So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
Except that this is total nonsense and the voltage regulators, fuses in the power supply, and internal resistance of the battery will generally just require you replace the power supply at worst. Modern computers are designed to work with current from your wall, and there is a pretty significant amount of work those power sources can do...

You'd need a pretty impressive power source and/or brutal misapplication (e.g., wiring onto the board) to do it. A battbox is not exactly an ultracapacitor...

No. IC2's rules have never been realistic. That's fine, its a game. But now they're more unrealistic and deliberately designed to penalize you. And I suspect they know this, so they're trying the whole "now with more ore per block!" To try and draw people in.

I actually feel really bummed out this week about 1.6. I do not like most of what I'm seeing and I see very little that is actually new. I've barely been able to log into Minecraft its such a bummer.

At this point I'm just awaiting the magical replacements to the tech mods.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
At this point I'm just awaiting the magical replacements to the tech mods.

There is one tech mod that could be exciting... Well a few. Electrodynamics has a ton of promise if its team can execute. The resurgence of Logistics Pipes is totally great, but I'm surprised they aren't 1.6 yet. Emasher's work for 1.6 sounds amazing, and I'm hoping he pulls through the difficulty and releases.

Reactions: Pokefenn

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019
There is one tech mod that could be exciting... Well a few. Electrodynamics has a ton of promise if its team can execute. The resurgence of Logistics Pipes is totally great, but I'm surprised they aren't 1.6 yet. Emasher's work for 1.6 sounds amazing, and I'm hoping he pulls through the difficulty and releases.

I was excited for electrodynamics until I saw that their change-log hasn't been updated for 30 days :p but it is summer after all. Also we need someone to redo their armor textures.

1.5 feels like it will stick around for a good month or so yet, there isn't a great deal of motivation to move on towards 1.6, and packs probably wont form until more mods including thaumcraft are updated. Also the work for AM2 is exciting so far, I'm hoping to see it added to a main pack in the near future.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
The impending growth of buried potential with EDX just makes me squee. :D :D :D

Very much a industrial tech approach but you have a LOT more direct interaction with machinery as opposed to walking up to a machine and doing all your work in a GUI. Basically, think placing a block of ore on a multiblock's conveyor belt, it trundles along through the furnace, then comes out cooked into ingots on the other side like a conveyor pizza oven. Neat concepts abound in EDX and I'm holding much hope for the potential of the mod. Considering the qualifications of some of the dev team though, the best tricks might not even be announced yet!

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
GregoriusT might be a 'good' programmer but he's a terrible game designer. For some weird ass reason he has the idea that "realism = fun" is a hard law, while playing games that take you away from the realism of your daily lives. What sandbox games do, just like a real sandbox, is letting you build stuff without the tediousness of real life stuff like the laws of physics and time constraints getting into the way. He's adding back time constraints and tediousness back into the game. I mean, IRL you need a saw and a lot of time to create planks from a log, but isn't the whole idea behind minecraft that these time constraints just hinder creativity?

In games like shooters they add "realism" because it increases immersion. But adding realism to a blocky cartoony voxel game where blocks can float actually breaks immersion and stifles gameplay because it takes away the creativity and turns it into a struggle against time to get the stuff you want.

Bottomline: realism sucks ;)

I'm sure Terrafirmacraft would disagree with that bottom line. And really, I've always said that GT was headed toward the industrial version of that. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing. Try to remember that people do pay to get tied up and whipped. Certainly not everyone is going to enjoy it, but it wouldn't be a thing if at least a few people didn't.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure Terrafirmacraft would disagree with that bottom line.

I'm stating my opinion. I don't really care if TFC disagrees because IMHO that mod is way too tedious too. And we're not talking about GregTech here, we're talking about what Greg is doing to IC2.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
we're talking about what Greg is doing to IC2.

Basically nothing other than bugfixes & API, so no big deal. Unless he somehow manages to make an API tedious... But then only IC2 developers would ever see that.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Could you stop giving merit to the idea that GregT's designs in any way reflect realism? It's starting to get really old.

Yeah, one of my dreams is visiting greg, handing him a hammer, a plate, a stick, two iron ignots and a screwdriver and hitting him across the head with a rubber chicken repeatedly until he builds a sword out of it.

Realism my ass.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, one of my dreams is visiting greg, handing him a hammer, a plate, a stick, two iron ignots and a screwdriver and hitting him across the head with a rubber chicken repeatedly until he builds a sword out of it.

Realism my ass.

That just made me laugh :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019

Realism my ass.

This post made this entire 12 pages so worth the read :)

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough. I find it boring. Not boring in the sense that it takes more time, but boring in that it's just some more silver blocks that introduce nothing new.

Take Blood Magic for an example if you want genuinely novel and useful content and mechanics.
Then does this change your opinion on IC2? Or do you find it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.