Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
And at that, add support to mods and whatnot for armors too. I can imagine some interesting things would come out of stuff like thaumcraft's armor and thermal expansion and blood magic and such.

Reactions: Flipz

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
I just have to interrupt. Seriously, do you think that Lex has any intend to drop whatever he is doing with forge right now, just to make an update to semi stable 1.8.1? For 1.7.x it took ten release versions to make it somehow stable. And looking at how mojang is doing code I would be very surprised (and extremely pleased) if they would make that release a final one for 1.8.x.
So seriously buckle up and don't tell big boys how to make stuff.
Also, as far I can tell this thread is for (wait for it) news and not to comment your personal issues with mc/forge versions. Some of us are visiting this thread for information.

Kamran Mackey

Jul 29, 2019
I just have to interrupt. Seriously, do you think that Lex has any intend to drop whatever he is doing with forge right now, just to make an update to semi stable 1.8.1? For 1.7.x it took ten release versions to make it somehow stable. And looking at how mojang is doing code I would be very surprised (and extremely pleased) if they would make that release a final one for 1.8.x.
So seriously buckle up and don't tell big boys how to make stuff.
Also, as far I can tell this thread is for (wait for it) news and not to comment your personal issues with mc/forge versions. Some of us are visiting this thread for information.
I know, thats why I just deleted the post.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I dislike about mods updating to 1.8, new versions normally are no longer released for 1.7.10.

This is and has always been one of the biggest problems for mods. There's a constant push to update to the latest MC version, and by the time we get to the point where everything's ported, stable, and modpacks start getting released, there's already a newer MC version out. It's just a constant workload for the modders to constantly keep everything updated.

Supposedly 1.8 will be around for a while - is there even a 1.9 planned/in progress after the whole Microsoft acquisition?

Kamran Mackey

Jul 29, 2019
This is and has always been one of the biggest problems for mods. There's a constant push to update to the latest MC version, and by the time we get to the point where everything's ported, stable, and modpacks start getting released, there's already a newer MC version out. It's just a constant workload for the modders to constantly keep everything updated.

Supposedly 1.8 will be around for a while - is there even a 1.9 planned/in progress after the whole Microsoft acquisition?
Yes, I don't think Mojang will be stopping development on Minecraft for a long time, especially now that they have an extra 2.5 billion dollars, and of course the money they are getting from Minecraft sales on PC.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

Fixing that problem is one of the reasons people still hope for mojang to get the plugin API out.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It would be nice if there was a chisel-like alternate texture for armor, such as Leather pants (Pants)/(Skirt)/(Jeans)/(Robes), Iron Chestplate (Smooth)/(large plates)/(Small plates)/(Dense scalps), Gold Helmet (Smooth)/(Crown)/(hard hat)/(Ceremonial knight), Diamond boots (Smooth)/(Bling sandals)/(Messenger)/(Magical)

There is. Sorta. RiskyKen's Armourer's Workshop allows you to make any 3d armor modal while in game. But also lets you save, upload, and download the modals. And they can be combined with any vanilla armor.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9733425/web pages/minecraft/armourers-workshop/index.htm

2014-09-07_22.31.15.png

This combined with the cosmetic armor mod and you can have any armor look like any thing.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...etic-armor-v1-0-3-because-its-important-to-be

Oh and you can make any vanilla sword look like anything too. Diamond grade glow in the dark lightsaber anyone.

BzcE5jCIIAEm0ex.png

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
How many times do we need to tell you folks to talk in the RED thread?

Always once more.
Besides, like someone already said, a list that's just change log after change log is boring. As long as it doesn't get out of hand it shouldn't be a problem. Especially since there aren't that many updates coming out at the moment.

Last edited:

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No, it probably won't be an API that lets you do almost nothing and not require you to code at all. The API has been in development for a couple years now. Pretty sure it will be an API that is actually useful. Anyway, now we can go back to the updates.
I know one thing. It will not let you get the level of customizability that hacking into the source code of MC will (yes that is what forge actually does, along with some API sugar to make some things easier). I'd rather us have to do a little more work than for us to have less creativity

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
There is. Sorta. RiskyKen's Armourer's Workshop allows you to make any 3d armor modal while in game. But also lets you save, upload, and download the modals. And they can be combined with any vanilla armor.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9733425/web pages/minecraft/armourers-workshop/index.htm

2014-09-07_22.31.15.png

This combined with the cosmetic armor mod and you can have any armor look like any thing.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...etic-armor-v1-0-3-because-its-important-to-be

Oh and you can make any vanilla sword look like anything too. Diamond grade glow in the dark lightsaber anyone.

BzcE5jCIIAEm0ex.png
People use chisel because it already provides the great textures, and this is what I want for armor. Don't get me wrong, i was aware of this mod and it looks awesome, but there are many customized block mods too, and they don't diminish chisel's value.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
People use chisel because it already provides the great textures, and this is what I want for armor. Don't get me wrong, i was aware of this mod and it looks awesome, but there are many customized block mods too, and they don't diminish chisel's value.

I know and I'm not speaking against chisel. But with this mod anyone can make new armors relatively easily.
Not just new textures, though it could have that to, but enter new modals new shapes and forms. And more importantly can share them. In terms of numbers chisel only adds a few new textures per block. This could be much more like the Hats mod with a entire database of many new modals crafted by many players.

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
I know and I'm not speaking against chisel. But with this mod anyone can make new armors relatively easily.
Not just new textures, though it could have that to, but enter new modals new shapes and forms. And more importantly can share them. In terms of numbers chisel only adds a few new textures per block. This could be much more like the Hats mod with a entire database of many new modals crafted by many players.
Yes, that's great, okay, i get it, you can make more textures and all, but the mod is simply not what i asked for: alternative textures for minecraft armor. I didn't ask for armor hats, and i didn't ask for customized blocks armor, i want chisel armor. It's different concepts, gameplay, and feel.

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
There's been talk of this "API" for years, I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming any time soon. I was always under the impression that it's actually the obfuscation that's the biggest pain with updating everything, but I'm not a modder so I really don't know.

From what I understand - with forge, if a mod author needs to something that forge can't do, they can submit a pull request and it'll be added. This won't be possible with an official api, and so Forge will probably still be required for anything beyond very basic mods.