter, cleaning, internal storage. Do not bother with a fertilizer I have a tree farm that's 50x40 with 6 separate sets of track that supplies 6 hp solid fueled boilers and 2 hp liquid fueled boilers by itself. I could probably run a couple more boilers off that tree farm but I don't know what I'd use all that power on.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Agreed, Fertilizer is a waste. My treefarm maintains around 60 saplings, and that soon overloaded me with wood, saplings and apples within an hour.
Didn't think about the cleaner, although a slim chance of it collecting anything not related to the treefarm.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
It does collect random mob drops but that's easy enough to fix. The main reason for the cleaner was that for some reason my carts were leaving saplings and apples on the ground, presumably because they don't always shave the whole tree. So I made 6 new carts, removed the fertilizers, added the cleaners, and everything has gone fine, there are no entities on the ground now so lag is minimal. Quick note... don't forget to set your compact solar engine to 1 higher than your coal engine on the little priority settings. That way the solar runs when the cart isn't under leaves and when it is under leaves the coal engine starts.

AlexUbel

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly enough Direwolf20 is doing this in his single play. Here is the link to check it out. May help you out in building your own.

Reactions: JaRyCu

legomike

Jul 29, 2019
Cargo Manager, 2 Advanced Detector Rails(1 for manger, 1 to stop cart), Solar Engine, Coal Engine, Wood Cutter, Side Chests. anything else up to you.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
you need storage, a woodcutter, a compact solar and small coal engine, and a fertilizer attachment. at least from DW20s video today XD

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Mine doesn't even have a solar engine, just a coal engine, woodcutter and a ton of storage and that's all you need, anything else is just extra.

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
You don't need a whole lot of storage space unless you let them run out of fuel. I'm speaking from experience as I've had one running for more than a week. Actually, I've had six separate tree farms running here is a pic from above.

1oqhvt.jpg

None of these use a fertilizer, they all have the cleaning machine. Also, none of them has a compact solar engine because I have a boiler room down the stairs that produces far more than enough charcoal to keep this farm going indefinitely.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Very nice. This was my first attempt at a tree farm. Happy with the results.
treefarm.jpg

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use a compact solar period. I find a coal engine works just fine and I have 4 extradimensional barrels of logs to show you lol. I just let it run off the logs it collects and it runs just dandy

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
Same, but my barrels are constantly filling and emptying because they're feeding into 6 solid and 2 liquid hp boilers. I've yet to use my stash of over 62,000 stacks of logs but I'm trying!

MonthOLDpickle

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to follow the video but I am at a loss what do I need to make to create the carts and such to start my auto tree farm?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to follow the video but I am at a loss what do I need to make to create the carts and such to start my auto tree farm?

I found the best way of finding out how they worked was to go into a creative world and play around with them. As a start I suggest you try the different hulls and engines with the tree farm attachment/module and some storage. You'll need a cargo manager and probably a cargo distributor, and an advanced detector rail. Then set up a track with dirt on each side (a circle works as a start) and set off your cart. This way you can work out the best things to add to your cart to suit your needs. Also this lets you mess with automation easily, with the cargo manager etc.