Silk touch on a Axe?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you can't silk touch ice. This was nerfed a while ago because ice can be placed in the nether to make water blocks when melted.
You actually can silk touch it again. They however removed ice bocks melting into water sources in the nether.
I have stopped using water buckets in favor of ice for the most part (caving being an exception) in vanilla

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Gone though. But the technique has returned in spades. TE liquids in 1.5.1 are stable in the nether in 1.5.1 and, for the fun of it, quench lava and damage blazes. Way of Time is setting up a blaze liquid xp farm on his youtube series.
In meantime there was always oil. However in upcoming update I wouldn't recommend using it in nether.

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019
there is no use. no blocks can only be obtained by an axe. that means you could use other silk touch tools to do what you can do on a silk touch axe. maybe the only advatage is faster.

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
Similarly, Fortune on an axe is just as useless I believe, if not even more so. It might increase your chances of getting a sapling when using it to break leaves (on vanilla trees at least), but I haven't seen evidence to support that anywhere. Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd go with Silk Touch, just so I can pick up bookshelves and get leaf blocks without having to use shears (which have terrible durability).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the first (and only) shovel I ever enchanted with level 30 instantly got Fortune 3 on it. Sooo awesome right? :confused:

But then again, the enchanting table in that world is actively trolling me and my mate anyway. Ever gotten only a single enchant from a level 30 try? This one managed. On a pickaxe of the core, no less, which has almost as good enchantability as gold. But noo, we got Efficiency III and nothing else.

Or Feather Fall IV on a book.
Or not a single appearance of Repair, ever, not once in the entire history of the world.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I used to think of that as overpowered, but after being trolled so hard for so long even I am starting to question my stance on this :mad: It's just ridiculous.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you can't silk touch ice. This was nerfed a while ago because ice can be placed in the nether to make water blocks when melted.
You playing on a super-old version or something? They fixed silk touch on ice (which was actually a glitch, mind you) in like 1.3-1.4 or even 1.2, and they fixed water in the nether by simply making it evaporate.

simon48xbox

Jul 29, 2019
Can't you just use bucket of oil in the nether? I'm pretty sure it will make obsidian and not evaporate.

Blorog1

Jul 29, 2019
Similarly, Fortune on an axe is just as useless I believe, if not even more so. It might increase your chances of getting a sapling when using it to break leaves (on vanilla trees at least), but I haven't seen evidence to support that anywhere. Personally, if I had to choose between the two I'd go with Silk Touch, just so I can pick up bookshelves and get leaf blocks without having to use shears (which have terrible durability).
It actually increases the amount of mushrooms you get from the giant ones.

Jay Cee

Jul 29, 2019
True lol, was planning on doing something similar (but with XY ice), just hoped I could get it sooner ROFL. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

I just imagined you getting ice in the nether then rolling on the floor laughing gleefully while the nether gets destroyed.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019

From what I heard, in 1.4, they added it back in, with the complication that Ice in the Nether, when it melts, just evaporates and doesn't leave Water.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
I think that should be moved to the sawmill instead. xD
Reminds me of a discussion I had with someone in my woodshop class where it looked like the teacher was about to cut an apple on a bandsaw...

Would've been hilarious, in hindsight.

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
It actually increases the amount of mushrooms you get from the giant ones.

Oh right, I forgot about giant mushrooms. At least it has SOME use then, even if mushrooms are not really useful for much.

Silk touch axes are useful for glowstone. Otherwise, I'd just treat it as a normal axe.

Shears. :)

I don't know exactly what the reason is, but shears only take durability damage when used on things they are meant to be used on. In other words, leaves and shearing sheep pretty much. That means you can use silk touch shears on glass and glowstone (since both break easily) and the shears will never take damage. Add Efficiency IV/V on them as well, and they'll be as fast as a pickaxe. Some may find this a bit cheaty though.