1. Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Silk touch on a Axe?

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Torigoma, May 13, 2013.

1. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

So I just got Silk touch on a Axe. That's all fine and dandy, but I've no idea what I should use it one. Anyone know?

2. Grydian2

Grydian2 New Member

I use it on melons to make sure I get a whole melon and then put them into the pulveriser to get the most out of my melons

Chocorate and ILoveGregTech like this.
  3. Whovian

Whovian New Member

Wood. Then you get Wood instead of Wood!

I really don't know, I think it's pretty much useless. Although, I have a question. If you have a Fiery Pick and enchant it with Silk Touch ...

EDIT: Oh, Melons! Thought it was Swords you used for those, but eh, it works!

4. Mash

Mash New Member

Basically anything that you can break with an axe that you want to preserve, I think.

They may have changed this, but can you still use say, silk touch on an axe to harvest grass?

Maybe that only worked with a pickaxe, though. I dunno.

5. lolpierandom

lolpierandom New Member

Melons, leaves, grass, ice (pretty sure), giant mushroom blocks and probably some modded worldgen are all I can think of off the top of my head.

6. Whovian

Whovian New Member

^^I thought that was Shears.

EDIT: I was replying to Mash's post, not lolpierandom's.

7. lolpierandom

lolpierandom New Member

Silk touch works on all full blocks that aren't meant to be unobtainable and don't require a special tool like a pickaxe, as far as I know.

I say full blocks because I'm 99% sure that you can't use silk touch to get tall grass or vines, that's what shears are needed for.

As for the ice, it's actually kind of useless as the glacial precipritator is an easy way to get ice in FTB.

8. Whovian

Whovian New Member

Eh, I was replying to Mash's, not yours. Bleedin' ninjas.

9. the_j485

the_j485 King of the Wicked

I don't think you can enchant them.

10. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

Hummm, so all in all, it would be more of a utility tool to move things around rather than a Axe to get what I want? K, thanks!

11. Pandemoneus

Pandemoneus New Member

Well, you can use that silk touch to get the corner blocks of Fir and Redwood trees. Other than that I see no use for it.

12. the_j485

Also, you can't silk touch ice. This was nerfed a while ago because ice can be placed in the nether to make water blocks when melted.

13. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

Darn! lol, I was going to just that to, I need some ice for a few different things, thought it would be a easy way to get it ROFL.

14. the_j485

Just use a glacial precipitator, easy enough with an aqueous accumulator

15. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

True lol, was planning on doing something similar (but with XY ice), just hoped I could get it sooner ROFL. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

16. the_j485

No problem, this is really what the forums were meant for, helping and showcasing.

17. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

On a Second note, Does Silk touch not work with Wands of Excavation?

18. Grydian2

Grydian2 New Member

a silk touch axe also lets you move bookshelves without them being destroyed into books.

JPandaGamer and Fuzzlewhumper like this.
  19. Torigoma

Torigoma New Member

OH!! I never thought of that! that could be very useful!

20. KirinDave

KirinDave New Member

Gone though. But the technique has returned in spades. TE liquids in 1.5.1 are stable in the nether in 1.5.1 and, for the fun of it, quench lava and damage blazes. Way of Time is setting up a blaze liquid xp farm on his youtube series.