Redpower Lags Client

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
@ NightKev - Thanks for the response, all that makes sense and I had a feeling the portal guns weren't causing any issues after the see through feature being removed...What sucks is that it's hard to convince the other guys on our server that what they thought was causing server lag really wasnt.

Oh and by open world pumps i just meant pumps in general. Example, when we started out we had a pump in the ocean...over time, it was sucking the source blocks from the shore and made that shore look like it had more and more moving water. I'm not 100% if that caused lag but it might have...jsut like i've heard that sucking that lava out of the nether will cause the same effect over time.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Also, our server admin is convinced about certain things that cause massive lag but I can't find out any concrete proof anywhere. Things he's mentioned include: Wrath Lamps, long BC pipes, inverted / non-inverted lamps, timers, portal gun portals, open world pumps (water / lava), crystal chests, chunk loaders, and a few other things I can't currently recall. We experience server lag spikes every once in awhile, but it's hard to tell whether they're from world generation, or any of the above. It all leaves me wondering what the point to any of these mods are if they are going to taint our MC experience with these issues.
Find a server whose admin has a clue. None of these should cause any server-side problems unless horribly abused.

(A pump in the middle of an ocean classifies as a horrible abuse oh my lord what were you thinking!)

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Find a server whose admin has a clue. None of these should cause any server-side problems unless horribly abused.

(A pump in the middle of an ocean classifies as a horrible abuse oh my lord what were you thinking!)

A water pump powered well enough (as in, better than some redstone engines) will take water blocks fast enough that new water blocks are not able to generate and cause the exact same lag issues as lava pumps in the nether. Since the poster didn't say "abuse", that's something you added on your own, and instead called it lag causing, and large quantities of flowing blocks are known to cause lag, it's a legitimate statement.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
A lava pump (regardless of how many people like or don't like it) gives you a substantial benefit, maintenance-free energy source that can be used for both BC and IC power generation. But there is literally nothing you gain by an ocean pump over an aqueous accumulator (or a 5x5 pool of water if you for some reason don't have TE), you are only taxing the server, for no good reason.

And yes, if every single person on the server puts up their own chunkloaded lava pump in their own private lake, the server won't be too happy either. But it's not the worst of things, certainly not as server-crashing as BC pipes spitting items everywhere or T5 spawners left unchecked.

Aragon0

Jul 29, 2019
I also ran into this issue, I get only about 40 FPS in our base.
Specs:
Server:
32GB RAM
1GBit Link (LAN)
Intel Core i7 3770K (8Cores OC to 4.2 GHz)
SSD 500MB/s
Whole Server directory on RamDisk
PC:
Same as Server
GTX 670 OC to 1.2 GHz
Whole FTB installation on RamDisk

Both run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, tested with Sun Java 8 and 7 and OpenJDK, didn't matter, only a few FPS more or less (1-3).
With this specs, there really shouldn't be a problem (BF3 on ultra gets 60+ FPS).
Something is messed up with Redpower, until we did something with it, everything was ok.
I hope that Elooram will release a fix soon.

Aragon0

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Was a necrobump really necessary? This topic is no longer favourable to discuss. It's been discussed enough. the first post was 13/2/13. We don't need to discuss this anymore. Redpower will be Redpower. The lag is caused by her complex textures and lighting updates and animations. The relay is a bit bugged, but we can wait on 1.5.