Run a HP boiler for Hours or even days with 0 automation of fueling!!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The amount of blocks you can store is pretty moot now that we have barrels, DSU's and AE anyway. And I actually LIKE having a stock of 1.5M charcoal. Looks nice on a storage monitor.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said to make these is easy just fill your 3x3 grid with what you want to "compress" then take those 9 then do that again and again. I think you can do that about 4 times or so. Yes as the configs said at default it's 100% of what's you put into so a coal block is just like 9 charcoals and so on. Like I also said this won't work on machines so you can't "compress" your peats and expect to work on Peat Fired Engine or to "compress" your wood and for it to work on a Coke Oven. So yea and Hoff said IDs isn't the problem cause even if you Double the usage we have in FTB Ultimate there would still be some left over. This mod is up to date check the link on the Suggest Mods for FTB thread on that to the mod. It's already 1.5 and getting on a roll for a 1.5.2 release.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
So you have to fill your grid with 3x3 crafts of an item to run a boiler without automation?
4 compressions= 9 lvl 3 blocks= 81 lvl 2 blocks = 729 items.
Sounds kinda tedious. Best automate this process then forget about it.

Yep Fabricators can do this very good input>fabs>output= your done!

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
No.. you need to pull from the fabs then put in boilers. You don't need to auto it unless your going planks and/or have a ton and half boilers. A full sized HP boiler at max heat only eat one Extreme Condensed Coal block (you can make it with charcoals and it's act just like charcoals) will run for 9 hours! If you filler up all the slots in the boiler then your done for like 60 days @ 24 hours per day so yea.. Probably the last time you need to fill a boiler.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
No.. you need to pull from the fabs then put in boilers.

That's what I said (farm->furnace->fabricator->boiler)
Boilers can pull from the inventory of a fabricator...

You don't need to auto it unless your going planks and/or have a ton and half boilers. A full sized HP boiler at max heat only eat one Extreme Condensed Coal block (you can make it with charcoals and it's act just like charcoals) will run for 9 hours! If you filler up all the slots in the boiler then your done for like 60 days @ 24 hours per day so yea.. Probably the last time you need to fill a boiler.

So you're saying I need to make 4 stacks of extreme condensed stuff to make it worthwhile?

Kinda seems like an unnecessary step in the long run, given I have to auto craft something to manually load to avoid auto-loading something of what was easier to run in the first place.

Reactions: RedBoss

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Yea that's would work, Forgot that boilers work with any sided inventory container. I just thought of a good thing though way easier to figure out how many boilers you can run. Since for Coal extreme blocks it'll burn for 9 hours so however many you can auto craft with your normal farm setup bam that's how many boilers you can run with a "blank of an eye". No more getting wild guess cause counterparts just burn way too fast to count..

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
So you need to automate the crafting of the blocks, which is a multi step crafting procedure, then you have to automate the input of the fuel? That's a lot of automation, and additional steps, for a mod that is billed as eliminating the automation.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought it was one of those neat block/item compression mods. Also, installed it with 1.1.2 FTB Ultimate without a single hitch, and yes, the energy yield for the compressed blocks is 1:1 with however much of a given material they take to create, but this ratio is configurable, as a percentage. So you could, if you wanted to, have blocks that give you a +5% energy boost as a way to compensate for having to auto-craft 'em. Though, with BuildCraft, XyCraft, and Applied Energistics, auto-crafting isn't really that much of a hassle, to be honest. I combine the latter two quite often, mostly because I can't be arsed to learn how to do automatic crafting with AE, and XyCraft's way is just plain simpler, anyway.

For those, like me, who are incredibly anal about storage space, even once I've gotten multiple 64k AE storage disks in a drive, its a really handy thing to have around. Also, the max-compressed planks are AMAZING in vanilla IC2 generators. 8 generators, with 1 max-compressed block each, filled a MFE and barely got thru, like...10% of their burning cycles. Yeah, it might be an extra step, but especially early on, that extra step means having a much longer-running system without having to hover over it, refueling it constantly.

Plus, since one of the first things I did was get a PowerCraft harvester workin on jungle trees, this thing will help save chest space til I can nab me an AE system.

(ETA: Also, scanned it with Avast!, she's clean.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Yea that's would work, Forgot that boilers work with any sided inventory container. I just thought of a good thing though way easier to figure out how many boilers you can run. Since for Coal extreme blocks it'll burn for 9 hours so however many you can auto craft with your normal farm setup bam that's how many boilers you can run with a "blank of an eye". No more getting wild guess cause counterparts just burn way too fast to count..

Blink of an eye right?

JackHD

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just you know, put a tesseract from your wood/charcoal farm to a DSU that's next to your boiler, and skip those unneeded fabricator steps. Shneekey is right, we don't need a mod which sole purpose is to add 9 pretty much worthless blocks.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Bah, automation is a thing of the past, we have AE now, go mow the lawn whilst AE plays :p

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If turtle can use the blocks as fuel that would make it pretty darn useful as well tbh. There are systems where the blocks could help save energy and be more server friendly than the alternatives as well. Longer lasting fuel doesn't need to be replaced as often, thus lowering how many times it needs to be replaced, saving energy on AE and in some instances lowering lag due to too many entities flowing through pipes. There are merits and demerits for such a mod though, but for some people the good outweighs the bad.

If run in tandem with AE, for example, you can run the planks through a processing facility to compress them before being inserted into your AE system so you use less energy transferring them. There should be a way to do this so you can keep a certain amount in the system at all times before it starts compressing such as using a wooden chest instead of a DSU since you wouldn't need 2 billion planks on demand and any excess goes further along into a tesseract for compression.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
If turtle can use the blocks as fuel that would make it pretty darn useful as well tbh. There are systems where the blocks could help save energy and be more server friendly than the alternatives as well. Longer lasting fuel doesn't need to be replaced as often, thus lowering how many times it needs to be replaced, saving energy on AE and in some instances lowering lag due to too many entities flowing through pipes. There are merits and demerits for such a mod though, but for some people the good outweighs the bad.

If run in tandem with AE, for example, you can run the planks through a processing facility to compress them before being inserted into your AE system so you use less energy transferring them. There should be a way to do this so you can keep a certain amount in the system at all times before it starts compressing such as using a wooden chest instead of a DSU since you wouldn't need 2 billion planks on demand and any excess goes further along into a tesseract for compression.
Preeecisely. And, if you're not on a machine that can flawlessly run FTB all the time, a machine like mine for instance, any amount of lag reduction is an excellent thing to have 'round.

Also, am I seriously the only one here that's amused by the fact I can now, courtesy of this mod, use excess coal/charcoal to add on to my base?

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Yep finally people are getting at what's the good things about this mod cause once you "dig" into it more you'll find what's I'm talking about. From "compressing" storage to lag reduction.

JackHD

Jul 29, 2019
Yep finally people are getting at what's the good things about this mod cause once you "dig" into it more you'll find what's I'm talking about. From "compressing" storage to lag reduction.

Hardly lag reduction if you have no pipes. And I'll stick to my DSU's instead of installing a whole new mod.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Hardly lag reduction if you have no pipes. And I'll stick to my DSU's instead of installing a whole new mod.
That's fine for you but arbitrarily limiting others to certain playstyles is uunconscionable.

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
The argument " Just use automation" cuts both ways. With AE and 5 solid fuel boilers, during the initial warmup (and maybe even after) the boilers consume planks so quickly that my AE system was actually drawing more (or at least close to as much) energy to feed the items into the boilers, than the boilers were actually producing via turbines.

Hugely compressed blocks would cut this down significantly. Of course I just reverted to a separate system to feed the boilers and cut the logs into planks, but I'd much prefer one uniform system as opposed to several working in tandem.

Reactions: Barbarian Kitten