Status updates for private mod pack owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Ok, let me explain what's happening with the whole launching vanilla thing.
When I get your pack, either new or an update, I check the permissions, then I have to build it for the repo. The repo needs the zip file with the instance in a specific place. It also needs that images in another folder. Then it needs an xml file with all the information about the pack so that launcher can display it. So, I get all that, for 20+ packs that need to be uploaded, and upload it all to the repo. This usually adds up to a gig or more of data, so it takes some time. When it's on the repo, 2 things are done. First the repo copies the files to the other download repos. For a gig of data this takes some time, though not all that long, maybe an hour or three. But then, or maybe first, it calculates the MD5 hash of the zip and stores it on each server. I usually wait a while to upload the xml files so this process has some time to happen and the launcher hopefully doesn't try to download something that isn't there.
So here's what can go wrong. If the zip file hasn't gotten copied to the other servers yet, the launcher will try to download it, download nothing, then download the vanilla minecraft jar and just run that. Alternatively, if the zip is there, but the MD5 isn't, the launcher downloads it, but then can't validate that it is the correct file and doesn't unzip it. Then same as above it downloads vanilla and runs that. Both these problems are solved by just waiting for the repo to catch up.
I have extended the upload period to end friday(see above post) for exactly this reason. I will try to do some more thorough checking to make sure both the zip and MD5 are in the right places before updating the xml and letting the launcher update each pack.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Yep, spilling over to tomorrow. Might even be saturday for some packs. We set a record for most new pack submissions, 23, and pack updates, 14. Well over 100 packs now.
If you have new pack submission and I have not responded to your pm saying something is wrong with it, that means it has been accepted and I haven't had time to respond yet. It should go up in the next day or so with the updates.

Reactions: JargonTheRed

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Looks like 1.5 gigs of packs takes longer than a few hours to cache. As soon as the packs are up, I will push the xml's to make them public. Probably early tomorrow afternoon.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
All the packs are up. If I haven't contacted you about a pack you submitted before Thursday, I missed your message somehow.

Reactions: Ashzification

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I am still working on getting packs up. I had a project due Friday that took me longer than I had expected and didn't have time to finish the updates. They should be going up later today.

On that note, I have a similar project due next Friday. Any updates submitted before Wednesday next week will go up Wednesday. Any updates submitted after that will go up sometime between Thursday and Saturday, depending on how the project goes. Thank you all for your patience.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Pack updates should be live, but I have not had time to check them. If your pack is not working, I will find and fix it tomorrow. I will also message the new pack authors tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just letting everyone know I am hard at work on pack updates. 15 new pack submissions to go through, so it's taking a bit. I should hopefully have most stuff up tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I had a test this morning and ended up spending most of yesterday studying for it. So I didn't have time to work on updates till this afternoon. I'm almost done now and will upload them overnight. They should go live about midday tomorrow, or later today depending on your timezone. Sorry for the delays.

I don't have anything next week, so it should be smoother.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Packs should be updated. I will test them and send out confirmations tomorrow. New packs as well.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just an update for the new pack owners.
While I do my best to get updates up on Thursday, life often intervenes and I don't get them done on Thursday. So everything spills over into Friday.
Read the post a ways up about uploads and caching. Sometimes even if I get them up Friday, they aren't available till Saturday.
Unfortunately this is just the way it is. Be patient and hope the new launcher comes out soon.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just so it's official. Due to the new way of launching minecraft, the current launcher does not support 1.6 packs. The new launcher should be coming out sometime.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Looks like I jumped the gun a bit getting the xml files up last night. Most of the MD5's did not generate properly. I am working on sorting them out and will message each pack author when I confirm it is working. Sorry for the inconvenience.

See this post if you don't know what I am talking about.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I tried a few fixes, but they didn't work. The people who know say that means it something on the repo and we need the creeperhost guy to look at it. His timezone is asleep right now, so that means it will be something like 10 hours from right now. I will be asleep then, so while things might suddenly start working overnight, I will check everything and message people tomorrow(eastern time).

Edit: This does also apply to all the 11 new packs, so if you are one of those and message me, I will just direct you to this message.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Turns out it was a sync issue instead of a problem with generating the MD5's. From what I heard, the servers in the US did not get updated properly with the MD5's. So if you go to options, advanced options, and select one of the england servers, it should work. I am testing all the packs now and will send out confirmations over the next few hours.

There appear to be a few packs not working for other reasons, I am looking into them, you don't have to message me if your pack still doesn't work.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Almost all of the packs are working and I have sent a message to their authors.

There are just a few that something else was wrong. I have uploaded the fixes, but they need to cache a bit longer before I can test them. I will send those confirmation messages tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
All packs are up. I'll finish testing and send out the confirmation messages tomorrow.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Pack files are up, but need to cache. I'll try to get the xml's up tomorrow morning early, but it may not be till early afternoon.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Just a public service announcement.
The launcher takes the current version number strips the periods out and turns it into a number, then it takes the current recommended version, does the same thing, and compares the two. Version 1.0.1 goes to 101 and 1.1 goes to 11, so 1.0.1 is above 1.1. So if you update your pack with such versions numbers, the launcher won't ask the user if they want to update. You can still force update or select the version from the dropdown.

EDIT: This is fixed in newer launcher versions.

Last edited:

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Packs pushed. Will send out confirmations tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.