Red Power 2 status?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
Or, even more condensed: [citation needed].

Except everything except the lawyer thing is the truth. Minecraft mods can only be created by decompiling and deobfuscating copyrighted code and then illegally redistributing said changes. While Forge mods technically avoid this, Forge itself is illegal, since contains Mojang's code. Oh noes!

The Minecrafting modding community runs on breaking the law and hypocrisy. That's the truth.

Cue the bitter mod fanboys explain in great detail why their mod author is in the right.

Reactions: atheneftw

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
my apologies for the lawyer accusation.

regarding minecraft, I guess, their point of view is quite simple: you can mod the program as you wish and redistribute the mod. and they seem to be quite nice to modders, even if the mods contain original files.

as long as the users have a valid minecraft account.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
In short, my opinion is:
If there's cool stuff currently WITHOUT RP2, imagine WITH IT!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
So everything about RP2 has a counterpart except for frames, from what I've heard. All I'm concerned about is the logic. What's replacing the redpower compact logic?

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
Except everything except the lawyer thing is the truth. Minecraft mods can only be created by decompiling and deobfuscating copyrighted code and then illegally redistributing said changes. While Forge mods technically avoid this, Forge itself is illegal, since contains Mojang's code. Oh noes!

The Minecrafting modding community runs on breaking the law and hypocrisy. That's the truth.

Except of course Mojang has given consent to this. The key difference between a modder making a mod and a wank being disrespectful and angering those of us that like to believe there are still morals out there is that the modder has permission, the wank does not.

Again, if he is using it as a learning experience then good on him. However, the only point of releasing screenshots would be to advertise and get people interested. So I am more inclined to go with he is a wank.

Unfortunately you are set in your ways, and we are set in ours. You either feel that since we have mods we should ignore other people's wishes, or that we are all hypocrites and thusly should be ignored. Since you decided to mutter an insult at the end of your post you clearly have no points to argue, or at least none to listen to.

Reactions: KirinDave

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Except of course Mojang has given consent to this. The key difference between a modder making a mod and a wank being disrespectful and angering those of us that like to believe there are still morals out there is that the modder has permission, the wank does not.

So it's immoral to continue a mod against the original author's wishes but it's not 'immoral' for the original author to refuse anyone the ability to continue a mod?

I'm sorry but I really can't say I would feel sorry for Elo if she would really try to block anyone from continueing her work. What option would there be, just delete the code and pretend it was never there?

What if that would happen to BuildCraft for example. A lot of mods depend on it. Would it not be immoral for that author to say "screw you guys, BC is GONE and so are all the mods that depend on it".

Don't get me wrong, I love RP2 and I love the amount of time Elo invested in it. But what would she gain from letting a mod die? So untill she gives any word on her plans I'm assuming she's consenting to people that try to help her by making the mod up to data for 1.5.x.

Reactions: Eunomiac

martyyp

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to keep it in if everything worked great (meaning bugs get smashed) and it keeps up to date with the other mods. I completely love the redpower cabling for example. Unfortunately Eloraam seems to be unable to spend time and also seems to be unable to let anyone else help her update.
Yeah, same. Everything that's useful in her mod seems to have a bug lol (relays=fps bug, canvas bag=dupe bug, etc).

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Sure RedPower has had some of its functions replaced elsewhere. But RedPower just feels very polished, aside from a few crashes it all works and is easy to work with.

People will complain about how its disrespectful, illegal, immoral, but at the end of the day, your defending a couple sentences written by a person that has no time to update anyways. If you honestly think Eloraam is still working on her update, then how naive can you be?

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013

That makes the whole 'don't touch my code' crap worse! Mojang are being cool, and then modders are turning around and acting like their mod code is specialer than Minecraft's code. Modders are dependent on Mojang's kindness*, yet most are perfectly happy not to extend that to others. Part me want Mojang to forbid non-API mods if the official API comes out, just to see the reaction.

Again, if he is using it as a learning experience then good on him. However, the only point of releasing screenshots would be to advertise and get people interested. So I am more inclined to go with he is a wank.

Unfortunately you are set in your ways, and we are set in ours. You either feel that since we have mods we should ignore other people's wishes, or that we are all hypocrites and thusly should be ignored. Since you decided to mutter an insult at the end of your post you clearly have no points to argue, or at least none to listen to.

Self awareness. Yet another thing this community lacks. Them insults clearly mean you have no point by your own logic! Oh noes!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Is there another mod that offers functionality similar to RP2 frames? I'm thinking hard about dumping RP2 on our server, and that's one concern for our players.

Complex Machines is taking up that torch.[DOUBLEPOST=1369503196][/DOUBLEPOST]
No timer in MFR Rednet.
Well there is, but it can't go very slow.

What are you talking about? There are a bunch more timers in RedNet, it also has programmable timers. You can vary the period of the timer in response to Redstone signals.

In terms of Redstone logic, MFR's system is powerful and fairy unprecedented. Only the PLC MD ever came close to what it can do. RP2 hasn't been in this race for a long time.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
So everything about RP2 has a counterpart except for frames, from what I've heard. All I'm concerned about is the logic. What's replacing the redpower compact logic?

If you don't mind a little code, you can make CC computers into logic gates...even serve a double purpose, wireless logic gates, all rolled into one. I think MFR has somethin called RedNet...dunno what that's all about, but I'm sure someone else could cover it better than me. I know that PowerCraft has compact logic gates that are much, much simpler to craft than RP2 logic, though I think they're limited to being placed on the floor, but that's not a huge drawback.

But, if you're looking for something that can fulfill multiple roles, is almost infinitely customizable in function, and can do it all wirelessly, ComputerCraft and Lua are your best friends.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't mind a little code, you can make CC computers into logic gates...even serve a double purpose, wireless logic gates, all rolled into one. I think MFR has somethin called RedNet...dunno what that's all about, but I'm sure someone else could cover it better than me. I know that PowerCraft has compact logic gates that are much, much simpler to craft than RP2 logic, though I think they're limited to being placed on the floor, but that's not a huge drawback.

But, if you're looking for something that can fulfill multiple roles, is almost infinitely customizable in function, and can do it all wirelessly, ComputerCraft and Lua are your best friends.

Sorry for reposting what i posted earlier but I'm developing a logic gates program and its in my sig :D
sorry for the repetitive advertising haha

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Current RP3 Status: lulz

Im a bit amused how a lot of people sound like they are getting over an old girlfriend when talking about RP. All the ways we dont need RP anymore, and there are other mods in the sea. Most people that have used RP know its amazing and want her back, even if she had some flaws. And some are just filled with a bitter hate that they themselves cant really explain.

Reactions: kilteroff

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Current RP3 Status: lulz

Im a bit amused how a lot of people sound like they are getting over an old girlfriend when talking about RP. All the ways we dont need RP anymore, and there are other mods in the sea. Most people that have used RP know its amazing and want her back, even if she had some flaws. And some are just filled with a bitter hate that they themselves cant really explain.

QFT lol, "other mods in the sea" ... rp2 recovery / support group.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
I have no problem with someone messing around on their own computer and showing off screenshots. He has not given and indication that he's going to finish it or distribute it, so just let the kid have his fun, eh?
I can't believe it took this long for a voice of reason to make an appearance.

you'd have to be terribly naive to believe that he won't distribute it once he's finished.
The kid posted some pictures! For all you know, he's a huge fan of Eloram and her work, has nothing but great respect for her, and wouldn't dream of publicly defying a well-liked mod author's polite and reasonable wishes.

Or maybe he's afraid of bees.

Or maybe he's an agressive internet predator who's imprisoned my family and forced me to sing his praises at gunpoint no seriously send hel

Reactions: kilteroff

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
The kid posted some pictures! For all you know, he's a huge fan of Eloram and her work, has nothing but great respect for her, and wouldn't dream of publicly defying a well-liked mod author's polite and reasonable wishes.
As I said, you'd have to be terribly naive to think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.