"[STDOUT] You have some mods with DRM, you must remove these to continue"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Is this possible to disable in config? That has near-unlimited griefing potential in servers, and is totally untraceable without good logs or a plugin.

I like the idea and I think it's very innovative, but I could just see someone remote-detonating someone else's base...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I'm sure it respects permission nodes and the such, like the boring machine does.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, it happened. ChromatiCraft now has "Ender TNT". Plop it down, pick a dimension and coordinate, and enjoy the explosion (the same flying-blocks explosion as is used in solenoid failure and reactor meltdown, though on a smaller scale).

@Reika, stupid question: Did you really want to post this in the good old drm drama thread?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
"wtf happened to this village?"
I now have Diet Coke all over my screen. Lovely. :D

Is this possible to disable in config? That has near-unlimited griefing potential in servers, and is totally untraceable without good logs or a plugin.

I like the idea and I think it's very innovative, but I could just see someone remote-detonating someone else's base...

It already has a config to turn it off, but I will also add a server log message so that any admin can track who caused what detonations.

@Reika, stupid question: Did you really want to post this in the good old drm drama thread?
Well, it is a response to posts here. It would also not be the first time this thread has been derailed.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
It already has a config to turn it off, but I will also add a server log message so that any admin can track who caused what detonations.

This is a good idea, I like it.

I wonder if this would respect grief prevention plugins. I suppose it would depend how the plugin was coded. Since the item is activated elsewhere, if the plugin stops interaction, I don't know if it would work. If the plugin intercepts explosion events (I think some of them may), it would stop the explosion from damaging players/blocks, so it would probably work.

I think some testing with grief prevention plugins would reveal quite a bit!

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This is a good idea, I like it.

I wonder if this would respect grief prevention plugins. I suppose it would depend how the plugin was coded. Since the item is activated elsewhere, if the plugin stops interaction, I don't know if it would work. If the plugin intercepts explosion events (I think some of them may), it would stop the explosion from damaging players/blocks, so it would probably work.

I think some testing with grief prevention plugins would reveal quite a bit!

I cannot test with them, as they require Bukkit and cannot even be loaded in a dev environment.

Also, it is my own custom explosion code, so explosion plugins will not protect against it.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You tell it where you want the explosion, and then you trigger it like normal TNT. When it explodes, so does the coordinate in that world, even if unloaded (or more amusingly, not yet generated).
nono I got that, but that's just insane. thank you for insanity.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I now have Diet Coke all over my screen. Lovely. :D

Well, it is a response to posts here. It would also not be the first time this thread has been derailed.

Normally I'm on the side of "Seriously, a pickaxe can be used to grief. You disabling those too?" But holy crap am I glad that you're making this one configurable and auto-log. I can actually see the pure unbridled and nearly untraceable griefing potential on this one. Thank you for giving us admins a config and logging! Now if only XCompWiz had an entity blacklist for mystcraft...

Yeah, maybe prevent it from being placed by non-players? If possible that is.
It is possible to prevent actions from FakePlayers (See the Applied Energistics Grindstone, and the Clockwork engine from... Forestry?), whether or not it's easy or feasible is another story.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
If the fake players are derived from a common base class (I think Forge has something like this) then it's just a matter of the "instanceof" operator.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yeah, maybe prevent it from being placed by non-players? If possible that is.

Could be very problematic to code [given the number of "block placers"] and as soon as you do that there'll be a new placer than can place it.
Design wise this breaks continuity/consistency [I can place Xblock but not Yblock?] --unless Ender TNT has some lore about who/what can place it successfully. (like the Xutils watering can being "broken" by machines)

@ljfa not every fake player is coded the same way; there's also stuff like Buildcraft's builder/filler to consider alongside the 'right click machines'

Anyway, you still need a player to set the target coords, so it'll always be traceable.

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
The first half of this thread is reallllllly drama-inducing, but somehow we're now talking about tracking who placed down a block of TNT on a server using RC.

FEED THE BEAST FORUM THREADS, EVERYONE.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So ... exactly how is dimensional TNT horrible, but normal mystcraft portals not? I've seen people drop withers through portals, there's nothing to stop a mob farm from dropping, etc.

Heck, thinking about it, what could you do with a normal nether portal and some pistons to push stuff?

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Because normal mystcraft portals are useful for something OTHER than exploding things remotely. They are the single most useful method of medium-or-larger distance transport I've yet encountered. They're nearly completely configurable as to locations, they can work intra-dimension as well as inter-dimension... They fix every single problem I've ever had with a transport system, and they don't require power (Yeah, sorry. Getting me to my friends base isn't something I think should drain my main power net, nor should it require maintenance, or drain stuff when I'm not using it... which is why I don't use Enhanced Portals).

The only issue is there's no blacklist/whitelist for entities that are allowed to travel through a portal. That's literally it.

Status
Not open for further replies.