Rotary Craft Extractor Setup's

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Well, I actually try to avoid this kind of playstyle. That's why I'm retiring my single IC2 machine even though its Mek equivalent isn't quite as fast. However, I do not accept an obligation, moral or otherwise, to not play in this "abusive" way. If I use a set of machines of a mod rather than only one, it's either because it does what I want, it's otherwise useful or I like the style it does things. If I ask for support and get the answer "You circumvented the tech tree, your problem", that's of course your prerogative and since I understand your viewpoint, I wouldn't hold it against you, but yet again, I most emphatically reject any suggestion that I should play a certain way in my own worlds.
I am not telling you to play a certain way, only telling you that "you must do X to get content Y". How is that any different from other mods? I hate spending hours in GUIs. Does that mean I can accuse Azanor of "moralistically forcing me to play a certain way" for making things in ThaumCraft require research rather than piles of resources? I also hate mob combat. Should I complain to Benimatic that too many TF items are mob-drop-only?
Or spending time waiting for the RNG to give you favorable results. Does that mean the MystCraft "search ages for libraries" system of finding pages is XComp forcing me to play a certain way?

IC2 machines only draw power when they need it, as do TE's, Mekanism's, EnderIO's and pretty much any other tech mod's machines I know. RotaryCraft machines have no control over what power comes their way and it they don't need it, it's wasted, so that you have to design power control systems. I cannot see how this can be construed to be "no significant difference". Now I appreciate that RotaryCraft does things differently, but people act as if TE was unique (and as such, uniquely easy) in this. It is not. RotaryCraft is unique.
One, I said topologically.
Two, this is because the RC power system is supply-driven, not demand-driven like everything else. This is fundamental to the nature of shaft power.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I am not telling you to play a certain way, only telling you that "you must do X to get content Y". How is that any different from other mods?
It is not, except that the term "abuse" is being bandied around. That implies a judgment, and suggests that I should not do this "abusive" thing even where such is not prevented by design (which it can never be, not completely).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It is not, except that the term "abuse" is being bandied around. That implies a judgment, and suggests that I should not do this "abusive" thing even where such is not prevented by design (which it can never be, not completely).
The full sentence was to abuse the magnetostatic engine, not in any other way, and that is a major difference.
To continue the ThaumCraft analogy, say the Deconstruction table was far more powerful, because it did not break down aspects and had a 100% yield. If people started abusing that, exploiting it to gain thousands of research points for no effort, and then Azanor nerfed it to bring it to its current state, would that be a problem? It is exactly the same as the magnetostatics.

I would also like to say that had the magnetostatics been tiered and lubricant consuming from the beginning, neither you nor anyone else would be complaining. What I take that to mean is that these complaints are less about the actual nature/difficulty of the machine and more about losing a previously-viable shortcut.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The full sentence was to abuse the magnetostatic engine, not in any other way, and that is a major difference.
I would also like to say that had the magnetostatics been tiered and lubricant consuming from the beginning, neither you nor anyone else would be complaining. What I take that to mean is that these complaints are less about the actual nature/difficulty of the machine and more about losing a previously-viable shortcut.
That is, of course, quite true. Yet, for me personally it's not about losing a shortcut. I am beyond any shortcuts that might have benefitted me in my current game, and I'll start new ones on their own terms. I feel, however, that it is legitimate to be a little miffed that existing setups that use magnetostatic engines will become dysfunctional due to an update, and that existing compact builds where almost every block has a function might become nonfeasible and need to be redesigned.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That is, of course, quite true. Yet, for me personally it's not about losing a shortcut. I am beyond any shortcuts that might have benefitted me in my current game, and I'll start new ones on their own terms. I feel, however, that it is legitimate to be a little miffed that existing setups that use magnetostatic engines will become dysfunctional due to an update, and that existing compact builds where almost every block has a function might become nonfeasible and need to be redesigned.
I agree that having to redesign is irritating - trust me, it affects me too - but complaining is of little use. Neither you nor anyone else have a chance of overturning this decision.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Plugging a ReC turbine into a 16x on speed into a extractor will power it to the real max ;) 1 operation per tick on every stage :p

Bensa Ved

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft has seriously improved the enjoyability of my gameplay in FTB Monster. I wish I had gotten into it earlier, but I don't think I could keep up with it without my quarries and ME storage system.

I'm really just dropping in here to say thanks to @Reika, Carry on. =-)

(If my economic position improves, I owe you a donation, Reika.)

taintedcake003

Jul 29, 2019
@Reika earlier on in this thread (page 1 of comments) you posted a comment showing a video of a world you were in saying you tend to go for extreme endgame. Is there any chance you still have that world and could put it up for download, or possibly a new world in which you have similar things to in that world. I'm still relatively new to rotarycraft and am wanting to look at a good setup to learn from since that's the easiest way for me to learn.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@Reika earlier on in this thread (page 1 of comments) you posted a comment showing a video of a world you were in saying you tend to go for extreme endgame. Is there any chance you still have that world and could put it up for download, or possibly a new world in which you have similar things to in that world. I'm still relatively new to rotarycraft and am wanting to look at a good setup to learn from since that's the easiest way for me to learn.
That is a very old video of the world (more up-to-date videos can be found on my channel).

No, I cannot put it up for download. Not only is the save something like 6 GB, which would take stupidly long to upload, but it used old versions of several mods (notably TE3 and mekanism) and would break immediately on the new ones.

Reactions: taintedcake003

taintedcake003

Jul 29, 2019
That is a very old video of the world (more up-to-date videos can be found on my channel).

No, I cannot put it up for download. Not only is the save something like 6 GB, which would take stupidly long to upload, but it used old versions of several mods (notably TE3 and mekanism) and would break immediately on the new ones.

First off, I'd like to say sorry if asking for a world download came off rude in any way when it was rather obvious that the world was gonna be a massive file. :/

But ok, I'll definitely make sure to check out your channel then. I'm late game in the server I'm playing on and I've always wanted to learn RotaryCraft so I figured I'll just start messing with it since in the past I've just used magnetostatics to power a bedrock breaker. I went and tried to do that this time and saw you need to get the tier upgrades so that just added to my whole "lets try rotarycraft" attitude. So as of now all I've been doing is working my way up to the tier 5 upgrades, and am currently at tier 4 (have made 7 of the like 44 that I need) and once I finish these tier 4 and then tier 5 ones I plan to start looking for good guide videos on the mod that will teach me how to actually use it from the start of the game since the whole pulverizer, redstone furnace, etc. thing is getting kinda old.

Also, thanks for making such an awesome mod, and I will DEFINITELY have to look into some of your other mods. Once I have RotaryCraft down I plan to do ReactorCraft next since I've always done the same power gen (magmatic dynamos). Plus, the stuff in ReactorCraft just looks insane and would definitely be impressive to have as a source of power for friends to see on a server and I would never run out of power with it. Please keep up the hard work on your mods :) I've heard it can be stressful and is time consuming to make mods, but you are definitely making the right type of mods! Once again, thanks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote