RFTools - Support and Suggestions

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey guys

Anyone here familiar with GT ore generation? Even though we cannot specifically use GT ores in dimlets (not surprising, they're weird), dimensions do still generate these ores naturally.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to create a cheap dimension that exploits these gigantic veins to make them easier to find.

I haven't tried anything yet but I'm wondering if one of the terrain dimlets or controller dimlets or something will make it really simple to find stuff. Possibly with no ground cover (trees or snow). Or, I dunno, something clever :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Hey guys

Anyone here familiar with GT ore generation? Even though we cannot specifically use GT ores in dimlets (not surprising, they're weird), dimensions do still generate these ores naturally.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to create a cheap dimension that exploits these gigantic veins to make them easier to find.

I haven't tried anything yet but I'm wondering if one of the terrain dimlets or controller dimlets or something will make it really simple to find stuff. Possibly with no ground cover (trees or snow). Or, I dunno, something clever :p
You might want to try Material None (which actually means default, i.e. stone), followed by Terrain Maze. If I correctly remember what the Terrain Maze dimlet does, it generates a dimension with normal, Overworld-style terrain, then removes all the stone and whatnot in certain, randomly-chosen chunks. The result is a whole lot of exposed stone going from ground level to bedrock.

Terrain Nearlands, as I recently found, is similar, except certain chunks are raised from ground level up to well above cloud height. Could be useful for those ores that generate above y-64, although Terrain Maze + Extreme Hills biome might handle both at once.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You might want to try Material None (which actually means default, i.e. stone), followed by Terrain Maze. If I correctly remember what the Terrain Maze dimlet does, it generates a dimension with normal, Overworld-style terrain, then removes all the stone and whatnot in certain, randomly-chosen chunks. The result is a whole lot of exposed stone going from ground level to bedrock.

Terrain Nearlands, as I recently found, is similar, except certain chunks are raised from ground level up to well above cloud height. Could be useful for those ores that generate above y-64, although Terrain Maze + Extreme Hills biome might handle both at once.
SE37, my post was barely intelligible, so you'll appreciate that I'm amazed I got such a perfect reply. Thanks kindly sir, that's what I was looking for. I'll try that asap.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
This is what I'm currently working on. This is going to be a modular storage system with options for filtering, sorting, different views and so on. You can also take out the module that contains the items and move it to another location easily. The reason I'm making this is that people requested a good dimlet storage system. I'm trying to make it more general but this will also be able to work with dimlets and if you have the appropriate 'dimlet' module in it then it will know how to sort on various dimlet criteria.

http://imgur.com/a/sBaoY

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is what I'm currently working on. This is going to be a modular storage system with options for filtering, sorting, different views and so on. You can also take out the module that contains the items and move it to another location easily. The reason I'm making this is that people requested a good dimlet storage system. I'm trying to make it more general but this will also be able to work with dimlets and if you have the appropriate 'dimlet' module in it then it will know how to sort on various dimlet criteria.

http://imgur.com/a/sBaoY
Very cool :)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
it's probably impossible to do, but I would like to suggest it anyways for the very small chance that perhaps it would be possible.

it's related to the dimensions and it's something I always wanted for Mystcraft. it's the option to preview a dimension before actually creating it.
the thing is if I try to create a custom dimension with all kinds of modifiers I don't want to end up creating numerous dimensions before finally getting the combination that I want.

if it was somehow possible to get a preview of a dimension that you're trying to create, you'll still be able to change the modifiers before finally creating the dimension.
and with preview I don't mean an actually way of going to that age and look around before creating the age, a few screenshots of the dimensions spawn would already be enough.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
if it was somehow possible to get a preview of a dimension that you're trying to create, you'll still be able to change the modifiers before finally creating the dimension.
and with preview I don't mean an actually way of going to that age and look around before creating the age, a few screenshots of the dimensions spawn would already be enough.

I think the best he could do is a random preview of a dimension you're likely to create, since I don't think the randomness is settled until you actually plonk it into the dimension builder. (I could be wrong, it could be enscribed right away and hidden from the user0

In this case though, previewing it repeatedly might give you totally different dimensions.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is indeed far from easy I'm afraid. Would be nice if possible though.
One tactic that might amuse you to implement might be to have the previewer machine create the dimension for free, but in such a way that it only persists for a very short while, cannot be charged, has a portal back home, and the player cannot leave the platform they start on.

This would be abstracting the notion of entering a holographic representation of the dimension.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
it's probably impossible to do, but I would like to suggest it anyways for the very small chance that perhaps it would be possible.

it's related to the dimensions and it's something I always wanted for Mystcraft. it's the option to preview a dimension before actually creating it.
the thing is if I try to create a custom dimension with all kinds of modifiers I don't want to end up creating numerous dimensions before finally getting the combination that I want.

There was a Mystcraft addon that I played with in 1.6, it let you see the area immediatly around the linking-in platform: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...stcraft-dynamic-link-panels-super-speedy-9000

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There was a Mystcraft addon that I played with in 1.6, it let you see the area immediatly around the linking-in platform: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...stcraft-dynamic-link-panels-super-speedy-9000
Yes, but then the dimension was actually already created. Something like that is something that I always wanted to do as a module in the screen system.

pretty much this. I already found the addon and used it, but it only creates a preview when the dimension has already been created.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I think I mostly finished with the basic Modular Storage system. I have more plans in the near future (more on that later) but this is the basis and I want it to be tested well before I put it into a real release because I'm doing some things I haven't done before in order to get this to work.

So if you want to help me test this a bit you can download the latest dev build from here:https://drone.io/github.com/McJty/RFTools/files

Warning! Do not do this on your real worlds or make a backup first.

What kind of feedback am I looking for:
  • Basic operations. Do you like the GUI, what can be improved. Suggestions and so on.
  • Does the storage system work well in combination with automated systems as a normal inventory. Does it work well with AE. No unexpected item losses or unexpected interactions.
  • Does it never under any circumstances delete or duplicate items. This is important of course. This includes things like removing the storage module while the chest is being filled and so on.
  • Does the system work well with mods like Inventory Tweaks and other mods that add functionality to inventories. I'm already aware of one weird issue with the mouse wheel while scrolling in my list of items. Sometimes it picks up an item there.
I have more plans for the near future but it is possible I will release RFTools in the stage it is right now (if no major bugs are found) and postpone the new features to a future release. Here is a list of plans:
  • Make remote access to these storage cells possible. To do this I would make a new block that can hold up to 4 storage modules but otherwise has no way to interact with items in the cells. Then there will be a 'remote storage module' which in itself contains no items but which you can link to a 'remote sender' or else to the storage module itself (have to decide that still). Then you can insert this 'remote storage module' in a modular storage block to get access to that remote inventory or else just right click it and have your remote access everywhere in the world (that will require power).
  • Add various modules for things like bees, thaumcraft aspects, and so on.
The current 'generic type module' is configurable in the rftools config. It has a very limited setup there. This section will have to grow a lot before it can classify enough items to be useful (food, machines, ...).

CypherAJ

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm back with a suggestion :)

If liquid name starts with "Fluid" or "Liquid", remove "Liquid" from the beginning of corresponding dimlet. Example: "Liquid Liquid Blueslime Dimlet" -> "Liquid Blueslime Dimlet".

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Hi, I'm back with a suggestion :)

If liquid name starts with "Fluid" or "Liquid", remove "Liquid" from the beginning of corresponding dimlet. Example: "Liquid Liquid Blueslime Dimlet" -> "Liquid Blueslime Dimlet".

Ok. I'll write this down. Luckily we have no liquid dimlets. Otherwise I would have had a 'Liquid Liquid Dimlet Dimlet'

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Ok. I'll write this down. Luckily we have no liquid dimlets. Otherwise I would have had a 'Liquid Liquid Dimlet Dimlet'

I am not sure if there are items that use fluid but liquid fluid something dimlet also doesn't sound that great.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

SE37, this was almost perfect. My first world generated a maze which carved down mazes to approximately level 40. Sadly it was all tainted/magical forest but the concept was there. I found high-elevation veins everywhere (bauxite, tetrahedrite, magnetite). Even found a single platinum vein (very rare).

Does anyone know if the depth of the maze is random? I'd love one to go down to level 20 or so or even bedrock.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
SE37, this was almost perfect. My first world generated a maze which carved down mazes to approximately level 40. Sadly it was all tainted/magical forest but the concept was there. I found high-elevation veins everywhere (bauxite, tetrahedrite, magnetite). Even found a single platinum vein (very rare).

Does anyone know if the depth of the maze is random? I'd love one to go down to level 20 or so or even bedrock.

It is not random but depends on the biome. It is still using biome height but reduced / elevated. So you can make it lower by using a plains biome or something.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It is not random but depends on the biome. It is still using biome height but reduced / elevated. So you can make it lower by using a plains biome or something.
Ooh I'll try that.

I took another tack on this. I tried doing a void dimension with giant orbs, looks good at a glance except most of the orbs are made out of crap that doesn't load ores (stained glass, etc.)

I tried making a dimension that I *thought* would strip out weird materials from the orbs, but I get a crashing NPE instead (tried 3x)

http://pastebin.com/Gg4r084h

Terrain Void
Material None
Feature Huge Orbs
Effect None
Structure None
Time Noon
Sky Body Red Sun
Sky Normal
Material Silicon
Feature Orbs

Specifically it looks like putting "Material None" where I did causes the crash. (I couldn't see a Material Stone, or I would have tried that and hoped GT ores generated in it)