Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
317a9f4.jpg

Seriously, make the modding api, let us fix all the bugs. Simple!

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
Provided the API is actually extensive enough to allow for this :D

True I guess, not just "Here is the api. Currently it allows you to make boats out of any material in the game. Also you can't change their durability yet, that comes in a later version, have fun!"

Mysticmage11

Jul 29, 2019
If there's one thing I've realized while looking at this thread,
It's that the community of Feed the Beast, and modding in general, is pure awesome.
Yes, we have some bad apples, but every community does. We just so happen to have fewer than most.
Whenever someone makes a post asking for help (as I've done several times), several people immediately find a solution and provide the steps to reach it. I've never seen a more helpful group of people.

Modders: The fact that you'll see modders everywhere is amazing. It's not like a forum for (some triple-A-game), where you don't see any developers at all and when they appear they don't say anything. On this forum, modders are everywhere, from helping with suggestions to... uh... looking at crash reports to see what happened (and find that there is DRM). Amazing. Plus you guys actually give sneak peaks and talk about what's happening with your mods. Also amazing.

10/10 best community EVER

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
If there's one thing I've realized while looking at this thread,
It's that the community of Feed the Beast, and modding in general, is pure awesome.
Yes, we have some bad apples, but every community does. We just so happen to have fewer than most.
Whenever someone makes a post asking for help (as I've done several times), several people immediately find a solution and provide the steps to reach it. I've never seen a more helpful group of people.

Modders: The fact that you'll see modders everywhere is amazing. It's not like a forum for (some triple-A-game), where you don't see any developers at all and when they appear they don't say anything. On this forum, modders are everywhere, from helping with suggestions to... uh... looking at crash reports to see what happened (and find that there is DRM). Amazing. Plus you guys actually give sneak peaks and talk about what's happening with your mods. Also amazing.

10/10 best community EVER
Same with many of the irc channels people hang out in, there are almost always people willing to lend a hand with crashes or issues as well as dev's being willing to listen to people's ideas and suggestions.
I am very happy to be a member of said community and hope to also see it continue to grow and develop :).

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019

That was a short lived stay

It is my opinion and my opinion alone that it's his pack. He should be able to say that servers can't sell items and be able to enforce that on the forums that he moderates for. But this is more a discussion for RED than here.
You guys want to move this over here?

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
When you put this into perspective, it's all just ridiculous. I mean, there are people out there who give a lot of money to play with blocks in a game they already own, from mods they can use for free if they simply click "singleplayer" instead of "multiplayer". And it's sometimes like $25 a block, which just seems insane to me. The people making the money generally don't give any of that back to the modders who make the mods, which goes against all the old notions of greasing the palms of those who create the content which keeps them in business to begin with. And the people buying the blocks would rather give money to someone who didn't make the content rather than the ones who did, which similarly works against their own interests because it doesn't encourage the modders to keep making the content they enjoy, while being single-handedly responsible for those servers existing to begin with by throwing away the money. Then you have the modder, who has the least horses in the race of anyone, since they gave the mod away for free and can keep enjoying the game/mod regardless of whether they release their content publicly, who sits back and watches this mess unfold, and see people abuse/be abused with their own creation.

Only Minecraft.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
"No one's been able to explain why it's our (the community's) job to save microsoft."
http://pastebin.com/dfMVLeZX

It's your community because if a server is breaking eula using your launcher you are complicit in that act. Microsoft could sue all the parties involved.
The facilitation of a crime is also a crime.

Reactions: PierceSG

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
"No one's been able to explain why it's our (the community's) job to save microsoft."

It's your community because if a server is breaking eula using your launcher you are complicit in that act. Microsoft could sue all the parties involved.
Microsoft could sue, but just because Microsoft owns Mojang now doesn't mean that Mojang hasn't become more enthused in any of its pursuits other than "update endlessly and recklessly".

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019

I don't usually go into these kinds of brambles in public, but no, Microsoft could not credibly sue Technic (or FTB if we didn't pull the listings for that matter) over this. Section 230(c)(1) of the Communications Decency Act provides federal civil indemnity to the service provider chain (so long as they aren't active participants and infringers themselves directly) for one, and for two the forum itself is not a party or signatory to any EULA as a forum by itself is not an end user and this is entirely about EULA enforcement. Mere violation of a EULA is not a matter for criminal courts but for civil dispute (as much as some software companies would love to criminalize such a thing, no doubt), and thus the CDA immunity stands. The worst Microsoft/Mojang can pull out in this situation if they went into a hypothetical full-on scorched earth is (a) revocation of the server operator in question's license rights, which then leads to (b) running around to any and all providers said user goes to and having them take down the server(s) put up (because at the point where the rights are revoked, DMCA now comes into play for the server executable assets themselves, but only for the actual server hosts). Anybody conjecturing any further on the legal front needs to learn and recognize such terms as cause of action and standing in the context of a courtroom proceeding, in addition to the difference between civil and criminal proceedings when it comes to these kinds of claims.

This of course is only the legal angle and not the angle of decency and community goodwill, but I'm not going to go there because that's been a pulverized equine for years now and nobody's going to change their minds about that.