RotaryCraft Questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I have a few questions here. One thing I do not understand completely is gearboxes/cvt. I've seen some pictures on them to where there is two gearboxes right next to eachother. What does this accomplish? I know there are two different modes for gearboxes to run and that is speed and torque. So What practical uses does having two gearboxes directly next to eachother have? Can someone give some examples etc? Another thing I have questions about is worm gears. What exactly do these do? I've read up about them in the handbook but I still do not quite understand them.

One last final question for this post, What is all the hype about magneostatic engines? I don't quite understand what is so good about them, I know they come in tiers etc and whatnot but it just seems a bit to.... boring? It doesn't really require too much... thought? It's not nearly as fun as using some of the rotarycraft engines etc. I don't quite understand what is so good about them.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Daisy chaining gearboxes allows for higher ratios of conversion. For example, two 16:1 gearboxes combine into a 256 gear ratio.
Worm-gears are meant as an early game, pre lubricant gearbox set for torque. They are a bit lossy as far as power goes.
Magnetostatics are SUPPOSED to allow you to move power around via the simpler RF system. But in the past(and people still attempt to do this), they have been used to skip tiers in Rotary Craft.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
you have a set of types of engines. You have machines. The mod is about figuring what to do inbetween the engine and the machine to make both work for you. Use gearboxes, junctions, and CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission as in flexible ratio of power) to complete your task. Coils provide a manual way to skirt those "equations".

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
you have a set of types of engines. You have machines. The mod is about figuring what to do inbetween the engine and the machine to make both work for you. Use gearboxes, junctions, and CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission as in flexible ratio of power) to complete your task. Coils provide a manual way to skirt those "equations".
...did you even read the post? Or just the title?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
For an example of gearbox chaining, I had two diamond gearboxes laying around. One was 8:1, the other 2:1. Rather than make a 16:1 gearbox, I just chained those two together to get the 16:1 gearing I needed.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. If you had read the first part of the op, and then read my reply, you'd be wondering why you are asking me this question.
He was asking for the function of daisy chaining gearboxes/CVTs. Not for a description of what they are for. Also, OP did not once mention industrial coils. Only magnetostatics.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
obviously people use multiple gearboxes can be used to reach a specific torque or speed and that's why I said what I said. I realize he didn't mention coils. I introduced a new variable to his equation. So what.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
One of the other main reasons Magnetostatics are liked, is they are incredibly efficient compared to the stock RoC engines.

19 Magmatic dynamos can power a Tier 4 magnetostatic...which is FOUR times the power of a Micro Turbine, with no spin up time, and using just a small amount of lava instead of truck loads of jet fuel.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
So technically it is possible to power a bedrock breaker with DC-electrical engines, however it would take about 30 minutes for it to break a piece of bedrock. Correct?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Breaker requires a minimum of torque and power of which a dc does not acheive. So I believe that is incorrect. If you had several dcs than maybe.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I mean't about 600 of them which would be absolutely inefficient and terrible but I thought it was an interesting concept/idea of what it would look like.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I mean't about 600 of them which would be absolutely inefficient and terrible but I thought it was an interesting concept/idea of what it would look like.

Yes, or even a single DC going to a coil for a very long time.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I have a question about is with rotarycraft it is literally all about designs and many possibilities correct? It just seems like there is so many possibilities and ways to design power output etc.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
One thing I have a question about is with rotarycraft it is literally all about designs and many possibilities correct? It just seems like there is so many possibilities and ways to design power output etc.

Yep.

Edit: Ninja'd

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Great. I love it :D. I just like mods that are unique and can be setup in many many different ways. Thanks for the great mod Reika

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So yes, for the price it takes for you to build a HV IC2 Solar Array (like 80 stacks of iron ingots), you can have the most flexible power gen mod in Minecraft. lol I kid, but not really.
That being said... Dat Extractor would make dat solar array with 8 stacks of iron ore. Not to shabby.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
So yes, for the price it takes for you to build a HV IC2 Solar Array (like 80 stacks of iron ingots), you can have the most flexible power gen mod in Minecraft. lol I kid, but not really.
That being said... Dat Extractor would make dat solar array with 8 stacks of iron ore. Not to shabby.
wow...just thinking about that makes me want to include RoC in my first playthrough when FTB 1.7 comes out. It's ridiculous to get a return on the investment Using IC2 or TE to make the HV arrays I found. But the way I manually mine, fully processing 8 stacks of ore doesn't seem ridiculous.