Regarding Private Modpacks

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
BTW, Watchful11, honestly, Technic's method of doing it was on par with how most people did it previously. A link to a MultiMC instance, distributed to the users. Why is it suddenly bad when done through a launcher that's not MultiMC?
(And remember, private packs don't need permission any more than you downloading it for personal use does)
Inb4 "You must ask me personally for permission to use this mod for personal use!"

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Please just drop it, Lazdude. That question will only raise the fur for any sensitive user and make them pick up a fight for their godmodder. (that sounded creepily like godmother :p )

I would personally want to know, From A Modder!, why they are so afraid of exposure? Especially closed source one. Any modders wanna tag in?
Sorry Greenwolf, but you dont count, not just yet :)

Edit.
Inb4 "You must ask me personally for permission to use this mod for personal use!"
Drop this, my friend. It wont lead to anything good.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, Munaus, it's not a bad question. It works the same either way, but now that Technic lets you do it, it's suddenly "teh evils".

Reactions: Deimos56

Cozie

Jul 29, 2019
I was a bit more than 15mins to put this together eventualy :p (will never be finished)
and yea to bad I will probably won't use this system to the full potential. Since I can't get permission of some of the mods that are crucial for me.

respect etc ... yea some ppl will respect the wishes of the devs, some won't.
Heavily restricting mods on base of policy will in the end not change much. (see technic)

I hope some ppl will see the use of the private mod pack feature.
As I see less and less use for it, I'll just have to switch to a MultiMC/dropbox solution.

spartanyanni

Jul 29, 2019
I was a bit more than 15mins to put this together eventualy :p (will never be finished)
and yea to bad I will probably won't use this system to the full potential. Since I can't get permission of some of the mods that are crucial for me.

Heavily restricting mods on base of policy will in the end not change much. (see technic)

As I see less and less use for it, I'll just have to switch to a MultiMC/dropbox solution.
Now hold on there one second. Since when could you add Gregtech to a modpack without asking him for permissions. Someone call up GregoriousT for me . I'm gonna ask him very nicely why he created his mod to be incompatible with "ebil Technic" until Kaker asks for permissions for it simply to be compatible?
Edit: Forget what I said, thats what i get for questioning something without checking its legitimacy...

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019

Lol, yeah you did the pretty work. I just gave you an ugly looking document, that was mostly finished. :p hehe.

And laz, What do you consider the definition of 'personal use'?

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
are we really going to dig into it? The way it's defined standardly, I suppose. You, using it, personally, for you.

Mooseman9

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, seems like the minecraft modding community is at its shittiest yet. Looks like you're supposed to ask permission to use mods for personal use. I don't see why it's impossible to respect the mod devs without asking for permission to download the FREELY DISTRIBUTED LINK on their mod thread.

spartanyanni

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, seems like the minecraft modding community is at its shittiest yet. Looks like you're supposed to ask permission to use mods for personal use. I don't see why it's impossible to respect the mod devs without asking for permission to download the FREELY DISTRIBUTED LINK on their mod thread.
Agreed, asking for inclusion in a modpack is one thing, but having someone else asking for YOU to use it for personal use is another.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
BTW, Watchful11, honestly, Technic's method of doing it was on par with how most people did it previously. A link to a MultiMC instance, distributed to the users. Why is it suddenly bad when done through a launcher that's not MultiMC?
(And remember, private packs don't need permission any more than you downloading it for personal use does)
If no one knew you were "redistributing" a mod to a few friends of yours, no one would care. Even if no one actually knows what packs are going out, tekkit still added a feature to help people do it. It isn't really a problem, as I said, if no one knows, no one cares. But its the mentality. Tekkit is now helping people distribute mods without explicit consent.
If your okay with that, that's fine. I happen to not be okay with it.
And no one has ever said that private packs don't need permission. Most of the major mods allow you to, but that doesn't mean all of them do. BTW, private pack is not just for 3 friends. It could be for a server of a hundred people with a whitelist and application.
Please just drop it, Lazdude. That question will only raise the fur for any sensitive user and make them pick up a fight for their godmodder. (that sounded creepily like godmother )
I dunno, I thought it was a good question.

I would personally want to know, From A Modder!, why they are so afraid of exposure? Especially closed source one. Any modders wanna tag in?
Sorry Greenwolf, but you dont count, not just yet .
Agree. Someone like azanor or sirsengir.
Don't forget my first point. I think all modders should let people redistribute their mods.

Hell no. The minecraft modding community is doing great. Please please don't spew hate.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Watchful, is it? Any other modding community I've seen is less spiteful, less uppity, and more friendly in general. The Minecraft modding community is fine on the surface, but there's an alarming amount of venom underneath.

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
Laz, private packs are totally different then personal use. Totally apples and oranges, as private packs you are still distributing in one way or another, where personal use is for your own use. Big huge difference.

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Shouldn't be, hence the private. In theory, the modders, along with most people, shouldn't even know of a private pack's existence.

kylemcqueen75

Nov 4, 2012
Watchful, is it? Any other modding community I've seen is less spiteful, less uppity, and more friendly in general. The Minecraft modding community is fine on the surface, but there's an alarming amount of venom underneath.
Just to throw in my own opinion here, and no one take this to heart please, the minecraft modding community seems pretty laid back to me, for example when I was gathering permissions I was really surprised at the reply time and manner that mod authors talked to me (before I had this nice ftb post) and were willing to give my mod-pack a chance with out more than a please and thank you. The only place I seem to think of more negative, is technicpack.net, and that's mainly because of how large the community has become and the strict rules. Over all tho, the community for modding MC seems very....laid back. *sorry for any typos, I'm using a tablet*

EDIT: GAWD THERE WAS A LOT OF TYPOS :p (Fixed Now)

Reactions: Ashzification

afa7336

Jul 29, 2019
Shouldn't be, hence the private. In theory, the modders, along with most people, shouldn't even know of a private pack's existence.

But past experiences have shown that isn't always the case. Also your use of private is actually wrong in this case. Just because it has the word private, doesn't mean that you should in theory do what you want. A Private Club for instance, or a Private Bar don't allow certain things. (Yes I know, that truly is apples and oranges, sorta).

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
If you're referring to Technic there, yes. It was a private pack. And yes, it went viral. There are 2 key differences here:
1. Technic wasn't really that private. It was posted on a public forum.
2. At the time, Technic was one-of-a-kind. There was nothing similar to Technic out there, so people went for it. Today, nobody would want my server pack, because the FTB packs and Tekkit Lite are objectively better. They're updated, they've got better configs, but they don't let you play on JSTRCraft. Only the JSTRCraft pack does.

The only people who want to use JSTRCraft are its intended audience, because it's simply no good for anyone else.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Laz, private packs are totally different then personal use.
To expand on this viewpoint:
[EVERYTHING FROM HERE ON OUT IS HYPOTHETICAL, NOT ACTUAL EVENTS]
Example 1: I own a server. I only want some mods on it, and I want it to be easy for my members to use and download. I do not get permission to make this private party modpack for my server. I have, lets say, a total of 50 players who are whitelisted on my server. I ban one of them. They get pissy and redistribute the modpack that I put together (without permission) so that all of their friends have it too.
Example 2: I own a server. I only want some mods on it, and I want it to be easy for my members to use and download. I do receive permission to make this private party modpack for my server. I have, lets say, the same total of 50 players who are whitelisted on my server. I ban one of them. They redistribute the modpack (or in FTB's case, the pass code) to their friends.
Both examples result in a disgruntled player redistributing the mod packs. The big difference being, in example 1 I act completely disrespectful, in every aspect, to the modding community as a whole, whereas, in example 2 I respect the wishes and talent of the people who worked on it.

As I stated before, it's rude and disrespectful to take things without permission.
Let's take the same concept and apply it to a different aspect of life: My friends dad buys himself a pretty new car. I really want to take it for a spin. The keys are in the ignition, in his driveway, the car is unlocked. I take the car. You know what's going to happen? I'm going to end up having the cops called on me for stealing his car, regardless of intent.
For those who have a hard time with analogies: the car = mod, the keys = the mod being downloadable. What happens? I stole the car.

Or, the example I gave during my last discussion about this. I write a program (in this case a mod). I upload this program (mod) to a website (such as github, or MCF). You download it, with intent to redistribute (taking a mod to include in a modpack). You did not ask if you could use/redistribute it. No credit is given, but now, you suddenly have a virus on your computer. It's not my fault. You took it, with the intent to redistribute. You never asked if you could, nor did you give me credit for the creation. Sorry pal, you have no one to blame for your now dead computer.

The last example is a little rough around the edges, but the coin has two sides. If I can take credit for something, I can also take blame for the aftermath.

But as said earlier in this discussion, it all comes down to respect for the mod authors. I don't think I could ever have the skill set that these men and women use to make their mods. I hope one day to learn even a fraction of the knowledge that they have. Until then, you can bet I respect the skills they put into the work they do.

(This next part actually happened, it is not hypothetical)
An example regarding the idea of respect. Prior to my husband asking me to marry him, he asked my father for permission. Out of respect. Now, my family respects my husband for his past actions.
It's a two-way street. Respect is just like trust, you don't just get it because you participated. You have to earn it.

Edit: Any further opinions of mine that are given after this statement, and referring to this statement, have a high likelihood of being opinions regarding issues in society as a whole.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Let's take the same concept and apply it to a different aspect of life: My friends dad buys himself a pretty new car. I really want to take it for a spin. The keys are in the ignition, in his driveway, the car is unlocked. I take the car. You know what's going to happen? I'm going to end up having the cops called on me for stealing his car, regardless of intent.
For those who have a hard time with analogies: the car = mod, the keys = the mod being downloadable. What happens? I stole the car.
Yes, but the difference is that in this case, the mod owner still has their mod. It would be like stealing a car, but the person you stole it from still keeps their car. So really, it's more like I conjure an exact duplicate of your car and drive off with it, not I drive off with your car.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite the same, but this is not a real life scenario. It's both of your works, and not everyone wins in these ones.
(HYPOTHETICAL)
MMkay here's a different one then
You helped create the John Smiths Tech Remix texture pack.
Example 1: I took your texture pack. I downloaded it, and redistributed it with my name attached not yours. I didn't give you any credit, at all. How would that make you feel?

One for you too
Example 2: I took Magecraft. I finished it. I distributed it without any mention of you, the person who came up with the idea, and poured hours upon hours of time into it. How would you feel about that?

In both cases, I take your hard work, I give it away, and I disrespect your talent, and nullify any work you put into it. I didn't ask for your permission, I didn't respect your talent and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.