Rotary Craft Extractor Setup's

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
90% of the RC complaints read something like "OMG WHY AM I BEING MADE TO DO MATH!?". :p

Honestly I do hate having Excel open when working with RotaryCraft. It breaks my rhythm. And no I don't think its sensible to expect everyone to do it on the fly in their heads, and I'm not really interested in how simple it is for some folks. So I wish it were possible to show the missing piece of the puzzle in any tooltips or in-game documentation:

Requirements:
Torque: 16nm
Power: 16384W
Speed: (at minimum Torque & Power) 1024 rad/s

Requirements:
Speed: 1024 rad/s
Torque: (at minimum Speed & Power) 16nm

There are my demands. In return I offer fuzzy warm feelings.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I do hate having Excel open when working with RotaryCraft. It breaks my rhythm. And no I don't think its sensible to expect everyone to do it on the fly in their heads, and I'm not really interested in how simple it is for some folks. So I wish it were possible to show the missing piece of the puzzle in any tooltips or in-game documentation:

Requirements:
Torque: 16nm
Speed: (at minimum Torque & Power) 1024 rad/s

Requirements:
Speed: 1024 rad/s
Torque: (at minimum Speed & Power) 16nm

There are my demands. In return I offer fuzzy warm feelings.

But you just math the two numbers together to get the third...
power/torque=speed
power/speed=torque
speed*torque=power

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
But you just math the two numbers together to get the third...
power/torque=speed
power/speed=torque
speed*torque=power
Nice use of math as a verb :p

I know how the math works. What I'd prefer is having the math done for me so I don't have to "math it" myself each time.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
They're all powers of two :D
...Siro you're giving me sadface :( <<<< See?

We still haven't done anything to remove the human factor from the calculations. I natter at Reika constantly about everything and bug him about every facet of his mod. I'm aware of the torque/speed correlations. I'm even aware that he kept it mindlessly simple by restricting it to powers of two, etc. But computers were built to do math. I'd like computers to do that very simple math for me.

It takes me almost an entire two seconds to figure out the math myself. That's two seconds I could be using swimming in lava or overcharging an industrial coil or any of the other myriad stupid things I tend to do.

Reactions: DriftinFool

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

We still haven't done anything to remove the human factor from the calculations. I natter at Reika constantly about everything and bug him about every facet of his mod. I'm aware of the torque/speed correlations. I'm even aware that he kept it mindlessly simple by restricting it to powers of two, etc. But computers were built to do math. I'd like computers to do that very simple math for me.

It takes me almost an entire two seconds to figure out the math myself. That's two seconds I could be using swimming in lava or overcharging an industrial coil or any of the other myriad stupid things I tend to do.

You're 90% of Reika's complaints, aren't you... :p

Reactions: Geometry and Pyure

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
When i used my extractor for some reason it does the iron dust then stops any help?
You have enough torque so stage 1 works, but stage 2 and 3 require high speed. Look up the machine in the RC handbook and it tells what power it needs for each stage. Little hint. All machines tell the power they need, but some only list torque or rad/s. Whatever is listed tells you which one is the most important. Some machines work faster with minimum torque while increasing speed. Others run faster by increasing torque while speed doesn't matter. For example, the fertilizer can spin at 1 rad/s and still have a massive range with just high torque. Spinning it super fast at low torque doesn't work as well on the same power. Where something like the isotope centrifuge cares less about torque. It can run at 1 Nm while spinning super fast. Increasing it's speed makes it faster.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com

If doing the math bothers you, memorize the chain from 1 to 67108864. Then it will be lightning-fast.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
If doing the math bothers you, memorize the chain from 1 to 67108864. Then it will be lightning-fast.
That's what I did. I just have a notepad with a single list from 1024 - 16777216. I understand using the power of 2's, but power of 10's sure would have made the math easier for non engineers and programmers. After the last few weeks of playing, I have about half the list memorized. :D

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That's what I did. I just have a notepad with a single list from 1024 - 16777216. I understand using the power of 2's, but power of 10's sure would have made the math easier for non engineers and programmers. After the last few weeks of playing, I have about half the list memorized. :D
Powers of two are much cleaner in code (and performance) and in math.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I power my extractor via solar power, and operate it on a day/night cycle rather than building a timer.

The solar array outputs a constant speed, variable torque power. I split the output, with a shaft junction, to ensure that 65kW of power is (during the day) going directly to a CVT that then feeds into the extractor. At night, a daylightsensor triggers the CVT to its alternative setting - one setting is torque based, and runs 1&4, the other CVT setting is speed based, and runs stages 2&3.

At night, power is supplied from an industrial coil that is controlled using the same daylight sensor. i.e. during the day it accepts the excess power that was previously split off the input power and charges up. at night it is programmed to discharge 1024rad/s at 65kW into a shaft junction placed just before the CVT.

For safety, a redstone comparator can switch to night time / "discharge" mode early if somehow it becomes overcharged, but the ratios are setup such that it gains slightly less power over a day than it discharges at night, so it should not be at risk of exploding.

The Solar array of course is outputting ~128kW of power during the day to maintain continuous operation (ignoring interruptions caused by inclement weather).

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I power my extractor via solar power, and operate it on a day/night cycle rather than building a timer.

The solar array outputs a constant speed, variable torque power. I split the output, with a shaft junction, to ensure that 65kW of power is (during the day) going directly to a CVT that then feeds into the extractor. At night, a daylightsensor triggers the CVT to its alternative setting - one setting is torque based, and runs 1&4, the other CVT setting is speed based, and runs stages 2&3.

At night, power is supplied from an industrial coil that is controlled using the same daylight sensor. i.e. during the day it accepts the excess power that was previously split off the input power and charges up. at night it is programmed to discharge 1024rad/s at 65kW into a shaft junction placed just before the CVT.

For safety, a redstone comparator can switch to night time / "discharge" mode early if somehow it becomes overcharged, but the ratios are setup such that it gains slightly less power over a day than it discharges at night, so it should not be at risk of exploding.

The Solar array of course is outputting ~128kW of power during the day to maintain continuous operation (ignoring interruptions caused by inclement weather).
^^
How to RotaryCraft properly. :)

Truga

Jul 29, 2019
Powers of two are much cleaner in code (and performance) and in math.
I have a suggestion for that.

Would it be possible to get a config option, that changes 1kW/krads/kNm from 1000 to 2^10? 2^20 for mega, 2^30 for giga, and so on? It'd make my life so much easier :V

Also, while I'm posting and since nobody seems to have noticed it in the other thread... I'm trying to get a gas turbine to shut down via ECU, but all it does is turn off the sound, while throttling itself to 100% and staying there until it runs out of fuel. Did I bork something while upgrading to v19b, or is this intended?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I have a suggestion for that.

Would it be possible to get a config option, that changes 1kW/krads/kNm from 1000 to 2^10? 2^20 for mega, 2^30 for giga, and so on? It'd make my life so much easier :V
No, because that is not what those terms mean.

Also, while I'm posting and since nobody seems to have noticed it in the other thread... I'm trying to get a gas turbine to shut down via ECU, but all it does is turn off the sound, while throttling itself to 100% and staying there until it runs out of fuel. Did I bork something while upgrading to v19b, or is this intended?
Is it producing power while shut down?