Silk touch on a Axe?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
So I just got Silk touch on a Axe. That's all fine and dandy, but I've no idea what I should use it one. Anyone know?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Wood. Then you get Wood instead of Wood!

I really don't know, I think it's pretty much useless. Although, I have a question. If you have a Fiery Pick and enchant it with Silk Touch ...

EDIT: Oh, Melons! Thought it was Swords you used for those, but eh, it works!

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Basically anything that you can break with an axe that you want to preserve, I think.

They may have changed this, but can you still use say, silk touch on an axe to harvest grass?

Maybe that only worked with a pickaxe, though. I dunno.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Basically anything that you can break with an axe that you want to preserve, I think.

They may have changed this, but can you still use say, silk touch on an axe to harvest grass?

Maybe that only worked with a pickaxe, though. I dunno.

Melons, leaves, grass, ice (pretty sure), giant mushroom blocks and probably some modded worldgen are all I can think of off the top of my head.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
^^I thought that was Shears.

EDIT: I was replying to Mash's post, not lolpierandom's.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
^^I thought that was Shears.

Silk touch works on all full blocks that aren't meant to be unobtainable and don't require a special tool like a pickaxe, as far as I know.

I say full blocks because I'm 99% sure that you can't use silk touch to get tall grass or vines, that's what shears are needed for.

As for the ice, it's actually kind of useless as the glacial precipritator is an easy way to get ice in FTB.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Wood. Then you get Wood instead of Wood!

I really don't know, I think it's pretty much useless. Although, I have a question. If you have a Fiery Pick and enchant it with Silk Touch ...

EDIT: Oh, Melons! Thought it was Swords you used for those, but eh, it works!
I don't think you can enchant them.

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
Hummm, so all in all, it would be more of a utility tool to move things around rather than a Axe to get what I want? K, thanks!

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you can use that silk touch to get the corner blocks of Fir and Redwood trees. Other than that I see no use for it.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Also, you can't silk touch ice. This was nerfed a while ago because ice can be placed in the nether to make water blocks when melted.

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
Also, you can't silk touch ice. This was nerfed a while ago because ice can be placed in the nether to make water blocks when melted.
Darn! lol, I was going to just that to, I need some ice for a few different things, thought it would be a easy way to get it ROFL.

Torigoma

Jul 29, 2019
Just use a glacial precipitator, easy enough with an aqueous accumulator
True lol, was planning on doing something similar (but with XY ice), just hoped I could get it sooner ROFL. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Gone though. But the technique has returned in spades. TE liquids in 1.5.1 are stable in the nether in 1.5.1 and, for the fun of it, quench lava and damage blazes. Way of Time is setting up a blaze liquid xp farm on his youtube series.