Share Your Tinker's Construct Tools!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys.

snooder:
- Regarding Lapis -- yeah you're right, I will probably not fortune the hammer, I'll just save that for a good pick or use the vanilla diamond pick with enchants.
- Electric doesn't seem too useful for my very "early game" where I literally have no power source.

mk16:
- What is "bad" about stone? I had a basic stone + obsidian hammer in another server and it worked well. Not real fast, but redstone will help. And it is so easy to repair with stone... I could even skip the moss balls because who cares if it doesn't regen? Shove more stone in it!

the ultimate stone hammer is as follows:
stone or flint head (flint for a small but still noticeable extra speed bonus)
stone or flint plate x2 (flint prefered again)
cactus handle (for the spiny effect)
wear it down til it only has a few HP left, then add electric.
stonebound will make it plenty fast, and with spiny on it it will have a fair bit of extra undead ownage on it as well.
I often add silky to it because cobble is usually free in the extruder anyway, so why not get free smoothstone instead? also coal ore. you may want to use coal ore to train up your fortune pick later on.
This hammer works pretty good for manual quarries, and it works as a decent undead smasher as well thanks to the built in smite effect.
In fact. your next quarry toy is likely to be a BC quarry or a turtle quarry at any rate, so you probably won't be making any more hammers after this unless you need something extra for mass mining in the nether. I usually go for steel if i plan to do that. it's faster, and it can mine all nether ores as well. no need to bring my ultra precious max fortune pick into harms way when i can just silk touch anything in range, then fortune it at my leisure at my base later.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently am satisfied with mediocrity as I found my stone hammer to be plenty fast without redstone. I guess in my mind I'm rationalizing it as "OK that wasn't real fast to break, but it broke NINE blocks!"

Also, helpful tidbit for anyone espousing Iron as a material: with the recipe of 4xCoal+1xIron=2xSteel, Iron is really never worth using on a tool.

i, i didnt know the coal+iron thing

leaves to make butt loads of steel

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
i, i didnt know the coal+iron thing

it's a recipe from one of the other mods included in the unleashed pack, so don't expect to encounter it everywhere.
But it's one of those things that makes steel a bit too strong compared to other materials atm. altho, even if you only had Railcraft steel to lean on it still would be a better choice than alumite from an availability standpoint, unless you are just lousy with aluminum.
with slime trees and deserts filled with fire flowers (from thaumcraft), all you really need from the nether to make blast furnaces is netherrack, while alumite otoh requires both iron and obsidian to be added to the mix for every batch made.

Also. in the latest versions of unleashed. farm slime trees for green slime. there is no excuse for not having a 2x HP modifier on the handle unless you are planning on going electric on the tool anyway. (electric + stonebound/spiny and depleted durability = massive speed/damage boost)

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Nice ideas on these tools.

Im trying to put together a bow and a sword that are reasonably easy to fix. I have PLENTY of overworld resources thanks to my quarries, but very little from the nether, as mining in there is a pain. I spend more time dodging ghast fireballs than mining stuff. Plus the server im on doesnt allow quarries in the nether. I have no issues mining nether quartz over a few days for a 1 time project. but having to return over and over to fight for the other ores wont work for me.

I currently have a steel broadsword with "some" quartz on it, but it doesnt hit stuff hard enough.
So with that said - whats a good non-nether-ore Weapon and bow to build?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Nice ideas on these tools.

Im trying to put together a bow and a sword that are reasonably easy to fix. I have PLENTY of overworld resources thanks to my quarries, but very little from the nether, as mining in there is a pain. I spend more time dodging ghast fireballs than mining stuff. Plus the server im on doesnt allow quarries in the nether. I have no issues mining nether quartz over a few days for a 1 time project. but having to return over and over to fight for the other ores wont work for me.

I currently have a steel broadsword with "some" quartz on it, but it doesnt hit stuff hard enough.
So with that said - whats a good non-nether-ore Weapon and bow to build?

Does your server ban IC2 Miners? Unless something has changed in the more recent versions IC2 miners are able to gather Ardite and Cobalt along with all other nether ores. This will also not aggro pigmen and explode nether ores (if you have the mod on).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I have a question about the weapons. Does the handle modifier affect the base damage of the weapon? I am in the process of building my 1st cleaver and want it to have looting, electric & as much damage as possible. Any ideas?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question about the weapons. Does the handle modifier affect the base damage of the weapon? I am in the process of building my 1st cleaver and want it to have looting, electric & as much damage as possible. Any ideas?

It doesn't have any effect. I may be wrong, though, as I'm used to T1 tools and not T2 weapons.

The blade determines the damage.

The binding determines... something?

The plate determines something else.

The handle determines the durability.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have any effect. I may be wrong, though, as I'm used to T1 tools and not T2 weapons.

The blade determines the damage.

The binding determines... something?

The plate determines something else.

The handle determines the durability.

The blade determines mining level and repair material type.
The binding and handguards (for weapons) allows you to add special properties like paper/stone/cactus without penalty because it has no effect on anything at all as far as tool speed,durability, damage and mining level is concerned.

The plate affects durability,mining speed and damage, but not mining level, nor repair material type.

The handle adds the durability multiplier, altho note this. if the tool has 2 handles, it always seems to take the highest bonus into account. altho this might change soon.

This means, that some tools have room for an extra buff slot without any penalty, and some even can get 2 extra buff slots without penalty (scythe).
I think this was done to balance out the fact that some tools, like the hammer for instance. has several built in buffs. (knockback, smite and AOE mining for the hammer)
thus a picaxe is not entirely obsoleted by a hammer since it can carry one extra buff for "Free" compared to the hammer without compromising mining speed.
all of the sword class weapons have a handguard on them, thus they act like a binding and allows pure weapons to carry more buffs than a weaponized tool. altho the schythe at present at least get one extra buff to help counter it's anemic base damage. (altho the AOE attack is very nice)

A weaponized schythe should always have looting on it tho, since it's primary use would likely be to kill loads of mobs at once in a manual mob grinder.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So for a maxed cleaver you would use the following?
  • blade - many
  • thaum or paper for the rest of weapon to add modifiers
  • add luck/looting
  • add electric (I don't want to repair this thing)
  • max remaining with quartz for damage

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
So for a maxed cleaver you would use the following?
  • blade - many
  • thaum or paper for the rest of weapon to add modifiers
  • add luck/looting
  • add electric (I don't want to repair this thing)
  • max remaining with quartz for damage

No. you need many for the plate as well, otherwise you probably loose more damage than you gain from using paper or thaumium in the plate. I havent tested recently, but iirc you can't get 6 buff slots on it without also making the blade itself thaum/paper.
the first thaum gives one slot, then you don't get another until you have 3 thaum parts. so by using 1 thaum, and one paper you get 2 slots from 2 parts. but no slot from making the plate thaum or paper.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm
i put a battery on my pic and charged it up, its not losing any power or durability.
anyone else have this problem?
unleashed 1.1.3

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm
i put a battery on my pic and charged it up, its not losing any power or durability.
anyone else have this problem?
unleashed 1.1.3

known issue. it's a bug that i think might be fixed in the newer versions already. I never use the electric upgrade myself. i prefer to just add moss, or repair it. it's not that expensive to repair tools, and with green slime buffing the durability in addition to doing reinforced, you can break a LOT of blocks before the tool need any fixing.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
No. you need many for the plate as well, otherwise you probably loose more damage than you gain from using paper or thaumium in the plate. I havent tested recently, but iirc you can't get 6 buff slots on it without also making the blade itself thaum/paper.
the first thaum gives one slot, then you don't get another until you have 3 thaum parts. so by using 1 thaum, and one paper you get 2 slots from 2 parts. but no slot from making the plate thaum or paper.

Yep. I found that out doing an experiment in creative. Basically this what I ended up with:

Cleaver blade: many
plate: many
tough tool rods: paper and thaum

Modifiers:
gold block + diamond: extra mod slot
battery + circuit: for electric
lapis: maxed to looting 3
quartz: maxed

I wound up wit a base of 8.5 hearts damage. Will one shot creepers, spiders & skellies that don't have armor. Overall I'm quite pleased. Killing 3 enderman netted me 12 pearls.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. I found that out doing an experiment in creative. Basically this what I ended up with:

Cleaver blade: many
plate: many
tough tool rods: paper and thaum

Modifiers:
gold block + diamond: extra mod slot
battery + circuit: for electric
lapis: maxed to looting 3
quartz: maxed

I wound up wit a base of 8.5 hearts damage. Will one shot creepers, spiders & skellies that don't have armor. Overall I'm quite pleased. Killing 3 enderman netted me 12 pearls.

8,5 hearts base is really good dps. and looting is just goodly. I dunno about trading some damage potential for electric, but meh. not having to repair it is worth quite a bit. I often go with moss myself tho, because weapons like these aren't used constantly anyhow, and the regen is not all that bad tbh. if we had the new ars magica in the pack we could have used one of those magic devices from that mod to do repairs i think. saw them repair vanilla armor items in it in the DW20 forgecraft 2 series. I am assuming that the mod dev is intending that just about anything can be repaired in it.

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
I usually go for cobalt as the head for most things, for example:

Pickaxe:
Cobalt head
Paper Binding (For now)
Manananananahamamah rod

Redstone.
Lapis.
Emerald.
For now :D

Hammer:

Cobalt axe head.
Paper plate.
Manymanananhaswag plate.
Mananannahaswag rod.

Also want to leave some pictures to you all.

"SoonTm"

Attachments

• vinium_binding.png
    vinium_binding.png
    380 bytes · Views: 77
  • vinium_excavator_head.png
    vinium_excavator_head.png
    537 bytes · Views: 71
  • vinium_large_sword_blade.png
    vinium_large_sword_blade.png
    220 bytes · Views: 61
Reactions: PeggleFrank

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Because the more damage your tool has taken, the faster it goes. Increasing the max durability boosts your maximum potential speed.

Now that is a mechanic that has grind written all over it. in capitals no less.
seriously tho, it just means that you could use stonebound and slime to get a decently fast pick early game without even having the smeltery yet. once you have worn down those 3000 durability. using it to punch zombies help wear it down faster iirc. 2 dur damage per hit or something, but more importantly. you can hit faster, and thus wear it down faster that way.

Strill

Jul 29, 2019
I've been doing some testing on hammers, and I've determined that the fastest hammer is a full-Ardite electric hammer. Mine has 3 redstone upgrades, a lapis upgrade, and electric, and it's at 35.18 mining speed.

Now that is a mechanic that has grind written all over it. in capitals no less.
seriously tho, it just means that you could use stonebound and slime to get a decently fast pick early game without even having the smeltery yet. once you have worn down those 3000 durability. using it to punch zombies help wear it down faster iirc. 2 dur damage per hit or something, but more importantly. you can hit faster, and thus wear it down faster that way.

No, the durability scaling has diminishing returns. Logarithmic returns specifically. Also multiple pieces with stonebound stack. Two pieces with stonebound gives you twice the bonus.