RotaryCraft Questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Lol. I will never build one because I will never need that much power. A single turbine HTGR would be more than enough for me.
Neither do I need that much power. I built one more to see if I could do it, and because, well, building complicated tech setups is one of the reasons I play modded Minecraft and a running reactor looks cool.

Reactions: madnewmy

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea on how to get enough jet fuel to run gas turbines for extended amounts of time? It takes 240 buckets of jet fuel to get it to run for 1 hour and 20 minutes once its fully spun up/at max speed. I've managed to get a fractionation unit to run at 1.95s per operation but getting enough magma cream and blaze rods is extremely difficult, any ideas?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
For the things you mentioned, blaze seeds and magma seeds are needed. Actually you can make all the additives with magical crops.

Wondering how to get the throughput?

Lilypads of hilarity,
Fertilized soil,
Rotarycraft sprinklers,
Lamps of growth (a single row of soul sand with nether wort on it is enough to produce the herba you need once you have a proper farm running)
Rituals of the green grove (currently my farm uses 16 of these and is sustained by my patented eternal villager torture chamber)
Many harvesters.

A fully automatic 15x15 farm where crops grow to maturity in under 5 seconds and harvest almost immediately. So fast my cyclic assemblers struggle to keep up.

And then, use logistics pipes or SFM to keep your fractionation machine stocked with additives correctly and the process basically runs itself.

Reactions: trajing

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Do gearboxes ever run out of lubricant? atleast as of v25
Wood, stone, and steel gearboxes consume lubricant constantly (but I assume the higher tiers use it more slowly);
Diamond gearboxes need a bit to get started, but never actually consume it;
and Bedrock gearboxes don't need any lubricant at all.

With any tier, you should be fine if you're grinding canola seeds and piping the lubricant in fast enough.

Reactions: Padfoote

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone got some fast extractor setups that are not reactors or magneostatic engines?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Anyone got some fast extractor setups that are not reactors or magneostatic engines?
I've been powering my extractor with a gas turbine. Here's a screenshot:

050_Processing1.jpg

The gas turbine is in the wall behind the bevel gear right of the CVT. Ores are exporting into the extractor by bus and the flakes sent into the gold chest I use for a buffer, then smelted in the two Elite Factories and sent into the ME interface, with a pass through a unifier for certain ores. The Cyclic Assemblers are for the items that come out of the smelting and need to be crafted into their final shapes, such as Thaumcraft shards, calcite, fluorite, magnetite, Magical Crops essence and one or two more.
The CVT switches the gas turbine between optimal for stage 1 and 4 and optimal for stage 2 and 3 every two seconds, controlled by an Engineer's Toolbox timer under the floor, with the green lamp blinking on and off to show everything is working as it should. The chest on the right is a sample chest. I'm not running this constantly since I have way more ores and ore types than I need, so whenever I need another batch of metals, I pick up to 8 samples out of the chest to configure the export bus and throw the lever. Also, the lever *de*activates the ECU under the gas turbine. I'm using an Engineer's Toolbox NOT gate for that. Among other things, it means the system stays off when I need to change the wiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: E_DM_B and Bigpak

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
So for automating jet fuel production for the turbine, if you have, what did you use to automate it? is it possible to automate it with AE?

For me it feels like I need so much jetfuel to run all my contraptions. i feel like I need to produce 1 thousand buckets of jet fuel every minute

I can't really find any good uses for any other engines other than micro turbines and gas turbines in mid to late game rotarycraft. I don't know what performance engines or gasoline engines are useful for later in rotarycraft, I only used it to get my first few micro turbines and now I don't use them anymore, not sure if they are still useful or not? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So for automating jet fuel production for the turbine, if you have, what did you use to automate it? is it possible to automate it with AE?

For me it feels like I need so much jetfuel to run all my contraptions. i feel like I need to produce 1 thousand buckets of jet fuel every minute

I can't really find any good uses for any other engines other than micro turbines and gas turbines in mid to late game rotarycraft. I don't know what performance engines or gasoline engines are useful for later in rotarycraft, I only used it to get my first few micro turbines and now I don't use them anymore, not sure if they are still useful or not? Any ideas?
It is quite correct that mid-tier engines have limited use later in the game. Apart from those two and Magnetostatics, the only type I keep using is the DC engine for very low-power tasks.

As for automated jet fuel production. here's what I've been doing:
(1) Coal....uh, no problem, I have 32k coal *ore*.
(2) Blaze Powder: produced by a Magical Crops farm. Alternate souce: a mob grinder with an MFR auto-spawner spawning blazes. Quite possibly you could also do this with RoC machines, but I'm not sure if blaze spawners work in the overworld.
(3) Netherrack: I once mined out 16 chunks of the Nether top to bottom with a Mekanism Digital Miner. 250k Netherrack should last a while.
(4) Soul Sand: produced by a Magical Crops farm.
(5) Ghast Tears: They're a hassle to get, but you only need one.
(6) Ethanol: Produced from sugarcane and dirt with a DC engine.
(7) Magma Cream: produced by my Magical Crops farm. Alternate source: a mob-grinder with an auto-spawner spawning magma cubes.

Blaze Rods from the farm are being sent to a TE pulverizer for the blaze powder, Soul Sand and Netherrack into a grinder by bus if needed, powered by a tier 5 Magnetostatic engine set to 8 MW output. As I said, I'm not making jet fuel constantly since the process is far too fast and any resource production wouldn't be able to keep up without making really large farms.

Reactions: Pyure

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
What good are gasoline or performance engines for? or wind turbines and hydro kinetic engines?

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Also, how can I keep a fractionation unit filled with ingredients without Steves Factory Manager. I can't believe it... I think item ducts may actually work? I thought that it would just try and feed only one ingredient into all 4 slots. Hm.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Also, how can I keep a fractionation unit filled with ingredients without Steves Factory Manager. I can't believe it... I think item ducts may actually work? I thought that it would just try and feed only one ingredient into all 4 slots. Hm.
I think this is a new slot mechanic introduced in one of the recent updates. Before....I think it was v24, that would indeed have happened, and you had to use Logistics Pipes or SFM to put the ingredients in. However, what is good in this place is a nightmare when using the Blast Furnace, since the new mechanic never fills more than one slot with the same item unless you prime it by putting one in manually. Which means that you'll break your automation if ever the slot runs empty.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019

I'm still constantly changing mine, and don't have it running any good yet, but I figured you might want some of the numbers I've come across/worked out.

Stage 1 and 4 max out at 32,768 r/s, giving a processing time of 1 tick. ( IE: 20 per second. ) This will require 16,777,216 W due to the 512NM of torque required.
Stage 2 and 3 max out at 1,048,576 r/s.

Until you hit the 16MW mark, you will probably want multiple extractors due to the way the speed increases work. ( 1MW for 2 and 3 doesn't really help, as 4 will end up being your bottleneck. )

Specifically, each stage has a starting duration, that is then subtracted from by a number every time you double the speed. ( or some fraction thereof for intermediate speeds. )

Stage 1: 900 ticks ( 45 seconds ) and - 60 ( 3 seconds )
Stage 2: 400 ticks ( 20 seconds ) and - 20 ( 1 second )
Stage 3: 600 ticks ( 30 seconds ) and -30 ( 1.5 seconds )
Stage 4: 1200 tick ( 60 seconds ) and -80 ( 4 seconds )

The formula btw is: "Base duration" - ["subtraction time" x log2 ( speed + 1 )]

This should help you to decide at a given time if you should simply split the power to another extractor, or increase your power input, or even to consolidate back down to 1 extractor.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking about and jet fuel gas turbines, can you get enough soulsand by a nether borer? It brings s-sand for me, but very, very rarely. Borer set up at y=64 and (was) powered by a jet. It doesn't give nearly enough s-sand to keep up with the consuption.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Speaking of bedrock gearboxes ... I managed to get a bedrock breaker running with a buttload of chained hydrothingies.

But I noticed that bedrock on my map is just levels 1 & 2, so it's turning but not actually grinding anything. Shouldn't RoC create a ticker bedrock layer tick enough to have some meat to munch into?

Someone suggested going for the nether roof instead, but that means I can't use my hydro engines :(

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still constantly changing mine, and don't have it running any good yet, but I figured you might want some of the numbers I've come across/worked out.

Stage 1 and 4 max out at 32,768 r/s, giving a processing time of 1 tick. ( IE: 20 per second. ) This will require 16,777,216 W due to the 512NM of torque required.
Stage 2 and 3 max out at 1,048,576 r/s.

Until you hit the 16MW mark, you will probably want multiple extractors due to the way the speed increases work. ( 1MW for 2 and 3 doesn't really help, as 4 will end up being your bottleneck. )

Specifically, each stage has a starting duration, that is then subtracted from by a number every time you double the speed. ( or some fraction thereof for intermediate speeds. )

Stage 1: 900 ticks ( 45 seconds ) and - 60 ( 3 seconds )
Stage 2: 400 ticks ( 20 seconds ) and - 20 ( 1 second )
Stage 3: 600 ticks ( 30 seconds ) and -30 ( 1.5 seconds )
Stage 4: 1200 tick ( 60 seconds ) and -80 ( 4 seconds )

The formula btw is: "Base duration" - ["subtraction time" x log2 ( speed + 1 )]

This should help you to decide at a given time if you should simply split the power to another extractor, or increase your power input, or even to consolidate back down to 1 extractor.
Or, through the glory of Geostrata time accels, you can get a single extractor running at x128 it's speed with only the minimal power/speed/torque required!

(or x256 if you can be arsed to kill the wither 5 times extra)