Not open for further replies.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I have never heard of Alblaka, nor do I know who (or what) they are. Also, the RC development started several months before its first release.
Alblaka was like the spacetoad of IC2, surprised you never heard of him. He disappeared with Eloraam though, but he ain't back.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Alblaka was like the spacetoad of IC2, surprised you never heard of him. He disappeared with Eloraam though, but he ain't back.
I only got into the big mods in December of 2012, and even then I was not fond of IC2, and promptly switched from Tekkit to EE2+BuildCraft+TurretMod+DragonMounts+ComputerCraft+RedPower.
RedPower is the one exception; I have been using it since b1.8.1, soon after I joined MC.

Reactions: RedBoss

psp

Jul 29, 2019
oh. well, i didn't mean that kind.
I think you meant the kind when the noob spends 2 hours searching online on how to make this really cool bedrock armor in rotarycraft. Then he finds it and realizes he can't make it. Finally, he makes tnt and blows himself up and rages.

Reactions: YX33A

Furfurfur2001

Jul 29, 2019
Are we seriously having this drama again!? Thanks a lot, unknown mod author.

Edit: The error is because some mod author had a hissyfit and decided to not let Minecraft load if you have any of the mods in the list above installed. Those mods are not the problem; the unknown mod that stops Minecraft loading is.

Edit 2: PM me your modpack and I will look for the problem, because I hate mods that do crap like this and I think they need more bad publicity.

Edit 3: As for what DRM is, mentally replace it with "evilness". A very loaded phrase that mod authors like to throw at each other to cause drama.
Steam is DRM, and its not evil, unlike GFWL uPlay and rockstar social club

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

wolfenstein19

Jul 29, 2019
Steam is DRM, and its not evil, unlike GFWL uPlay and rockstar social club

Still people in minecraft associate DRM heavily with evil, especially because most of the time it has been brought up, it was either in conjunction with some exaggerated drama and misused as a term.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Still people in minecraft associate DRM heavily with evil, especially because most of the time it has been brought up, it was either in conjunction with some exaggerated drama and misused as a term.
Agreed. There is nothing inherently wrong, immoral, or dumb about "real" paid software, from games to utilities, using DRM to cut down piracy, though it is often implemented poorly, either being completely ineffective or causing a lot of collateral damage.

Reactions: trajing and YX33A

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, since when does BuildCraft have DRM? Half this shit looks like the programmer pulled the names right out of his arse.
There was... stuff.. that happened at one point. To my knowledge, it no longer exists. But BC, Forestry, RC, and a few others would 'check up' on each other, if installed, to ensure they they were 'legitimate' copies. If you screwed with certain parts of the code, or if you copypasted large swathes of code, it would crash you. This was a good while back and, as I've already said, to my knowledge it no longer exists.

Also, CJ and Sengir were (until Spacetoad came back) the primary developers for BC. Both of them are 'known' (and I use the quotes intentionally. Pretend I'm using air quotes) for promoting/using/encouraging 'DRM'. Which is why I mentioned the developers rather than mods and why I was surprised that BC wasn't included. Supposedly, it actually was, just poorly implemented.

Just curious... who is the mod author for this 'brilliant' idea? I'd like to know what to steer clear from.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There was... stuff.. that happened at one point. To my knowledge, it no longer exists. But BC, Forestry, RC, and a few others would 'check up' on each other, if installed, to ensure they they were 'legitimate' copies. If you screwed with certain parts of the code, or if you copypasted large swathes of code, it would crash you. This was a good while back and, as I've already said, to my knowledge it no longer exists.
The Forge annotation still does; to my knowledge, it is not used.

Also, there is nothing wrong with adding some sort of interference protection - I do this too - but crashing the game is not a good way to respond.

Just curious... who is the mod author for this 'brilliant' idea? I'd like to know what to steer clear from.
We are waiting for @Prodrone to return to tell us this. To be fair, I am not holding my breath. Even if they do not support the actions of the author, they may well fear reprisal from their admin, who not surprisingly will side with their friend.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The Forge annotation still does; to my knowledge, it is not used.

Also, there is nothing wrong with adding some sort of interference protection - I do this too - but crashing the game is not a good way to respond.
No, there's nothing wrong with interference protection, but for those people who knee jerk 'ermgherd DRM', it's one of their 'red flags'. Still, it is clearly attempting to target mod authors and the mods they create.

We are waiting for @Prodrone to return to tell us this. To be fair, I am not holding my breath. Even if they do not support the actions of the author, they may well fear reprisal from their admin, who not surprisingly will side with their friend.
Mmmm... true. I suppose I could try to do some digging and find out.

Last edited:

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019

Also, CJ and Sengir were (until Spacetoad came back) the primary developers for BC. Both of them are 'known' (and I use the quotes intentionally. Pretend I'm using air quotes) for promoting/using/encouraging 'DRM'. Which is why I mentioned the developers rather than mods and why I was surprised that BC wasn't included. Supposedly, it actually was, just poorly implemented.
The so-called DRM you are referring to (and the offending mod is probably referring to) is the ability to have mods signed and then checked to ensure that they came exactly as the mod author published them (and other stuff has not been added. (some reading material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature). The mods in question knew keys from other modders, so people could not fake a modder's identity. It was an informal web of trust in the chaotic mess that is minecraft mods.

As it stands I know that forestry* still has the code to crash if a mod is not signed correctly (i.e. a) the mod expected to be signed but was not; b) the signature that the mod said it should have was different than the one it did have; c) the signature was broken (the file has been changed since it was signed) ) but is not signed (or expects a signature).

* It is the mod I had in the pack that crashed it when I didn't sign VeinMiner correctly.

P.S. Hoping that this is more informative than inflammatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.