RotaryCraft Questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
wow...just thinking about that makes me want to include RoC in my first playthrough when FTB 1.7 comes out. It's ridiculous to get a return on the investment Using IC2 or TE to make the HV arrays I found. But the way I manually mine, fully processing 8 stacks of ore doesn't seem ridiculous.

You should see what the extractor does with Nether Redstone Ore. It's something like 45 redstone per ore.

I completely ran myself out of redstone autocrafting some HV arrays. Popped over to the nether for 5 minutes grabbing the rather common redstone ore. Came back and ran it through my extractor, and I had more than a 256x256 quarry got me:)

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Is it a bad idea to just do rotarycraft first before thermal expansion and other mods? Or does it not matter or what?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Is it a bad idea to just do rotarycraft first before thermal expansion and other mods? Or does it not matter or what?

It doesn't matter. I removed TE3 from Monster and used just Reika's mods (RotaryCraft, ReactorCraft, and ElectriCraft) without any issues.

Reactions: madnewmy

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019

No it's not a "bad" idea, if you can master RoC early you will find the other mods lacking in challenge.

Of course if you want an easy time useing RoC at all is a "bad" idea. But in the end the only bad idea in modded MC is one that ends up not being fun.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Actually, a playstyle where you minimize use of TE machines should be rather interesting. You'll need TE for power distribution and storage eventually, but until your base is big enough to require some automatic adaptability you won't need TE. Just remember that centralized power production does not work well at all in RotaryCraft until you're far enough in that you can switch to ReactorCraft and ElectriCraft, because the shaft system means you have to change the distribution network every time you add something to the system. So rather than having power blocks consisting of banks of engines, you distribute the fuel rather than the power and generate power where you need it.

I'd still use TE ducts or EnderIO conduits rather than RotaryCraft pipes because I don't like their appearance.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommand adding steve factory manager if you play with only RoC as a tech mod. Helps out a lot early game :)

For OP question, no one aborded CVT's which are up too 32x gearbox, but the ratio can be changed with redstone (ex: 32x speed and 8x torque)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
You'll need TE for power distribution and storage eventually

Not true. I have a modified version of Monster I'm running, and TE was the first mod to go. Haven't missed anything from it, and won't ever need anything from it. Been using just RotaryCraft and a little bit of EnderIO for Quite Clear Glass, and not much more in the way of tech.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Not true. I have a modified version of Monster I'm running, and TE was the first mod to go. Haven't missed anything from it, and won't ever need anything from it. Been using just RotaryCraft and a little bit of EnderIO for Quite Clear Glass, and not much more in the way of tech.
How do you transfer power over long distances (such that a long shaft or cable would be prohibitively expensive and/or dissipate all your power along the way), or do you even need to do that? I know vanilla RotaryCraft has some system of passing power through portals, but said portals can only lead to precisely the same location in another dimension, which doesn't help in powering distant outposts in the overworld. Do (or would) you use the Dimensional Transceiver thing in EnderIO or ExtraUtilities transfer nodes with the ender transmitter/receiver upgrades?

Or, do you not worry about teleporting power, and instead transport fuel of some sort?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
How do you transfer power over long distances (such that a long shaft or cable would be prohibitively expensive and/or dissipate all your power along the way), or do you even need to do that? I know vanilla RotaryCraft has some system of passing power through portals, but said portals can only lead to precisely the same location in another dimension, which doesn't help in powering distant outposts in the overworld. Do (or would) you use the Dimensional Transceiver thing in EnderIO or ExtraUtilities transfer nodes with the ender transmitter/receiver upgrades?

Or, do you not worry about teleporting power, and instead transport fuel of some sort?

My base is fairly compact, so long distance transport isn't an issue. The farthest distance is something like 30-40 blocks, and only vertically. If I need to do long distance transport, I would end up using the Dimensional Transceiver.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
So....what about interdimensional transport? Specifically, to and from the Nether where you can't control where you come out.

And how do you store your power - or more precisely, how do you organize things that excess power gets stored. The strength of an RF or EU power system is that it has implicit routing, where the power goes where it's needed without a need for active control. Don't say that's "too easy", IC2 has had it for years and nobody complained. ElectriCraft does the same of course, but it's nonfeasible for early builds.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
So....what about interdimensional transport? Specifically, to and from the Nether where you can't control where you come out.

And how do you store your power - or more precisely, how do you organize things that excess power gets stored. The strength of an RF or EU power system is that it has implicit routing, where the power goes where it's needed without a need for active control. Don't say that's "too easy", IC2 has had it for years and nobody complained. ElectriCraft does the same of course, but it's nonfeasible for early builds.
He fixed the shaft with Nether portal in 25 and I am fairly sure he would update ;)
Electricraft has the auroral battery, ender IO has capacitors. He could also convert some power into EU (by the intermediate of railcraft) and get some MFSU filled.

But I always feeled like RoC was design not to need any battery. Just my personal opinion ;)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
OK gratend, whatever TE can do regarding transpor and power storage, EnderIO can do as well and sometimes better. But then, some of the things both mods do TE does better so I no reason not to use it. And seriously, I don't get this rampant TE hate. It's annoying. It's not as if I was its greatest fan, but it's a good mod that doesn't deserve the hate it's getting.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Interdimensional transport of items is done with RailCraft. Excess power isn't really a concern because I make sure I give the RotaryCraft machines the minimums they need and leave it at that. The four EnderIO machines I use have an internal buffer that I just let full up. When it runs out, I toss more coal into the generator.

This world isn't fully developed yet. I'm no where near making reactors, so a lot of the power concerns are minimal right now.
OK gratend, whatever TE can do regarding transpor and power storage, EnderIO can do as well and sometimes better. But then, some of the things both mods do TE does better so I no reason not to use it. And seriously, I don't get this rampant TE hate. It's annoying. It's not as if I was its greatest fan, but it's a good mod that doesn't deserve the hate it's getting.

It's less hate of the mod and more boredom with it. It's far too simple for me to enjoy, so I remove it whenever I start a world.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
As Pad said, it's not hate.
The mod is super simple, and a lot of us (often times people that also enjoy GregTech and RotaryCraft, which I do both) just can't get past it. It's far too boring, how everything does everything for you. I want to /work/ for my automation. I don't want handouts.

Reactions: Padfoote

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Being simple is both TE's strength and it's downside. Is great for beginners, easy to understand, and a great base for which to add more complicated mods on top of. However because of that same simplicity it's just kind of boring. TE has very little innovation or creativity.
Tl;dr it's strength is also it's weakness

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, so I had a question about basically speeding something up. Let's say I had a bedrock breaker that was being powered by two microturbines going into two 16:1 diamond gearboxes set to torque. If I wanted to make it go faster it would require more speed from what i know. However if I add more engines onto it it just gets converted into torque. Is their a way to make it convert torque and speed or to convert torque but still allow me to add speed to it?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Alrighty, so I had a question about basically speeding something up. Let's say I had a bedrock breaker that was being powered by two microturbines going into two 16:1 diamond gearboxes set to torque. If I wanted to make it go faster it would require more speed from what i know. However if I add more engines onto it it just gets converted into torque. Is their a way to make it convert torque and speed or to convert torque but still allow me to add speed to it?
Torque adds when you combine engines while speed stays constant. For a machine with a minimum torque, just use the right gearbox to get the minimum torque you need and that will give you the max speed you can get with your power. In you example, 2 micro turbines are running through a 16x gearbox. If you add 2 more engines, you will only need a 8x gearbox to achieve the same torque. That will double your speed while maintaining the same torque.

One thing though, your example shouldn't work. Micro turbines only make 16 nm of torque and the bedrock breaker requires 8192 torque. So 4 turbines make 64 nm. 8192/64=128.
So you would need 128x gearing for torque from 4 of them to run a bedrock breaker. You would need a 16x and a 8x gearbox inline set to torque for 4 microturbines to break bedrock. You would want to combine your engines output using shaft junctions and bevel gears to create a single output. It would feed into the 2 gearboxes inline that connect to the bedrock breaker.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
So if I want to speed up an operation of a machine how would I do this if speed is a constant. I don't quite understand how I would exactly do that if no matter how many engines you add speed will still be the same unless you use gearboxes to convert some torque to speed however microturbines produce little to no torque. Don't quite understand that.

Like I just put 6 microturbines into shaft junctions feeding into a bedrock 8:1 gearbox and set it to speed and its making 1m/rads

xHaQEd3.png

Last edited:

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
So if I want to speed up an operation of a machine how would I do this if speed is a constant. I don't quite understand how I would exactly do that if no matter how many engines you add speed will still be the same unless you use gearboxes to convert some torque to speed however microturbines produce little to no torque. Don't quite understand that.

Like I just put 6 microturbines into shaft junctions feeding into a bedrock 8:1 gearbox and set it to speed and its making 1m/rads
the gearbox are there so you can have higher speed and keep the min torque

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

That's exactly what the gearboxes are for. :p

I can't imagine many situations where you'd hook your machine directly to an engine.