Rotary Craft Extractor Setup's

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Which bit no longer works? :)
Using magnetostatics directly.

Why are you always so curt, Reika? Can't you just tell us what we want to know?

Anyway, from what I can gather from the v16 changelog, "RotaryCraft: Heavily nerfed magnetostatic and pneumatic engines; they now have a fixed torque and a 4MW max power", therefore you can't get enough power and/torque from one to run an extractor.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Why are you always so curt, Reika?

Anyway, from what I can gather from the v16 changelog, "RotaryCraft: Heavily nerfed magnetostatic and pneumatic engines; they now have a fixed torque and a 4MW max power", therefore you can't get enough power and/torque from one to run an extractor.
I suspect most people would find it more rude if I just quoted the changelog at them.

Can't you just tell us what we want to know?
Show me this mind-reading device.

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect most people would find it more rude if I just quoted the changelog at them.

Maybe. Not me. Then I would just say to myself, "Duh, I should have looked there first," and having been suitably admonished would check there first in the future. But it is true, there is no pleasing every one.

Show me this mind-reading device.

None required. And I know you get lots of stupid questions and you can't and shouldn't spend time writing in depth answers to them. But here we have an interaction between you and someone who really loves your product and is trying to help others out who doesn't know about the latest change you "just" made that breaks his set-up. So instead of:

AtB: Hey here's my great thing.

R: Doesn't work anymore.

AtB: Why not? <---- Obvious follow up question everyone knew was coming that you could have answered without this prompt.

R: Can't use magnetostatics directly. <---- Which is true, but once again, doesn't tell us why. And yeah, it isn't really that hard to figure out. But would it really have been so bad for this interaction to play out this way:

R: Doesn't work anymore. I decided magnetostatics were OP and now they are capped at 4MW each.

Hardly any more effort on your part, and AtB and the rest of us RotaryCraft fans would be so happy. I know that is probably not the main reason you make RotaryCraft, and you certainly don't owe us users anything. It just seems like a handful more characters when answering these posts would have such a huge impact.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Maybe. Not me. Then I would just say to myself, "Duh, I should have looked there first," and having been suitably admonished would check there first in the future. But it is true, there is no pleasing every one.

None required. And I know you get lots of stupid questions and you can't and shouldn't spend time writing in depth answers to them. But here we have an interaction between you and someone who really loves your product and is trying to help others out who doesn't know about the latest change you "just" made that breaks his set-up. So instead of:

R: Doesn't work anymore.

AtB: Why not? <---- Obvious follow up question everyone knew was coming that you could have answered without this prompt.

R: Can't use magnetostatics directly. <---- Which is true, but once again, doesn't tell us why. And yeah, it isn't really that hard to figure out. But would it really have been so bad for this interaction to play out this way:

R: Doesn't work anymore. I decided magnetostatics were OP and now they are capped at 4MW each.

Hardly any more effort on your part, and AtB and the rest of us RotaryCraft fans would be so happy. I know that is probably not the main reason you make RotaryCraft, and you certainly don't owe us users anything. It just seems like a handful more characters when answering these posts would have such a huge impact.
I would rather these sorts of things were found by a mix of reading the changelog and experimentation. The latter is probably the most crucial part of learning how to use RotaryCraft.

Additionally, I am not intentionally being blunt; that is my usual sort of response to everything.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I'm glad those engines got nerfed. Was basically a short-cut that avoided what I consider to be all the fun in the mod. Some people don't have the willpower to avoid such shortcuts, even knowing they're missing out on fun. ;)

Reactions: PierceSG

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for the info :)

I would rather these sorts of things were found by a mix of reading the changelog and experimentation. The latter is probably the most crucial part of learning how to use RotaryCraft.

Ironically I was learning through experimentation until I watched your video with the magnetostatics everywhere and moved away from my CVT setup to just use them :D It did make it very easy to setup so a good change

Mahoka

Jul 29, 2019
I thought magnetostatics were way too easy compared with the overall pace of rotarycraft. A well earned nerf-bat.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all.

I have run across the mod Rotary Craft in the new monster pack, and i would like some help in figuring out different setups for the extractor.

My goal is come up with a library of ideas for how to take engines, and turbines, to make the extractor run at its finest.

If you have any ideas please feel free to post them below

edit: well i just looked at this and feel I am not clear enough, I would like ideas for creating the best extractor setup for the least resources

The extractor will run with pre-jet tech, it just won't be working at ub0rspeed. Gearing and playing with different speed is well and good, but most people seem not to realize that wattage is wattage; at a certain point you simply need more engine. I've run an extractor with 6 AC engines (flywheels are essential), for instance, and yes it RAN.. but with almost a 20 second cycle time per stage. I used it for very specific things I was low on and it was fine for that. A single magnetostatic engine will tolerably run an extractor, it will require gearing and timing though to get it really working well. Getting an extractor moving at rates like what you see in Reikas own video is endgame stuff, where you can throw 50mw at something without batting an eye.

Every journey begins with a simple step, as the saying goes.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a sort of pipe thing so multiple magnestatics can be hooked up to a extractor?
Called shaft junctions and bevel gears. You can combine power of 2 engines(have to be same rad/s) with a bevel gear on one and a shaft junction on the other. You can keep adding sets of 2 and connecting them together the same way. Heres a link to a farm I made that shows how 8 fans are fed by one shaft from a single steam engine.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-magical-crops-any-ideas-how-to-fix-it.43416/ You can see how the shaft junctions and bevel gears are used. You need a screwdriver and angular transducer to set them up. Shift clicking shaft junctions with a screwdriver changes modes between power merge and split mode. I split mode, you had to click them with an empty hand to set the ratio you want to split power. 1:1 is what I have them all set on.
I also was trying to get an extractor running fast by feeding it stupid amounts of power and came up with this setup. It combines 4 magneostatics at max power. It makes a little over 16 Mw and consumes 3k RF/t.

As for extractor setups, the key to making them run really fast is to use CVT's and their new feature. You can switch ratios with a redstone signal. I haven't played with it to setup a timer or something to switch speeds yet, but am planning on it. I have 2 CVT's. One is set to 32:1 with redstone and 8:1 without. The 2nd is set to 32:1 with redstone and 2:1 without. All are set to speed. How it works....With both levers off, it makes 512 torque at a pretty high speed. It takes only seconds to run a stack through the 1st stage. I then power both CVT's for stage 2-3. They only need 8(stage 2) and 4(stage 3) torque, so I just run them both at 8 Nm. No point in trying to add more gears to run stage 3 at 4 Nm. It runs stupid fast at the speed that gives 8Nm for stage 2. The final stage runs with CVT 1 @ 32:1 and CVT 2 @ 2:1. I originally had the off positions as 1:1 and 16:1. Stage 4 was the slowest, so instead of it running at 32:1->1:1, I swapped it to 16:1->2:1. It made stage 1 a hair slower, but made stage 4 keep up with 2 and 3.
This setup runs all stages but all stages at or close to their minimum torque to achieve max speed. I made this more as a test than anything, because I had no idea much the speed difference of the stages really were. It is also not something you would want as full time on processor. Taking 3k RF/t per machine is possible late game, but not something you can do for a while. Simply switching speeds through the process makes the exctractor run amazingly fast. Just feeding a single speed would require an obscene amount of power to run all stages quickly. If you want to make a really efficient setup, switching speeds to give each stage it's minimum torque is the way to go. Could be as simple as a timer or state cell to cycle through the stages. When I get one built, I will post it here.

Here's the setup.
Xft6Dic.png

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Called shaft junctions and bevel gears. You can combine power of 2 engines(have to be same rad/s) with a bevel gear on one and a shaft junction on the other. You can keep adding sets of 2 and connecting them together the same way. Heres a link to a farm I made that shows how 8 fans are fed by one shaft from a single steam engine.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...-magical-crops-any-ideas-how-to-fix-it.43416/ You can see how the shaft junctions and bevel gears are used. You need a screwdriver and angular transducer to set them up. Shift clicking shaft junctions with a screwdriver changes modes between power merge and split mode. I split mode, you had to click them with an empty hand to set the ratio you want to split power. 1:1 is what I have them all set on.
I also was trying to get an extractor running fast by feeding it stupid amounts of power and came up with this setup. It combines 4 magneostatics at max power. It makes a little over 16 Mw and consumes 3k RF/t.

As for extractor setups, the key to making them run really fast is to use CVT's and their new feature. You can switch ratios with a redstone signal. I haven't played with it to setup a timer or something to switch speeds yet, but am planning on it. I have 2 CVT's. One is set to 32:1 with redstone and 8:1 without. The 2nd is set to 32:1 with redstone and 2:1 without. All are set to speed. How it works....With both levers off, it makes 512 torque at a pretty high speed. It takes only seconds to run a stack through the 1st stage. I then power both CVT's for stage 2-3. They only need 8(stage 2) and 4(stage 3) torque, so I just run them both at 8 Nm. No point in trying to add more gears to run stage 3 at 4 Nm. It runs stupid fast at the speed that gives 8Nm for stage 2. The final stage runs with CVT 1 @ 32:1 and CVT 2 @ 2:1. I originally had the off positions as 1:1 and 16:1. Stage 4 was the slowest, so instead of it running at 32:1->1:1, I swapped it to 16:1->2:1. It made stage 1 a hair slower, but made stage 4 keep up with 2 and 3.
This setup runs all stages but all stages at or close to their minimum torque to achieve max speed. I made this more as a test than anything, because I had no idea much the speed difference of the stages really were. It is also not something you would want as full time on processor. Taking 3k RF/t per machine is possible late game, but not something you can do for a while. Simply switching speeds through the process makes the exctractor run amazingly fast. Just feeding a single speed would require an obscene amount of power to run all stages quickly. If you want to make a really efficient setup, switching speeds to give each stage it's minimum torque is the way to go. Could be as simple as a timer or state cell to cycle through the stages. When I get one built, I will post it here.

Here's the setup.
Xft6Dic.png

What kind of block is that in the floor?

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of block is that in the floor?
The mod is Artifice. It is where all the basalt cobble and marble cobble in Horizons comes from. Those are the paver and anti-paver. Same texture, but don't connect to each other. They will make one large area if you use only one kind. They also recognize many blocks when you place stuff on them and will put a border around it like the edges.

BTW, that setup still isn't as fast as the LINE of extractors in your video. The amount of power it took for that is finally starting to sink in...Just wow.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
{Stuff about CVTS}
Basically this ^

The CVT GUI allows you to decide what you want to happen when a redstone signal is applied. What's really sweet is you can specify exact gear ratios. Ideally you're constantly flipping from one ideal-state to another every X seconds (Timer + Latch or whatever does it for you)

Hey @DriftinFool, not only is stage 4 slow, it also has the most work to do :( :(

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Basically this ^

The CVT GUI allows you to decide what you want to happen when a redstone signal is applied. What's really sweet is you can specify exact gear ratios. Ideally you're constantly flipping from one ideal-state to another every X seconds (Timer + Latch or whatever does it for you)

Hey @DriftinFool, not only is stage 4 slow, it also has the most work to do :( :(
Stage 3 is in fact the slowest.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to set up a Rotarycraft processing chain as backup for the rarer materials, but it is so blazing fast that I run now everything from my QuarryPlus through it.

- 4x Magnetostatic Engines running at 2048 Nm, 2048 rad/s
- 1 CVT at 1xTorque, 32xSpeed
- 1 CVT at 16xSpeed, 32x Speed
- 2 EnderIO Reservoirs feeding water into the Extractor
- Rednet Controller to switch the CVTs between low and high speed every 1.5 to 2 secs. The "Low" speed is 2048 x 16 rad/sec, the High speed is 2048x32x32 rad/s.
- 3 ME Interfaces to export the ores and get the ingots (plus quartz, gems, whatever else is running through) back into the storage system.
- Everything controlled by Steve's Factory Manager

At the back end 3x Mekanism Elite Factories (7 input each, full speed and power upgrades) to keep up with the incoming stream of ore flakes. It's simply amazing how fast it is eating through a couple thousand blocks of ore. :)

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
While trying to learn rotary craft initially, I set up two arrays of steam engines to power two extractors. One handled stage 1&4 and the others handled 2&3. Factorization routers handled removing and inserting stuff into the correct slots. Gearing was relatively easy as it's just math. It was slow and cost tons of iron and I never got around to automating the canola farm as I had people on the server complaining about the enormous fps drop and noise in my base. But the pump and liquid pipes were fun/awesome. I ended up ripping out all the steam in favor of a couple magnetostatic engines hooked into some rf power.

Edited to add: Also, furnace heaters are amazing.