Share Your Tinker's Construct Tools!

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Mine don't discharge. Last I tried was with whatever version shipped with Unleashed 1.1.2. Was this fixed? I thought it was going to be, but not in 1.1.3.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Am I the only one partial to the Longsword over the Rapier? Or am I missing some hidden benefit to the Rapier. Other than hopping backwards off a cliff, surviving with half a heart and then dying because the creeper I was running from landed on my head?

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one partial to the Longsword over the Rapier? Or am I missing some hidden benefit to the Rapier. Other than hopping backwards off a cliff, surviving with half a heart and then dying because the creeper I was running from landed on my head?

I'm a longsword user as well...nothing like a running leap to charge overtop of those precarious caverns :D

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
The rapier has an armor penetration thing. Not sure if this matters for mobs, but it's handy when you feel the need to poke players ;) (oh, you think that nano armor protects you, eh?)

It also strikes absurdly fast. You can 'juggle' creepers to death in short order.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, I tend to have my Hammer be Cobalt head and plates with one Moss and the rest Redstone, simply because I use it to mine out shafts. When I run across something I want to Fortune, I pull out my pick.

Mekanism has given me a very powerful reason to not simply use auto-smelt + fortune... I already can get triple ore production out of my ores with the right setup (and a supply of flint from my rock crusher). I simply don't need auto-smelt.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a longsword user as well...nothing like a running leap to charge overtop of those precarious caverns :D

Same here. Longsword all the way. altho the cutlass is also good if you find the pattern for the full guard. no leap strike, but extra damage and it's got the block feature.
the best thing about the longsword is the leap strike tho. that strike is so useful that it is almost op. that extra leaping distance is just screaming parkour to me. not to mention being able to crit + knockback creepers all day long without having to do the run-jump-strike combo. even works on nitro creepers every once in a while (true story bro. i can do it one out of 3 at least)
thing is, with an unmodified steel sword i can 2 hit kill creepers. putting lots of netherquarts on that makes it a one shotter on anything not armored to the gills. (creepers and spiders)
a sword is for living mobs tho. for anything undead i use a hammer. mining tool and bonesmasher all in one. what's not to like right? I tend towards steel for this one too nowadays. iron is so cheap and with the two for one steel recipe in unleashed steel is even cheaper. there is never a lack of it when mining hammer's slammers style.
XP grinder tool of choice is a stone or steel scythe loaded up on quarts. the grim reaper cometh for all the bad boys and girls. altho xp grinding is more or less a thing of the past for me nowadays. i only ever try to enchant armor for the most part. the scythe is used for harvesting leaves as well. I am thinking about putting silky or fortune on one and see what happens.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019

The rapier used to not have a cooldown on how fast you could attack. You could literally attack as fast as you could click, regardless of the animation. That's been fixed but some people still stick to it.
Also, I tend to have my Hammer be Cobalt head and plates with one Moss and the rest Redstone, simply because I use it to mine out shafts. When I run across something I want to Fortune, I pull out my pick.

Mekanism has given me a very powerful reason to not simply use auto-smelt + fortune... I already can get triple ore production out of my ores with the right setup (and a supply of flint from my rock crusher). I simply don't need auto-smelt.
The only reason my hammer has smelting is for mining netherrack.. easiest way for me to get experience, and also it's rather handy for making infernal bricks.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean "find the pattern?" Isn't it in the tracing table?

nope. that particular pattern is only found as loot in villages. it is a very common item tho, so if you find a tinkerer house in a village, then it will probably be in the pattern chest there.

LIMachi_

Jul 29, 2019
here are my picks:

Pickaxe: (3 versions: Fast,Smelter,Silky)
-Cobalt pickaxe head
-Paper binding
-Thaumium rod (Tinker Thaumaturge mod)

Durability: 1039
Mining Speed: 11
Mining Level: Cobalt
Modifiers: 5
Thaumic
Writable
Reinforced II

Modifiers: (3 base+1 writable+1 thaumic+2extra modifiers)
-Lava (Smelter)
-Silk touch (Silky)
-Lapis (Smelter,Fast)
-Electric (I use these tools with my power suit)
-Diamond+Gold Block (all picks)
-Nether Star (all picks)
-Red-Stone IV (Smelter)
-Red-Stone V (fast,sliky)

mining speed: 27 (smelter), 28 (silky), 31 (fast).
those picks are faster than the power fist of my power suit, but less than a mining laser or vajra.

now my claver:

Claver: (actualy two version: "fear of withers" and "the brutalizer")
-Manyullyn Large Sword Blade
-Thaumium Large Plate
-2x Paper Tought Tool Rod

Durability: 1350
Attack: 4 hearts
Modifiers: 6
Writable
Thaumic

Modifiers: (3 base+2 writable+1 thaumic+2extra modifiers)

-Lapis
-Obsidian+Ender pearl (beheading) ("fear of withers")
-Necrotic ("fear of withers")
-Diamond+Gold Block
-Nether Star
-Quartz IV ("fear of withers")
-Quartz VI ("the brutalizer")
-Electric

Attack: 8.5 hearts ("fear of withers"), 10.5 hearts ("the brutalizer")
"the brutalizer" can One Shoot prety much everything, and the "fear of withers" is very efficient on withers skeleton (to get skulls) and on withers (life steal)

Smiletactician

Jul 29, 2019
So, if any whats the difference between the ThaumCraft weaponry/tools and doing it through TC? Obviously you can enchant one and the other is resource intensive, similar outcomes...

Not that i'm complaining, its nice to have some other means to utilise the abilities of weaponry/tools but isn't it started to look like enchantments are becoming obsolete.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'm new to TiCo but am excited to try my own variations on some of the tools described here.

How's this for an early-game hammer?
- Stone Head ( extremely cheap to repair )
- Obsidian Plate ( reinforced III )
- Paper Plate ( extra slot )
- Paper Binding ( extra slot )
- Slime Handle ( +durability )
- Slots (4?) --> Moss, Diamond, Redstone, Lapis

Am I off on any of my thoughts here?

Thanks!

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I'm new to TiCo but am excited to try my own variations on some of the tools described here.

Thanks!

Lapis is extremely expensive. You need over 7 stacks of the stuff to max it out. I wouldn't waste that on a stone hammer. Also electric is better bang for your buck than moss.

Also, why waste a slot on diamond? Just get a better material for the head and use the slot on redstone.

mk16

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks!
stock is 3 slots for all weapons
so 5 slots

stone is bad i would go iron pretty easy to get a forge up and running, got mine up in 1MC day.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys.

snooder:
- Regarding Lapis -- yeah you're right, I will probably not fortune the hammer, I'll just save that for a good pick or use the vanilla diamond pick with enchants.
- Electric doesn't seem too useful for my very "early game" where I literally have no power source.

mk16:
- What is "bad" about stone? I had a basic stone + obsidian hammer in another server and it worked well. Not real fast, but redstone will help. And it is so easy to repair with stone... I could even skip the moss balls because who cares if it doesn't regen? Shove more stone in it!

mk16

Jul 29, 2019

snooder:
- Regarding Lapis -- yeah you're right, I will probably not fortune the hammer, I'll just save that for a good pick or use the vanilla diamond pick with enchants.
- Electric doesn't seem too useful for my very "early game" where I literally have no power source.

mk16:
- What is "bad" about stone? I had a basic stone + obsidian hammer in another server and it worked well. Not real fast, but redstone will help. And it is so easy to repair with stone... I could even skip the moss balls because who cares if it doesn't regen? Shove more stone in it!

just the whole weakness to it. sure you can fix it easy as hell but its weak and slow, waste really to put all that good stuff on it.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019

snooder:

mk16:

Once you have redstone, you should have power. It's not like the IC2 electric tools that need a batpack or constant recharges. Just get a basic generator and you'll be good to go forever.

Stone is slow. And starting with a slow speed caps your eventual speed even with redstone. It's one thing if you never plan to upgrade it and will just ditch it an get a better tool once you are up and running, but wasting redstone and slimes on a stone tool when you can use iron (or flint) instead is not the best choice. Especially since you'll likely have a smeltery by the time you have a tool forge for the advanced tools.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I apparently am satisfied with mediocrity as I found my stone hammer to be plenty fast without redstone. I guess in my mind I'm rationalizing it as "OK that wasn't real fast to break, but it broke NINE blocks!"

Also, helpful tidbit for anyone espousing Iron as a material: with the recipe of 4xCoal+1xIron=2xSteel, Iron is really never worth using on a tool.

Reactions: mk16