So rumors are GregT is now an IC2 dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
What are everyones opinions on this?
I think it's pretty great, because we'll be finally getting some brand new IC2 content :D greg can make some pretty cool stuff :p as long as said things aren't insanely hard to make

Also, this isn't a Gregtech thread, so please don't lock it ._.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
It's good to see that the IC2 devs are willing to bring on a new guy now that it is clear they have run out of ideas and steam. However, lord knows what GregT has in store for IC2. I fear it's already too late for Industrialcraft, though, it's been outclassed in just about every way by better and more interesting mods. RIP I guess?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Greg isn't there to add new content. He's there to perform bugfixes. In greg's own words "That's what the addon is for"
Sounds reasonable then. I won't lie, just reading the topic title had me worried. I used to love GT back in the 1.4.7 days, but now...

But regardless of my opinions of Greg himself, I expect he would do a good job cleaning up the IC2 code. I wouldn't mind a few of his machines being added in too, but I know better than to expect that.

Reactions: Lord Wumbo

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
If Greg just provided bugfixes, or provided updates to make the machines on par with Thermal Expansion (or even just graphical updates! IC2's machines need a graphical update - they've been like that since late Alpha, iirc) I wouldn't mind that.

Like SonOfABirch said, the ADDON is to make things harder - vanilla IC2 should be on par with the rest of FTB (Unleashed).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Quite a few of the changes made in GT to the default machines I think would be excellent to incorporate into the base IC2. For starters, the pass-thru power and auto ejecting into an inventory, not to mention the upgrades (mainly the MJ and steam upgrades) and crop harvesters. It makes the basic IC2 machines and features much more viable in multi-modded minecraft. Let's face it, RichardG has been known to do some pretty juvenile stuff from time to time, but he is also a pretty awesome coder. GregoriousT I hold in a similar view. The IC2 team could do far worse than GregT for bringing onto the team. It will be interesting (and maybe entertaining) to see the future of IC2 with GregoriousT directly involved.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
If Greg just provided bugfixes, or provided updates to make the machines on par with Thermal Expansion (or even just graphical updates! IC2's machines need a graphical update - they've been like that since late Alpha, iirc) I wouldn't mind that.

Like SonOfABirch said, the ADDON is to make things harder - vanilla IC2 should be on par with the rest of FTB (Unleashed).

o_O Greg is not a texture artist... at all... his textures are worse than IC2's

and no, IC2 should not take ANY content from Gregtech. Let Gregtech be it's own mod, let it stay as an addon, and let's NOT have it integrate itself into base IC2. That way, the people who want to masochistically grind can download the addon, and people who wouldn't trust greg as far as they could throw him, can enjoy IC2 without his assinine bullcrap.

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
o_O Greg is not a texture artist... at all... his textures are worse than IC2's

and no, IC2 should not take ANY content from Gregtech. Let Gregtech be it's own mod, let it stay as an addon, and let's NOT have it integrate itself into base IC2. That way, the people who want to masochistically grind can download the addon, and people who wouldn't trust greg as far as they could throw him, can enjoy IC2 without his assinine bullcrap.

Eh, I wouldn't know about the graphics.. I never play with GT on.

By "on par with Thermal Expansion", I didn't mean add GregTech-esque machines that increase both difficulty and productivity, but just increasing productivity while having cost around Thermal Expansion's level.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
GregoriousT has a lot of good ideas and they are implemented well in GregTech both from a gameplay perspective and a coding perspective. What I can see this doing for IC2 would be improving base IC2. There are several bugs which have been around since forever, GregT has fixes for them that were only available if you ran his mod which I understand some people don't want to and his unifier code is something I sincerely miss in a heavily modded environment (my most recent mod loadout doesn't include IC2 or any addons, just to change my gameplay up a bit) that alone if incorporated into IC2 would be a great addition. If base IC2 gained some of the other cross compatibilities which are present in GregTech I can't see that being a bad thing either.

Basically I couldn't see this being a bad thing for IC2.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Because a person you don't like helped update it to 1.6 you're throwing the mod away? Sounds completely reasonable.
Opinions vary.
I don't have to like the guy. I personally don't know him. I don't care for his past actions and his activity in a mod I had all but ignored anyway are enough for my personal decision. Play your game the way you want.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with RedBoss on this, but to be fair, I quit using IC2 after the first time I used Thermal Expansion.
The only machine from IC2 that was any use to me was the macerator, which is covered by TE using the same power source a all the other machines I use, use.
Yes he might only be doing bug fixes, for now, but is that all he will ever do? Will he eventually start fixing what he perceives as a "bug" and start nurfing stuff?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
If Greg ends up taking any major role in IC2 design, I'll probably drop the mod like a sack of bricks. IC2 may have a special place in my heart for being one of the first tech mods, but I can definitely live without it if it ends up being unplayable.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Greg isn't there to add new content. He's there to perform bugfixes. In greg's own words "That's what the addon is for"

I agree with this.

Just because he has been added to the team doesn't allow him to go nuts and add what he wishes. I'm sure either Alblaka/Player or a vote from the other guys is needed for something is added into IC2.

That's my opinion anyway. Not saying other people are wrong ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.