Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I rarely see anywhere with a vanilla ender chest on modded servers.

Due most likely to their overall uselessness when EnderStorage is installed, and because there is a mod (most likely EnderStorage) that completely disables the crafting of them.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Due most likely to their overall uselessness when EnderStorage is installed, and because there is a mod (most likely EnderStorage) that completely disables the crafting of them.
Actually, that's a config option; Ender Storage doesn't have to turn them off.

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Ender chests are a nice thing to have for vanilla MC but in the world of mods, they just don't cut it. I personally don't think they need to be disabled with CB's mod though.
I am happy that for now it seems Dmiller is sticking around modding, or at least long enough to give us another version of RemoteIO.
On a seperate note, has anyone tried using TiC alongside FMP in 1.7? You can't make any of the saws... >.< and NEI is still somewhat borked :(

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, that's a config option; Ender Storage doesn't have to turn them off.
Remember: The default option is effectively the only option. Something like 90% of config files go unchanged, so the defaults have to work.

Maybe one day, Operating System makers will understand this ... assuming that everyone on the login screen is right-handed and uses small fonts.

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
Ender chests are a nice thing to have for vanilla MC but in the world of mods, they just don't cut it. I personally don't think they need to be disabled with CB's mod though.
I am happy that for now it seems Dmiller is sticking around modding, or at least long enough to give us another version of RemoteIO.
On a seperate note, has anyone tried using TiC alongside FMP in 1.7? You can't make any of the saws... >.< and NEI is still somewhat borked :(

I don't know what's up with your version but I'm sitting pretty here.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Remember: The default option is effectively the only option. Something like 90% of config files go unchanged, so the defaults have to work.

Maybe one day, Operating System makers will understand this ... assuming that everyone on the login screen is right-handed and uses small fonts.
I think you'd be surprised. Almost everyone who runs a modded server has become, by necessity, familiar with configs and changes options to suit, and I'm guessing that the bulk of modded play is multiplayer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what's up with your version but I'm sitting pretty here.
I used subsets (and the @mod search a lot) also, the creative mode type doesn't switch over very well. Lock mode is broken and switching between recipe, utility and cheat mode is mostly broken still.
I think you'd be surprised. Almost everyone who runs a modded server has become, by necessity, familiar with configs and changes options to suit, and I'm guessing that the bulk of modded play is multiplayer.
Meh, I think there are a lot of uninformed people out there still, all you need to do is take a look at Chicken Bone's MC forum thread :p

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
I used subsets (and the @mod search a lot) also, the creative mode type doesn't switch over very well. Lock mode is broken and switching between recipe, utility and cheat mode is mostly broken still.

Meh, I think there are a lot of uninformed people out there still, all you need to do is take a look at Chicken Bone's MC forum thread :p
I don't disagree that there are a lot of misinformed people out there, but it's hard to count all the ones who know what they're doing and are quietly competent ;)

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
New GT alpha update. The tool system is now in place, meaning wrenches and hoes and hammers etc can now be crafted from many more items than before, including materials from some other mods, such as enderium (with Greg-ified tool recipes of course, similar to how they looked in 1.6).
Larger Album
jKGbzYj.png

Vanilla tools still exist of course.

I genuinely like the idea behind greg-tech, it provides a nice alternative game-play style that i think is good for the game and many people enjoy. For me, I want to remain interested in a world for as long as possible, not race through the various tech trees on the first day.
I dislike the inter-mod stuff that happens with it. I see the value, but it's not really playing nice.
The way I feel this needs to change moving forwards is that greg-tech is largely seen as a standalone mod. This is also evident through the fact that he is removing the dependency on IC2. If you want to play another mod with GT, that mod "should" have a hardcore mode designed by the author with more expensive recipes and possibly other tweaks made to it. A good example of this would be EnderIO, it has a nice option for hardcore recipes. He has an official api that the authors can use so that things don't break when you throw mods together with GT.
*should is in quotations because I don't wish to force my opinions on other devs, they can do what they want :)

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
So yeah I agree somewhat with Vapour here but I have always had the feeling that the Gregtech mod is silently judging you.
'Making a Stone pickaxe eh? What's that it broke after like 5 uses? Better make a new one.'
I want to make your mod stuff but don't flux with my vanilla.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit pissed at a certain person in the server admin area.
So, lesee what they said.
•Ban Mystcraft
•Mining World with Mystcraft
[And the part that really tickles me]
•Donator Mining World with Dense Ores.
And people wonder why I don't go on servers anymore.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a bit pissed at a certain person in the server admin area.
So, lesee what they said.
•Ban Mystcraft
•Mining World with Mystcraft
[And the part that really tickles me]
•Donator Mining World with Dense Ores.
And people wonder why I don't go on servers anymore.

That actually seems positively restrained for most public servers I've seen.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That actually seems positively restrained for most public servers I've seen.
Oh, I know. Search for BusinessElite on technicpack, they have a server... Half the things in the pack are banned, a quarter donor only, and the remaining stuff is useless.
Enter why I gave up with all servers except two, one where I have the owner as a friend, the other has a pledge of 'Any donor stuff will be unnecessary and cosmetic in nature'.

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
The way I feel this needs to change moving forwards is that greg-tech is largely seen as a standalone mod. This is also evident through the fact that he is removing the dependency on IC2.
If by dependency on IC2, you mean the E-net and many features, then yes, it isn't dependant on those. If you mean standalone from IC2, then no. He currently has no plans for that, but may do in the future. Also, greg likes other mods too much to make his mod standalone (like railcraft and AE).

'Making a Stone pickaxe eh? What's that it broke after like 5 uses? Better make a new one.'
While I agree that having stone tools with a smaller durability can be annoying, there are ways to circumvent it. Flint tools are awesome, I always end up having loads of flint from grinding gravel AE grindstones. Also that can be turned off afaik (but I understand your point).

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
I have only ever played on a really small private server with like one other person so I can't really add to how public servers run. Might give it a try at some point. I personally don't agree with the money grab that it sounds like many of them are, although they can get to be quite expensive.
As for GT, reflection at the level he does it at is wrong imho. I can see how he keeps the tie to IC2, as he is actually part of their dev team. I think in general having more expensive tools and machines is a good thing. How many of us don't have blocks and blocks of metals sitting in chests connected to quarries :p

SynysterBear

Jul 29, 2019
M
If by dependency on IC2, you mean the E-net and many features, then yes, it isn't dependant on those. If you mean standalone from IC2, then no. He currently has no plans for that, but may do in the future. Also, greg likes other mods too much to make his mod standalone (like railcraft and AE).

While I agree that having stone tools with a smaller durability can be annoying, there are ways to circumvent it. Flint tools are awesome, I always end up having loads of flint from grinding gravel AE grindstones. Also that can be turned off afaik (but I understand your point).

My point was that a mod should not mess with actual vanilla recipes or how they work in regards to uses of said tool of the durability. You want me to use your mod, let me get to it. Iron pickaxe in GT is ridiculous. You need 12 iron to make one pickaxe. 6 for the hammer and 2 iron per plate.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
M

My point was that a mod should not mess with actual vanilla recipes or how they work in regards to uses of said tool of the durability. You want me to use your mod, let me get to it. Iron pickaxe in GT is ridiculous. You need 12 iron to make one pickaxe. 6 for the hammer and 2 iron per plate.
In some ways I agree with you, but GT is really more of a total conversion than a mod, and people are free to use it or not as they see fit.

mr10movie

Jul 29, 2019
M

To turn off wood + stone durability loss:
B:smallerStoneToolDurability=true
B:smallerWoodToolDurability=true
to false

The metal ingots and plates were a bit annoying in 1.6, but in 1.7 are definitely counterbalanced by the size of the iron ore veins. They are huge, and spawn hundreds of blocks in a single vein. If you think they spawn a bit too rarely, then you can increase the rarity that they spawn. There may even be a config to turn back the recipes (There used to be, not sure about 1.7 though). Although it's not a solution, it makes it more tolerable if you aren't a fan of it.