Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I get the desire to make things as efficient as possible, but throwing farming completely behind a GUI takes one of my favourite activities and turns it into... Something that isn't an activity at all? If my entire world is "set and forget" there's not that much point imho. Talking with KL they are definitely mid to late game machines though and still encourage a fair amount of infrastructure to set up and maintain so we'll see :)

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
I get the desire to make things as efficient as possible, but throwing farming completely behind a GUI takes one of my favourite activities and turns it into... Something that isn't an activity at all? If my entire world is "set and forget" there's not that much point imho. Talking with KL they are definitely mid to late game machines though and still encourage a fair amount of infrastructure to set up and maintain so we'll see :)

Random thought. Does it matter if the farming is behind a GUI or in-world if the net effort of each is roughly equivalent? I mean if we compare these new devices to a MFR planter/harvester setup then this is far more complex and resource-intensive. Even compared to Forestry or RotaryCraft this costs significantly more in terms of infrastructure.

I know there's this major kickback against GUIs right now, which I don't understand BTW, but if the cost and complexity of the contraption is equivalent or moreso, does it matter if it's in a GUI or not?

And speaking of set-and-forget, almost *everything* in modded Minecraft is. All automation is. I mean ... I see left and right people working to make the most efficient automated setups, all of which require no maintenance once running. It's what many of us *strive* for. So ... are we supposed to do everything manually then?

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Farming is already set and forget. This takes more infrastructure than most other farming methods and is slower and more power intensive, if you want efficiency this isn't for you. Here it is including infrastructure, minus a tree farm and power source.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Random thought. Does it matter if the farming is behind a GUI or in-world if the net effort of each is roughly equivalent? I mean if we compare these new devices to a MFR planter/harvester setup then this is far more complex and resource-intensive. Even compared to Forestry or RotaryCraft this costs significantly more in terms of infrastructure.

I know there's this major kickback against GUIs right now, which I don't understand BTW, but if the cost and complexity of the contraption is equivalent or moreso, does it matter if it's in a GUI or not?

And speaking of set-and-forget, almost *everything* in modded Minecraft is. All automation is. I mean ... I see left and right people working to make the most efficient automated setups, all of which require no maintenance once running. It's what many of us *strive* for. So ... are we supposed to do everything manually then?
That last statement, there are no real "supposed to's" in Minecraft, there are many different playing styles and I actually appreciate a more manual method of doing pretty much everything; I'm not completely against gui based TE's at all and I think Thermal Expansion has done a fantastic job of creating a lot of gameplay. I will admit that I don't view MFR the same way... but everyone is entitled to an opinion. My current automatic farming options are forestry or EnderIO on hard recipe mode but I haven't delved too far into either.
Also, net effort doesn't totally equate to either valuable gameplay or enjoyment for me, it is important but not the be all and end all of dopamine releasers.

Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Farming is already set and forget. This takes more infrastructure than most other farming methods and is slower and more power intensive, if you want efficiency this isn't for you. Here it is including infrastructure, minus a tree farm and power source.
Love that screenshot, reminds me of the old days where you had to plan your builds. Now TE needs a tree farm that doesn't involve growing trees.

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Love that screenshot, reminds me of the old days where you had to plan your builds. Now TE needs a tree farm that doesn't involve growing trees.

KingLemming
Not really. It doesn't do trees - it's a hydroponic style thing. It's also a considerable amount of RF and strictly speaking, slower than the traditional tech-based alternatives (MFR/EIO/Forestry). It's meant to be a new option, not an outright replacement.

However, it does allow you to do this entirely underground if you wish. :)

SynfulChaot
If the Thermal mods are intended to eventually be standalone capable, is there a tree farm device in the works?

KingLemming
Not at the moment. And for me personally, that'd likely end up in Ascension, since it's questionably breaking.​

Link to the Reddit thread

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
Here's why modding is a wonderful thing.
4d443da0ab.png

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
I say no but I don't know the faces of any of the devs, so is that really a mojang employee?

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I say no but I don't know the faces of any of the devs, so is that really a mojang employee?

-----------------------------------------------
Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

That's a joke video.