Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
Sad to see the BoH go, it was fairly neat. Since it cycled part of your own inventory, it wasn't "yet another container to manage", and could be used to quickly change quickbar contents (such as exchanging building supplies for combat when a mob suddenly appears nearby).

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Oh man, you make me pine for my TRS-80. BASIC was nice, but I was a FORTRAN nerd. Cthulu is real... unless declared integer.
Nobody should pine for a Trash 80 unless they've run out of firewood.

On topic, I too will be sorry to see the GBoH go. It seems that every time I find a decent bag it eventually gets removed; the Golden Bags were particularly useful since they usually have enough space that I can dedicate one per mod that I walk around with, more or less. Having to head back to the terminal/warehouse/whatever every time you find yourself wanting to use something you don't have room to carry is ridiculously tedious. Modpacks were never meant for even a moderate level of portable storage.

As for routers... meh. Used them a few times, but they've always been buggy and unintuitive, and in many cases, practically useless; I mean, no wildcard? There are so many superior options there that their removal is perfectly understandable. ONLY time I could imagine using a router in 1.6 would be if I wanted to pull multiple liquids from the same side of a PumpPlus and send them in different directions, but that's not a very likely scenario, being that I typically just send everything I want to keep into the ME network via ender tanks.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
The GBoH is not the one being removed. I do not know what mod it is from, but I do not have Fz in my SSP world and yet still have the Golden Bag of Holding.
Ah, well then.

If I may quote, "Deal UNbreaker!"

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
On topic, I too will be sorry to see the GBoH go. It seems that every time I find a decent bag it eventually gets removed; the Golden Bags were particularly useful since they usually have enough space that I can dedicate one per mod that I walk around with, more or less. Having to head back to the terminal/warehouse/whatever every time you find yourself wanting to use something you don't have room to carry is ridiculously tedious. Modpacks were never meant for even a moderate level of portable storage.
The problem with portable storage is that everyone finds it convenient to store things, and many mods have these options because it's a good intro into containers and inventories and guis etc. But there never ends up being balance with all those options, TiC did it the best in my opinion but everyone else just found the system less convenient than all the others.
Also, isn't GBoH from ExU?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
The GBoH is not the one being removed. I do not know what mod it is from, but I do not have Fz in my SSP world and yet still have the Golden Bag of Holding.
Gboh is from extra utilities the bag of holding is from Fz

Reactions: trajing

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
My bad, I get easily confused when multiple mods have items with similar/identical names.

That aside, I understand where you're coming from on storage, but there are several counterarguments I might make.

The short version is, we're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.

In Vanilla there are... I don't know.... call it 500 different blocks/items, a great many of which you won't be carrying around on a regular basis. In many modpacks it easily clocks in over 10,000 and my "standard" equipment alone takes up more space than the Vanilla inventory.

Then there's the proliferation of stuff you have to go out and collect. When you have some 30 different varieties of ore, and possibly the same in rock/tree/seed/whatever variety, one trip outside the base lasts about five seconds without ways to drastically increase your carrying capacity.

Thirdly. If I do a "house call" to a friend's base, say the one I did earlier today to set up an item transfer system, I needed three bags of stuff to avoid multiple trips over 14,000 blocks distance. One had my RotaryCraft gear, one the building materials, one my assorted equipment (including an entire bar worth of tools for interacting with each mod I was using).

Finally, there's effective management of storage. To sort everything adequately when using so many mods requires an insane amount of storage, unless you want to toss everything in the ME junk drawer. Or you can set aside a bag or two per mod. Save your space, save your server.

I could probably keep going, heh. I think it's an absolute necessity though. The game is not supposed to be a giant pain in the ass.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I completely get you points and agree with them Dorque, I just wish that there was something out there that was really cool actual game content instead of being something simply born out of convenience.
One of the things that possibly follows this is the request pipe/remote requester/ender chest that logistics pipes and ender storage can put together. This in my mind is really cool gameplay, it takes some effort to set up, and isn't just 6 bags in your inventory.
I do try to force myself to be "on my game" in terms of keeping my inventory from getting cluttered.
Unfortunately at the end of the day, most people still want the convenience of a simple bag to open in their hotbar (which is reasonable), and anything that would be more realistic would need to override important player inventory things to be worthwhile/cool or still remain really powerful/convenient to compete with magic bags.

Reactions: RedBoss

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I completely get you points and agree with them Dorque, I just wish that there was something out there that was really cool actual game content instead of being something simply born out of convenience.
One of the things that possibly follows this is the request pipe/remote requester/ender chest that logistics pipes and ender storage can put together. This in my mind is really cool gameplay, it takes some effort to set up, and isn't just 6 bags in your inventory.
I do try to force myself to be "on my game" in terms of keeping my inventory from getting cluttered.
Unfortunately at the end of the day, most people still want the convenience of a simple bag to open in their hotbar (which is reasonable), and anything that would be more realistic would need to override important player inventory things to be worthwhile/cool or still remain really powerful/convenient to compete with magic bags.
I want an Ender mod so I can use ansibles to create Jane to transport stuff remotely. How's that for expensive transportation?

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I think part of it is that while yeah, the LP/ender chest setup is awesome and totally gets props, at the end of the day there are only so many mods and so much learning that I can handle - and I tend to think of myself as a pretty bright guy. Some people I know play almost exclusively with one or two core mods and sprinkle in stuff from other packs; the most automation they've ever created is putting a pressure plate in front of a door.

Everyone plays for their own reasons and has their own skill set. To some, building even simple systems is wildly tedious and uninteresting; and that's what is great about MineCraft. It has something for every style of play.

I've said it before, but I think in the long run, challenge is entirely up to you, the player. I never wiki or NEI bee or tree breeding (although in the latest server I've FINALLY started using Gendustry, because after the last five servers, bee breeding finally got kinda tedious). I don't use wikis for Thaumcraft research either. But I don't begrudge those resources being available to anyone who does want them.

My friend Ryan is a real life electronics technician, and he wants to build big, complex systems in game. That's cool. My friend Mike wants to cast magic spells and make really incredibly pretty buildings. That's cool too. I want to achieve unlimited power and play with all the cool toys. Mike's wife just wants to play with him and runs around gathering stuff for him. So on and so forth.

I know I'm way overdoing this post, but I hope the general theme is clear ;) I won't deny that it's possible for a mod to overdo ease-of-access, but for the most part I'm thrilled that everyone I know can play the same game together and have fun together.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I most certainly agree with that last point. Minecraft for everybody! :D
I don't have the mentality of having something different on servers for everybody mostly because I only play SSP, but your post makes a lot of sense.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I most certainly agree with that last point. Minecraft for everybody! :D
I don't have the mentality of having something different on servers for everybody mostly because I only play SSP, but your post makes a lot of sense.
When it comes to single player, it's even easier to say "I won't use this" ;)

I'd be singing a different tune if MC were some sort of ranked game, but it's the very best there is at being just the opposite.

DrRedstoneCreep

Jul 29, 2019
Patience, young grasshopperpadawanskywalker.

I'd like to introduce you to a useful invention called a space bar.
169243749_orig.jpg

Reactions: SynfulChaot