Recommended Mods for 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
So we are only about 6 mods or so from a 1.5.1(or 1.5.2) update. So while we wait for the updates my friends and I are planning out the mods we will add to our direwolf20 server. We are discussing Gregtech, hats, translocator, minechem, mo creatures and a couple others. But I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for new mods to try out in 1.5.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Atum, Tinker's Construct, Natura. Also, DW20 pack might not be updating for a while so Dire can finish his current season on 1.4.7

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Atum, Tinker's Construct, Natura. Also, DW20 pack might not be updating for a while so Dire can finish his current season on 1.4.7
Well the way he was talking about it it seemed that he wanted to update to 1.5 unless any of the mods didnt update

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
What Omega said. Also having a lot of fun with Ars Magica. And yeah, I'm having trouble imagining Dire updating without RedPower 2.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
What Omega said. Also having a lot of fun with Ars Magica. And yeah, I'm having trouble imagining Dire updating without RedPower 2.
Well I wouldnt update without RP2 either, but who says RP2 isn't being updated?

celo747

Jul 29, 2019
is there any chance mod packs will get updates to add more mods to the current version

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
is there any chance mod packs will get updates to add more mods to the current version
Im guessing no at this point, I really hope it won't be long now, the only modder that seems to be "missing" is reliquary

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
Im guessing no at this point, I really hope it won't be long now, the only modder that seems to be "missing" is reliquary
okay 1: modder = x3no, mod=reliquary
2:isn't shdwdrgn the soulshards fellow still mia?

3: you might try taking an eyeball at gencreator. i thought it was a stupid little novice mod at first, but then discovering i could assemble structures using both vanilla and mod blocks in game, and set them up to spawn in specific biomes with specific odds while still in the game from a handy gui with lists, AND export and import those spawnable structure settings between worlds.. well. lets just say i like the idea of running across a buried version of some of my old starter bases when i least expect it right up there with finding a stronghold or extensive mineshaft system. bonus points for being able to set up mobs to spawn in the structure when it occurs, and to enable randomized lot or permanent lootsets for the chests. biggest happymaking point? creating randomly spawning structures with machines on the ground not in a chest. finally a reason to keep that wrench handy while mining. might not be for everyone but hey you wanted things that might be neat to toy with.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
okay 1: modder = x3no, mod=reliquary
2:isn't shdwdrgn the soulshards fellow still mia?

3: you might try taking an eyeball at gencreator. i thought it was a stupid little novice mod at first, but then discovering i could assemble structures using both vanilla and mod blocks in game, and set them up to spawn in specific biomes with specific odds while still in the game from a handy gui with lists, AND export and import those spawnable structure settings between worlds.. well. lets just say i like the idea of running across a buried version of some of my old starter bases when i least expect it right up there with finding a stronghold or extensive mineshaft system. bonus points for being able to set up mobs to spawn in the structure when it occurs, and to enable randomized lot or permanent lootsets for the chests. biggest happymaking point? creating randomly spawning structures with machines on the ground not in a chest. finally a reason to keep that wrench handy while mining. might not be for everyone but hey you wanted things that might be neat to toy with.
Yeah that was a typo. Well shadow dragon updated forge IRC recently, which means he is probably working on Soul Shards.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Some good mods to add to any pack are Tinker's Construct, MFR, and Minechem. They're pretty basic, simple mods that improve the core experience without making you advance through some huge tech tree of 60 items.

Reactions: whizzball1

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Infernal mobs: makes hardcore much more... Difficult. Who doesn't like a random zombie tossing fireballs at you!?

Extra utilities: some great blocks and a virtually lag free pipe system

Better world gen 4: because its just better, and compatible with both BoP and xbxl.

And of course, arsmagica, tconstruct, natura, and immibis micro blocks.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Some good mods to add to any pack are Tinker's Construct, MFR, and Minechem. They're pretty basic, simple mods that improve the core experience without making you advance through some huge tech tree of 60 items.
Yeah tinkers construct is going to be added according to direwolf himself. Oddly though I wasnt really that impressed with that mod. It looks really cool and well made but I cant really see myself using the stuff after a couple days. MFR is a lot of fun but it really just seems to add a lot of easier methods of doing things. While its a great mod on its own there is a lot of overlap with FTB and some methods become obsolete. However some of the 1.5 stuff looks cool, like rednet so I might use it. I do love minechem but I think it might be time to let it go, it seems that every time it "updates" its just forked by another modder who abandoned it later and nothing gets added. We are gonna try to keep this world going for a long time and Minechem doesnt seem very forwards compatible.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I will second Ars Magica. Not only is the magic system fun, but it also generates various buildings out in the wild that makes exploration fun, plus magic powered machinery.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah tinkers construct is going to be added according to direwolf himself. Oddly though I wasnt really that impressed with that mod. It looks really cool and well made but I cant really see myself using the stuff after a couple days. MFR is a lot of fun but it really just seems to add a lot of easier methods of doing things. While its a great mod on its own there is a lot of overlap with FTB and some methods become obsolete. However some of the 1.5 stuff looks cool, like rednet so I might use it. I do love minechem but I think it might be time to let it go, it seems that every time it "updates" its just forked by another modder who abandoned it later and nothing gets added. We are gonna try to keep this world going for a long time and Minechem doesnt seem very forwards compatible.
I personally love Tinker's Construct, it gives a lot more diversity to tools, and it's accessible from the start. :)

And you're right about Minechem. I've tried to like the mod, it seems like a good side-hobby/collection, but it just doesn't get good updates.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I will second Ars Magica. Not only is the magic system fun, but it also generates various buildings out in the wild that makes exploration fun, plus magic powered machinery.
Yeah, direwolf said he was gonna add it already, but we are adding it regardless. It is awesome[DOUBLEPOST=1367033107][/DOUBLEPOST]
Infernal mobs: makes hardcore much more... Difficult. Who doesn't like a random zombie tossing fireballs at you!?

Extra utilities: some great blocks and a virtually lag free pipe system

Better world gen 4: because its just better, and compatible with both BoP and xbxl.

And of course, arsmagica, tconstruct, natura, and immibis micro blocks.
Good suggestions, infernal mobs doesnt really fit the server plus ars magica and mo creatures are bad enough. I will probably have extra utilities on my client because I love the green screen and BUD blocks. Better world gen just crashes for me....

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest you look at other Biome mods than XL. XL is good, but its aging. Biomes o Plenty is a better option currently, but this is only relevant if youre making a new world, but when that is relevant, its one of the most important things to consider, as youre not likely going to be changing that afterward.

The bit I played with Ars Magica was interesting as well

Edit: Okay what is with the random-ass font bug that changes the font size on this forum?

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Well I wouldnt update without RP2 either, but who says RP2 isn't being updated?
Frankly, a lot of people are saying just that, if you look around the forums a bit. I'm not on the RP2 hate train myself, but I'm not aware of any updates other than "I'm back" from Eloramm. Could be soon, could be months before it updates; plain truth is we don't know. The problem is, while I really don't care about 1.5.1 Minecraft, I do care about the updates for the mods I like, and all of them require 1.5.1. I really hope RP2 gets updated in a timely manner, but I'm making plans to move on without it.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I would suggest you look at other Biome mods than XL. XL is good, but its aging. Biomes o Plenty is a better option currently, but this is only relevant if youre making a new world, but when that is relevant, its one of the most important things to consider, as youre not likely going to be changing that afterward.

The bit I played with Ars Magica was interesting as well
Edit: Okay what is with the random-ass font bug that changes the font size on this forum?
I have been avoiding BOP for a couple reasons, although every time it updates and gets more awesome biomes I get even more jealous of the people that use it. In the past it has not had nearly the amount of compatibility of EXBL. I know there are some addons now, and that some mods like mo creatures have built in compatibility. But there are still a few things that dont have support yet in FTB. The other thing is didn't the mod author "quit" at least once. Like I said we want to keep the world for a while so forwards compatibility is important. Extra biomes just overall seems a lot more stable. The other thing is that while the biomes are cool most of them arent good for building. So since there are SOOOO many biomes you have to spend a lot more time for a place to build a base, or you have to terraform everything. although when he "quit" he gave EBXL permission to use stuff from his mod and sort of merge them. So EBXL 4 might be even more awesome

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Frankly, a lot of people are saying just that, if you look around the forums a bit. I'm not on the RP2 hate train myself, but I'm not aware of any updates other than "I'm back" from Eloramm. Could be soon, could be months before it updates; plain truth is we don't know. The problem is, while I really don't care about 1.5.1 Minecraft, I do care about the updates for the mods I like, and all of them require 1.5.1. I really hope RP2 gets updated in a timely manner, but I'm making plans to move on without it.
Redpower and Wireless redstone are my favorites mods, and IMO playing a tech modpack without them is like playing without forge. I know everyone is "going to add" replacements for tubes, red wire, frames, etc. However I haven't seen any good replacements yet.Also taking away bundled cable greatly reduces the functionality of computercraft. Not to mention block breakers, deployers, relays, sortrons, project tables, gems, sickles, volcanos, marble, bags, flax, indigo flowers, athames, RP enchantments, etc. So I will not move forward until either RP updates, a compatible mod that has a good replacement for everything comes out (which we all know is never gonna happen), or Elo says she is quitting.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower and Wireless redstone are my favorites mods, and IMO playing a tech modpack without them is like playing without forge. I know everyone is "going to add" replacements for tubes, red wire, frames, etc. However I haven't seen any good replacements yet.Also taking away bundled cable greatly reduces the functionality of computercraft. Not to mention block breakers, deployers, relays, sortrons, project tables, gems, sickles, volcanos, marble, bags, flax, indigo flowers, athames, RP enchantments, etc. So I will not move forward until either RP updates, a compatible mod that has a good replacement for everything comes out (which we all know is never gonna happen), or Elo says she is quitting.
That being said, would you be okay with using a 1.4.7 version that has RP:2 in it, while the rest of us get an update to 1.5.1? I know it's not likely to happen, but it's really a win-win. If there is no RP:2 to add, it's not just skipping RP:2. It'll be added in a later version, you know? it'd just give other people the chance to play with the other mods. :)